Menu

Beast Academy guiding

Dear all,

When DS gets stuck there are some times I dont even get it. I need to look a lot of time at the solutions . And today I didnt even understand it when looking at 1 answer :o 

I am glad he gets it by him self and he can explain it to me. But I am wondering if I wont get problems guiding him when we are going to move on with Art of Problem solving books. As these books are harder then Beast Academy. 

DS does not have problems with BA but its me who does not get it sometimes . Are there other mothers with these problem?

• Like 1

Yes this is me too. I would like to find a tutor/mentor to help my son. I know my son could move a LOT faster if there was someone who could help him. I’ve had him skip sections because I honestly don't understand it. I was not a total math failure in HS either.

• Like 1

That's why we went to an online class after Alg A.  I was fine for the most part during PreA, but Alg A I was shaky more often and I didn't want to do ds a disservice so we went with the online class.

However I will say that me not knowing the answer gives my son the confidence to be wrong.  It helps him to know that these are really hard problems and that the answer isn't always the point, it's the struggle. If I always knew the answer then he might be less likely to keep struggling and be more likely to ask me for help. Now he knows that's useless. 

• Like 6

Could we possibly form a thread or group where we could ask for help on those sections or questions where we are stumped? My son could not solve the last three questions in 3A. For example on 113 he found he could make a single cut that left a polygon with the same area, but not the same perimeter. Then I showed a friend who was visiting last year and she asked for graph paper and set about solving it. This led to talk of tanagrams and later Henri Picciotto’s tanagram problem books.

• Like 2

On 5/21/2018 at 12:12 PM, arliemaria said:

Could we possibly form a thread or group where we could ask for help on those sections or questions where we are stumped? My son could not solve the last three questions in 3A. For example on 113 he found he could make a single cut that left a polygon with the same area, but not the same perimeter. Then I showed a friend who was visiting last year and she asked for graph paper and set about solving it. This led to talk of tanagrams and later Henri Picciotto’s tanagram problem books.

WTM peeps often post specific math or grammar problems on these boards, so feel free to start a new thread.

I have a couple of students who are taking the online Algebra class, and I meet up with them once or twice a week to help with homework.  I work with them in person and by google hangouts with an online whiteboard.  Yes, it does get harder when you move up from BA to the intro AoPS books, though their solutions are pretty clear and detailed.  

When I started offering my services at the start of this academic year, I have received a fair bit of response from parents who can't help their kids with AoPS.  

• Like 2

I'm currently undertaking a math major at university, and some days Beast Academy is too much for me. You are definitely not alone!

I keep some lighter math options around for the days when we're not up for the really hard stuff.

• Like 2

On 5/22/2018 at 9:47 PM, Pegs said:

I'm currently undertaking a math major at university, and some days Beast Academy is too much for me. You are definitely not alone!

I keep some lighter math options around for the days when we're not up for the really hard stuff.

What are your ‘lighter math options?’ I have been trying to keep him occupied until BA Online is available. 

50 minutes ago, arliemaria said:

What are your ‘lighter math options?’ I have been trying to keep him occupied until BA Online is available. 

My kids do Singapore math workbooks when they want lighter math. Not the IP or the CWP, just the normal workbook.

7 hours ago, arliemaria said:

We always do 30min together, then DS plays 30min of Prodigy Game.

For our together lesson, our lighter-than-BA options are kumon books, card games, board games. Current favourites are Prime Climb, Mythmatical Battles, Snap 10 (like regular snap, but instead of pairs of identical numbers, you snap pairs of numbers which sum to 10). We have also used a bit of Miquon with c-rods, though DS has kind of outgrown this. 

On 5/21/2018 at 9:54 AM, visitor said:

Dear all,

When DS gets stuck there are some times I dont even get it. I need to look a lot of time at the solutions . And today I didnt even understand it when looking at 1 answer ? 

I am glad he gets it by him self and he can explain it to me. But I am wondering if I wont get problems guiding him when we are going to move on with Art of Problem solving books. As these books are harder then Beast Academy. 

DS does not have problems with BA but its me who does not get it sometimes . Are there other mothers with these problem?

I think the AoPS solutions are very clear, the book written to the student well, plus you have the videos (preA and intro Alg) to get you going in the right direction, and Alcumus for additional practice with explanations. And there are the forums where kids can ask one another for help finding solutions. I have only a few times in years of using AoPS not been able to get the solution. In which case we just look at each other oddly and try another of the same type of problem.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2018 at 12:12 PM, arliemaria said:

You can most definitely start new threads, butanother option is BA has a facebook group that you can join.

1 hour ago, desertflower said:

You can most definitely start new threads, butanother option is BA has a facebook group that you can join.

That sounds great, but I am a weird non Facebook person. I deleted my FB account I had had since like 2004 or so in college more than five years ago after major family drama.