Menu

Arrest Records?

DawnM

How do you look up public arrest records?  I found a couple sites but they want money.  I have googled the name and location but am only getting paid site info.

Is there a free site to look up or am I googling wrong?

Thanks.

It varies. Our county uses a website that is free and has about a third of our state’s counties. But the next county over from us doesn’t participate in that and they have their own, designed for lawyers, not the general public. 

You could call the courthouse and ask them if they have that info available online and where-that’s how we learned about ours. We were doing our own background checks for prospective tenants. 

It is highly localized, even within the state. You really have to target a city and/or county for your search and find out if records are public.

ETA: Try searching P2C plus name of the city/county. P2C stands for Police to Citizen.

1 hour ago, MysteryJen said:

I am curious as to why people look up arrest records. Many people are arrested and not convicted of any crime. Conviction matters; an arrest is not a conviction.

Our county provides details of how the case was resolved (conviction or not) and it is helpful for a landlord to see whether there have been previous evictions or drug issues. In our city if a person is arrested for drugs (not convicted, arrested!) landlords are required to evict them.  It’s an effort by the city to run off drug users.  No way to predict whether someone will use in the future but we could find out if they were convicted in the past. (FTR it’s a stupid policy)

I know some people who used it to check driving records of people they knew would be driving their kids, like daycare workers, coaches, etc. 

We wish we had checked the record of a roofer we hired. He ended up doing a criminally bad job and it was because he was in the midst of an alcohol problem. He got arrested about five times in a month’s time, and did our roof right after that. His wife called him in sick one day but we later found out he was in jail.  Also he was racking up judgements for bad work even though our next door neighbor used him the previous year and loved his work. Had we looked him up and seen that we would have gone with another roofer. 

1 hour ago, ThisIsTheDay said:

Not quite what you are looking for, but have you seen this? It's LA County criminal cases, and you could plug his name in.

http://www.lacourt.org/criminalcalendar/ui/

That link wants dates.  I don't have specific dates, and it says court cases that start after May 20th.  There is another search on that page but they want $4.95 per search.

Oh well.

11 hours ago, DawnM said:

That link wants dates.  I don't have specific dates, and it says court cases that start after May 20th.  There is another search on that page but they want $4.95 per search.

Oh well.

? I'm sorry, I didn't plug anything in before I posted.

You didn't post why you are looking, but LASD has an inmate locator search that shows current and former inmates. I don't know how far back it goes though. Isn't there also some sort of mug shot website? (Although it's not reliable or inclusive, I'm sure.)

I did some recent googling on a former serious boyfriend who has a VERY common name. I found him in Federal prison for a white collar crime. I know it's him because of the birthdate, plus the news articles on the case gave much detail, including his wife's name. I'd known her also, and she was convicted too. It's kind of funny, but it's more sad than funny, particularly because of the victims.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2018 at 4:48 AM, DawnM said:

How do you look up public arrest records?  I found a couple sites but they want money.  I have googled the name and location but am only getting paid site info.

Is there a free site to look up or am I googling wrong?

Thanks.

Depends on the state.