Menu

MAP Growth Assessment

Amity

Has anyone tried the MAP Growth Assessment? I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out what my 9 yo will do next year in a few subject areas, mostly because I'm having trouble determining what levels she should be at. We've been homeschooling since she was 5, and I've never had such a hard time with determining levels.  I think she jumped a lot over the past school year. She took the 4th grade Stanford 10 in order to satisfy the requirements where we live, and she hit the ceiling in every category. I am considering the grade 6+ MAP test with the optional language portion. My understanding is that it would show the grade level she is working at in different areas. 

Right now, she is using Latin Alive with me at home. I'd love to switch her to Lukeion next year and hand off the Latin baton, but I'm concerned she might be overwhelmed. It looks more rigorous than Latin Alive, it's graded, and she'd have to keep up with the pace of the class. I'd like to do biology next year, but I don't know if I should be looking at middle or lower high school text books. An accurate reading level would help with literature and history selections. 

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted to update in case it is helpful to anyone who might be searching at some point with a similar question. She did the test. We got the scores back quickly, and they were very high. The results were helpful with our math plans for next year, confirming that she should be good with the switch to aops prealgebra. The test company recommends certain minimum scores for different math classes, and hers was above their minimums for geometry (generic high school class, not aops style).   It's nice to have the reading level now, confirming that she can, in fact, read pretty much anything with age-appropriate content. We had already decided to try the Lukeion Latin class. She'll continue with the WWS 1 book. She asked to do the Art of Argument curriculum from Classical Academic Press (she was looking at their catalog), so we'll try that. I'm thinking of dropping/pausing grammar and vocabulary.  We dropped spelling earlier this year. I'm still very uncertain about history and science and open to fabulous suggestions. 

• Like 1