Menu

SAT scores for May 2018 exam have been released

13 hours ago, RootAnn said:

FYI, Lanny, some people's essay scores have already been released.

Hope your daughter is happy with her score! (DD#1 is done with ACT/SAT tests now! :cheers:)

RootAnn:  I read on the CollegeBoard web site yesterday that the SAT Essay scores will be released by the end of the month, but I guess they release them, after the Essays are scored and in their system, which is nice.   . I don't remember the date. Possibly by May 29th?

Congrats to your DD#1 on being finished with these tests. My DD got a 760 on the English part of the SAT, which IMO is great, but lower than expected or desired on the Math portion, so she will take the  SAT again later this year.   She will take the ACT 3 weeks from today.  She got 1400, but she is looking for at least 1450 on the  SAT.

9 hours ago, mirabillis said:

is there a good way to prep for the SAT essay by the way? we are just beginning our SAT/ACT journey...

I believe that comes with a great deal of practice over the school years. But yes, there are lots of things on the Internet, and lots of books one can purchase,  that claim to help one improve their SAT Essay scores. I believe there is a Writing thing on the IU (Indiana University) web site that probably has  a lot of helpful suggestions. OWL is the name? I will try to google it: 

Well, correct state, but wrong university.  It is at Purdue.  https://owl.english.purdue.edu/

Looks like there may also be one at IU....  Check them out...

10 hours ago, mirabillis said:

is there a good way to prep for the SAT essay by the way? we are just beginning our SAT/ACT journey...

My D used the SAT Essay by College Panda.  It was an easy/quick  book to work through with lots of examples.  She found the template provided in the workbook to be very useful on test day.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mirabillis said:

Well, I spent an hour yesterday looking for a few threads that my traditional searching couldn't find. I saw at least one and possibly two "SAT Essay" threads in the first 100 pages of the high school board. (It is really amusing how many topics come up over & over again. I saw one of the topics I recently posted on had an almost identical thread a year before. I know I searched for the topic, but my search didn't find it. Several good threads I remember & some that I didn't remember.) I can't help with the question because DD#1 didn't take either essay and I'm not sure dd#2 will either. There are some colleges that require it, but none that we're even remotely interested in.

3 hours ago, Lanny said:

RootAnn:  I read on the CollegeBoard web site yesterday that the SAT Essay scores will be released by the end of the month, but I guess they release them, after the Essays are scored and in their system, which is nice.   . I don't remember the date. Possibly by May 29th?

I guess some of the essays were already scored, so they released those scores already. I was just letting you know that the score might be there even if it says it is still pending.

• Like 1

Argh.  No scores this morning.  In fact, the test is only showing up a couple places in his account, and not in all the places it should be.  To try to retrieve scores requires either the CB Student ID (available on score reports) or the registration number from the admission ticket (tossed when he prepped for an AP exam with the same bag of stuff).

But that's ok. Because College Board has a help line - which is open M-F during east coast business hours.  I had to walk away from the computer and go drink my coffee on the porch.

I honestly do not know what CB does with all the money it collects.  https://www.academia.org/the-college-boards-sat-money-hustle/

Just going to have to enjoy a beautiful day in my remote island archipelago and work on this Monday.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Sebastian (a lady) said:

Argh.  No scores this morning.  In fact, the test is only showing up a couple places in his account, and not in all the places it should be.  To try to retrieve scores requires either the CB Student ID (available on score reports) or the registration number from the admission ticket (tossed when he prepped for an AP exam with the same bag of stuff).

But that's ok. Because College Board has a help line - which is open M-F during east coast business hours.  I had to walk away from the computer and go drink my coffee on the porch.

I honestly do not know what CB does with all the money it collects.  https://www.academia.org/the-college-boards-sat-money-hustle/

Just going to have to enjoy a beautiful day in my remote island archipelago and work on this Monday.  

I share your frustration.  I don't understand what has changed at the College Board.  Back when my college kids were taking these tests, the scores were released at 5 am, ten days after the administration of the test.  There was none of this "your score is pending" nonsense or having notification that "Your scores are coming" message on one page of the account, only to discover that the scores are actually listed on another page of the account, which happened to my D yesterday with her subject test scores.  

Hopefully those of you still waiting will get good news on Monday!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sebastian (a lady) said:

A boat?  Two boats?

However they spend it, apparently it isn't enough.  My dd took the SAT some months ago and was satisfied with her score.  The CB wasn't, and they have been pinging her every few weeks suggesting she retake it to get a higher score.  What's with these people?  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, daijobu said:

However they spend it, apparently it isn't enough.  My dd took the SAT some months ago and was satisfied with her score.  The CB wasn't, and they have been pinging her every few weeks suggesting she retake it to get a higher score.  What's with these people?  

:laugh: I think DD#1 was getting those for her ACT. Not sure if she has been able to unsubscribe yet?

Anyone remember the delayed release of the PSAT scores by region & how some people couldn't get scores even though it was their day?

• Like 2