Menu

Dissection class

Hey all!

Ill be teaching a dissection class for our high schoolers in co-op next year and I am looking for an idea on how many class periods different dissections may take.

classes are roughly 1 hour long.

The animals I’m considering at present are: frog, starfish, crayfish, squid, perch, shark, earthworm, and fetal pig.

We will probably end up doing a couple smaller animals taking 1-2 class periods and a larger one taking more? As well as a couple standalone organs.

The kids will be getting the final vote on which animals we are doing - I just need to know about how long these things usually take so I can have a good plan in place and know how many to offer/order.

we have a total of 12 class periods, 1 hour each. There will be 4-6 students only.

TIA!!

I just did a dissection class for 10 to 14 year olds.  We did clam, starfish, grasshopper, crayfish, perch, worm and frog.  None of them took a full hour to do, most took 30 to 45 minutes to do the actual dissection, I used the additional time to emphasize safety rules and give information on the animal and class of animals it was in.    We could have easily done both the crayfish and grasshopper or the clam and starfish in a single one hour class.  The perch and frog took the longest, about 45-55 minutes.

It may depend on the kids you have and how interested they are.  I had a couple that were more creeped out than curious.

2 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

I just did a dissection class for 10 to 14 year olds.  We did clam, starfish, grasshopper, crayfish, perch, worm and frog.  None of them took a full hour to do, most took 30 to 45 minutes to do the actual dissection, I used the additional time to emphasize safety rules and give information on the animal and class of animals it was in.    We could have easily done both the crayfish and grasshopper or the clam and starfish in a single one hour class.  The perch and frog took the longest, about 45-55 minutes.

It may depend on the kids you have and how interested they are.  I had a couple that were more creeped out than curious.

Thanks!  

I remember doing a fetal pig in high school and it taking awhile - I feel like it was a couple weeks (so five class periods).  But maybe my memory is off!