Menu

How would you handle this math situation?

Dd is finishing 9th grade.  She did Saxon Algebra 1in 8th grade and is doing Saxon Algebra 2 this year.  We are using the 3rd edition that has geometry included.  Math is the only subject she isn’t done or nearly done with for the year.  She on lesson 98 of 129.  

What would you do?  Make her spend the summer finishing it?  Let her wait until next school year to finish?  If she waits, what do I do about the next 3 years of math since they will be behind also?  I realizes she’s ahead of the game in math, but it’s not something I would let her not take for a semester or year just because she gets to a certain point.

Thoughts?  Is there another possibility I haven’t thought of?

I totally get spring fever.  However local schools are in session for 3 weeks.  She only has 31 lessons left.

I would do two lessons a day and then celebrate being done.

Or I would continue working it over the summer.  I wouldn't leave it to do in the fall with so much done.  If you take off a lot of summer time, you may have to backtrack to review.

3 minutes ago, Sebastian (a lady) said:

I totally get spring fever.  However local schools are in session for 3 weeks.  She only has 31 lessons left.

I would do two lessons a day and then celebrate being done.

Or I would continue working it over the summer.  I wouldn't leave it to do in the fall with so much done.  If you take off a lot of summer time, you may have to backtrack to review.

We started in July and schools here are done next week, so for us it’s time to be done.  I need the mental break that summer brings!

However, I do agree with you about not leaving it until next year.  I just don’t want to deal with it all summer.

We are in the exact same spot!  9th grade DD doing Saxon al2, in lesson 100.  My plan is to try for 2 lessons each week through the summer.  We started Al1 at Christmas of 8th grade, finished it in September of 9th grade, so am putting it on the transcript for 1st semester of 9th grade.  My kid is thinking science field, so we will be doing 4 years of math, doesn' matter what it is.  Also, some people use Adv. MATH over 2 years, so not sure how I'll record that either.  

We are behind in math too.  In our case it is AoPS Geometry.  We are doing two sessions a day, morning and afternoon, to try to finish before the public schools are out.  I think I could probably just let dd skip the last two chapters but that is not my plan at this point.  In your case, I would do whatever was necessary to finish without a long break.  I think trying to pick up in the middle after months off is going to be more trouble than dealing with it now.

14 minutes ago, skimomma said:

We are behind in math too.  In our case it is AoPS Geometry.  We are doing two sessions a day, morning and afternoon, to try to finish before the public schools are out.  I think I could probably just let dd skip the last two chapters but that is not my plan at this point.  In your case, I would do whatever was necessary to finish without a long break.  I think trying to pick up in the middle after months off is going to be more trouble than dealing with it now.

I have thought about doing 2 a day on everything else is done.  She’s going to hate it, but it may be what needs to be done.

Well, dd#2 is on Chapter 13 (of 17) in Jacobs Algebra. She's going to try to finish up this chapter, take a couple of weeks break, then work through as much as she can over the summer. Since my plan is to have do some algebra review with a different textbook while she works on Geometry next year, I'm not too worried about her finishing the entire book over the summer. Likely, she'll have some of Jacobs left when school starts in the fall.

We're not sprinting for the finish line - we're running a marathon, and in the grand scheme of things, we've only just started. She's working for understanding and retention, not completion. So, we're likely in a different situation than y'all.

• Like 1

We had something of a weird year, with routine school days broken up by trips to take a brother to college, visit my sick mom, and then attend funerals.  So DS will continue to finish up geometry and biology during the summer months.  We have finished most other subjects for the school year, so it's not that much to work on.

Math and languages are subjects that benefit from regular review over the summer anyway, so instead of review, if I were in this situation, I would just continue. Of course, if you do things differently, and most people do, this get more complicated. If she's ahead on other things, I would add more math as she finishes other things until she's just working on math. If it takes her past when the public schools let out, it shouldn't be by too much. If she's on track for other things, I would divide what's left for math into the number of days left for the public schools, plus one or two additional weeks (depending on how far behind she is) and try to increase the amount of math she does in a given day. I wouldn't double it unless she's finished with other things for the year already.