Menu

Math for non math student

Dd hates math.  We have tried about every program out there.  I think part of the problem is I just do not do a good job of teaching math.  

She has made it through Algebra I using Math Relief and half way through Algebra II with the same program.  The problem is, I'm not sure that she actually retains anything.  She does great on all the daily assignments and tests but she is unable to bring the conceptions back into new lessons that occur a few weeks later.  Needless to say, all of this math drama causes her to feel like she is stupid-which she is not-and creates a lot of self doubt that is unnecessary.  I always tell her the problem isn't her but a bad teacher (me).  She loves music and is likely not headed into any kind of a career where she is going to need to know how to do advanced math.  

So, I am feeling like we need to just move on.  She can take the courses at a community college should she ever need them for a future career.  

I would like to assess where she is at skill wise and find a program that will allow us to just work on any gaps she has in basic math skills if she has any (I don't think she does).  Otherwise, I would just like to spend next year reinforcing basic algebra and geometry skills.

Any suggestions on how/where to assess where she is at currently?  Any suggestions on a general overall math program that will hit the basics but not be to boring.  I would like to really work on word problems and every day math skills (% discounts, etc)?