Menu

After Calc AB?

DS15 goes to a small B&M school. As a sophomore next year, he will take PreCalc - he is one year ahead of his peers in math, so he may even have to do this online depending on scheduling (there is only one section of most classes at the school). Then he will take AP Calc AB as a junior (same schedule issue, probably). The school does not have a math course beyond that. We can do something online or go to the university's branch campus nearby. Skipping math senior year is not an option, he is a STEM kid. For those with experience, would you recommend AP Calc BC senior year? Something else?

The school does not have much opportunity for kids who are accelerated in math, and they have made this my problem (despite my pointing out that even our local public schools have started an accelerated math track - and they want to bill themselves as being "better" than the public schools.) DH is wondering if I should have held him back in math so avoid this problem - uh, no, this was a kid who whizzed through every math program and won the regional MathCounts in 7th and 8th grade.

4 hours ago, regentrude said:

If you have a university campus nearby, I would not bother with AP Calc BC, but have him take Calculus 2 at the university, and possibly Calc 3 the following semester. His Calc AB test score should serve to satisfy the calculus 1 prerequisite.

Thanks so much.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HeighHo said:

Your choice will depend on the schedule, the ecs and the transportation.   My dc did DE Calc 1 and 2 , a semester each, since the high school offered them on campus, then went online for Calc 3. The schedule that year had AP English at school and  AP Physics 1 online which took a lot of time (well spent) but didn't leave time to do two math classes as well as the ecs plus the travel back and forth to the high school.  Our CC and our U did not have the math classes available at times compatible with the b&m high school, plus it added another hour in transport time over coming home for the online classes so our decision was easy.  

Also, in spring semester carefully look at exam dates and final exam dates as well as paper due dates and ec weekends. There may be conflicts between ecs such as All County music, CC or U final exams, and AP exams and it may be that your CC or U takes attendance and won't excuse for AP exams or ec events. We had to be very careful with absences so as not to lose DE credit....remember varsity events may take place on a Friday during the school day, as do things like musicals which include a performance for younger students.

Thanks for offering all the scheduling points to consider!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, daijobu said:

Could he take Calc BC instead?  A STEM kid with a strong math background should do fine.  

I do think he could tackle it, but his school doesn't offer it, and with his wide range of interests (drama and a couple of varsity sports), he might not want to spend the necessary time. And if he does BC junior year, I have the "what to do senior year" dilemma." 

But thanks - so much to consider. And every time I do, I wish we were still homeschooling, but this is the kiddo who NEEDED more interaction than our homeschool community could offer.