Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

Recommended Posts

Does search still not work? Google search also barely works anymore, bears little fruit. I used to spend hours researching everything under the sun and now there's little indexed for me to search. I hate that I can't search all the old threads. Will this ever be fixed? I find myself on WTM much less b/c it is so cumbersome to find anything!

That and I get signed out all the time - and then when signing in, I'm kicked to the WTM start page and more often than not, I just decide it's not worth posting anyway.

Frustrating!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am working on getting the login part fixed. What types of searches are not working as they used to? Can you give me some examples?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

same here. i still use google, but i did pre-site change anyway as it got me better results. but google search doesn't work. examples:

acellus site:forums.welltrainedmind.com
i get 3 posts. there are NOT only 3 posts that mention acellus

pah aphug site:forums.welltrainedmind.com
i get 2 posts. not even one i penned a year ago

IS google search not working as your pages are not indexed? will this get fixed?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so will google search no longer work? Is it b/c your pages have new URLs and have not been re-indexed by google? 

i see your search works better now. i will try that. i am just used to using google search and site:forums.welltrainedmind.com and really like the format of what i find. any thoughts?

thanks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

google search is still not working properly because the tags are not working. 

So, for example, if I search "career exploration" and forums.welltrainedmind.com I will get a link that is supposedly to all threads with that tag but there is nothing there in Google.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will google search ever work properly again? I used that all the time. As someone said previously, I barely get any threads dealing with topics I search. I didn't even get a hit on a thread from a few weeks ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The forum search gives results, but when I open one result and then try to go back to the list, it gives me an error message, and makes me do the search all over again. So frustrating. ? nothing works. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, I think I know what is happening. We need to make the throttle less touchy so you don't get the restriction so much. I will work on this shortly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2018 at 11:52 PM, Roadrunner said:

The forum search gives results, but when I open one result and then try to go back to the list, it gives me an error message, and makes me do the search all over again. So frustrating. ? nothing works. 

If you are doing the search on a computer where this is possible, I've found it easiest to use the right click function to open up a new tab for each thread I want to read. (It is harder to do without a mouse, but it is possible.) Instead of clicking on the thread directly, right click and choose "open in a new tab." (Holding your finger on a link on a touchscreen also sometimes works.) This way, you can keep opening the threads without redoing the search. I've found the forum search to be a LOT better than the old days. I do miss the Google search function because it was more accurate for phrases and keywords, but I'm batting .450 for thread searches lately. :tongue:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

If you are doing the search on a computer where this is possible, I've found it easiest to use the right click function to open up a new tab for each thread I want to read. (It is harder to do without a mouse, but it is possible.) Instead of clicking on the thread directly, right click and choose "open in a new tab." (Holding your finger on a link on a touchscreen also sometimes works.) This way, you can keep opening the threads without redoing the search. I've found the forum search to be a LOT better than the old days. I do miss the Google search function because it was more accurate for phrases and keywords, but I'm batting .450 for thread searches lately. :tongue:

 

John seems to have fixed this problem.

 

google search though doesn’t work at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@OtherJohn

ETA, to clarify, no search results come up at all for me. Just the page below. 

 

This is the message I get when I try to do a forum search:

 

504 ERROR

The request could not be satisfied.


CloudFront attempted to establish a connection with the origin, but either the attempt failed or the origin closed the connection. 
If you received this error while trying to use an app or access a website, please contact the provider or website owner for assistance. 
If you provide content to customers through CloudFront, you can find steps to troubleshoot and help prevent this error by following steps in the CloudFront documentation (https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonCloudFront/latest/DeveloperGuide/http-504-gateway-timeout.html). 


Generated by cloudfront (CloudFront)
Request ID: yAIWtzHVH0zbICzCphAZf8EIQQsR4F7JUhcE6zHlyN6TmASjuoCEuw==
Edited by OKBud

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a robot.txt file or forum configuration option that prevents search engines from indexing the site? Google barely returns any results when I use it to search the forums.

Also, is there a way to make the forum search return threads instead of posts? If a thread has 15 posts in it that contain my search term, I get that same thread 15 times in the search results.

Edited by silver
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2018 at 4:33 AM, OtherJohn said:

Ok, I think I know what is happening. We need to make the throttle less touchy so you don't get the restriction so much. I will work on this shortly.

 

Whatever you did fixed the problem for a while but it’s back now. I open the result from a search and can’t go back because it is telling me I have to wait for 9 seconds between searches. Essentially after looking at something I searched, I need to do an entire new search to look at a second result. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...