Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
PuddleJumper1

Help organizing / setting up a library

I am working on organizing and setting up the library at our church. There are already quite a few books (somewhere around 1000 I guess) but they've just been stacked in a haphazard way til now. I've got them sorted by subject so far. Next step  is cataloging them. Is there a computer program you'd recommend for that? I'd love something that takes the ISBN and gives the spine numbers and cataloging info. Does such a thing exist? Any other hints and ideas are very welcome! Thanks!!

I use Readerware, though I started so many years ago there are probably tons of other options. If people are going to check out books, will you use a physical checkout or do you want it part of the software? That's something to decide early on. I'm not sure you necessarily need tags on the spines for only 1,000 books, just me personally. You could just as easily do colored dots that correspond to shelves. I have over 7k books catalogued, so yes for my shelves I keep active use fiction, etc. organized by author. But just for 1k books, you could probably get along without it. Just pick some major categories (children's, exegetical, devotional, self-help, teaching resources, whatever) that they seem to fall into.

• Like 1