Menu

Resources for Learning Pre-Algebra Over the Summer

My son is finishing up his 7th grade year at a private boys' school.  Previously, I homeschooled him from beginning through 6th grade.

This year has been a lost year academically for him, unfortunately, especially in math. His school uses Saxon Math 1 for 7th grade, and he was bored stiff. The school moved him up to Saxon Math 2 (8th grade) and I honestly think that's been worse for him.  We tried Saxon in the early years, and the spiral, jumping from topic to topic nature of it drove him crazy then and drives him crazy today!

I need for him to take a real Pre-Algebra course this summer, with my assistance.  We're not yet sure of his school situation for next year (possibly back home or potentially a cottage-type school), but he will need to take Algebra I during his 8th grade year.  He wants to take Alg I, as he's totally unchallenged this year.

A bit of background: This is a bright boy that catches on easily. He enjoys teaching himself, but also enjoys interaction with a teacher. He doesn't need a ton of review problems, but just enough to make sure he's got the concept down pat. Once he gets a concept, it's sealed in his brain forever.  haha.  He enjoys a mathematical challenge, or any challenge for that matter.

I have MM 7, of which he's worked about a 1/4 of the way through while on break during Christmas and Easter.

What resources do you suggest I use to get him up to speed for Algebra I this fall?

Thank you in advance for any recommendations! ?

Jousting Armadillos is short and focuses just on the pre-algebra part of pre-algebra (there's no geometry topics, for example). It's meant to be a full year course, but the Arbor School, where it originates, uses it with other enrichment activities. It's very conceptual and doesn't have a ton of practice. Depending on what kind of student he is, it might fit the bill. It asks students to write "notes to self" where they summarize the concepts and the ideas for themselves.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for your suggestions!

These ideas are quite varied, so I'm sure I can find a good fit for us.  I might look at the course syllabi for JA and Mr. D. and then pull those concepts out of our MM 7.

Really appreciate your help! ?

I doubt that drawing from the table of contents for JA will do you much good. It's such an unusual textbook - the simplicity is in the small number of problems and the way they're presented.

For a lot of kids, doing MM over the summer would be too much, even with some problems cut. It really is a full year program. But on the other hand, MM is always very flexible in some ways - you can pick and choose what pages to do. If you're able to really identify which topics you need to cover and move on when you're sure the material is mastered to your satisfaction, then MM might be fine.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yes, the Key To ... series.  I always forget about that one! Thanks!

Right after his school year ended, he took the placement test for Alg 1 (thanks dmmetler for that suggestion!).  I identified what he needed help with, and I've pulled those topics from MM 7.

He's working on it a couple of hours a day and doing great!  I really appreciate everyone's help in figuring out the right course for him.

But that MM 7... yes, it is definitely rigorous.  Wow.  But he's loving the challenge!

• Like 1