Menu

Greek Mythology Semester--Need Help!

DS love mythology and has requested an elective semester (give or take) of Greek Mythology.  I just don't know where to start. I bought DuLaire's Book of Greek Myths, but I need some sort of a plan! Are there any available lesson plans or direction you've used or know of? I'm interested in supplementing and using other sources (Bullfinches?) and something to tie it all together, but I really don't know where to start!

DS is a rising 8th grader who reads/works well above grade level, so we can take on something challenging as well. Thanks!

I created this exact course for my daughter this year. We did a semester of Greek and a semester of World mythology. I used mythologyteacher.com for most of my outline, but I can give you my actual Greek myth semester plan if you want it. We used Edith Hamilton's Mythology as our main book.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chelli said:

I created this exact course for my daughter this year. We did a semester of Greek and a semester of World mythology. I used mythologyteacher.com for most of my outline, but I can give you my actual Greek myth semester plan if you want it. We used Edith Hamilton's Mythology as our main book.

Chelli--I did find that site yesterday, but I would LOVE LOVE your semester plan! I'll message you with my email address if that's ok. Thank you so much!

For an 8th grader, I would check out the Great Courses lectures by Elizabeth Vandiver. They are fantastic. All are very good, especially the Iliad and Odyssey ones, and she also has a course on Classical Mythology. I used them with both my kids and we really enjoyed them.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2018 at 6:11 AM, regentrude said:

For an 8th grader, I would check out the Great Courses lectures by Elizabeth Vandiver. They are fantastic. All are very good, especially the Iliad and Odyssey ones, and she also has a course on Classical Mythology. I used them with both my kids and we really enjoyed them.

Regentrude, did you do this largely as watch & read & discuss?  May I ask if you pulled any content/supplementary material from the guides?

ETA: another question -- a bit less on-topic -- I'm looking for resources to support the ancient Greek comedies.  If y'all did any of the comedies, did you find good support materials?

On 5/20/2018 at 6:39 AM, mama25angels said:

Chelli, if you can, would you please post the schedule here also?

Sorry, I just saw this. Here's the link: https://docs.google.com/file/d/1FO8qiQWaq9AikWXOsffdDQIouBbi58BE/edit?usp=docslist_api&filetype=msword

It is very much designed for my oldest who enjoys writing and projects so feel free to adapt as needed. There's also a mini unit about superheroes stuck in the middle because a lot of comic book heroes have their origins or counterparts in mythology.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Chelli said:

Sorry, I just saw this. Here's the link: https://docs.google.com/file/d/1FO8qiQWaq9AikWXOsffdDQIouBbi58BE/edit?usp=docslist_api&filetype=msword

It is very much designed for my oldest who enjoys writing and projects so feel free to adapt as needed. There's also a mini unit about superheroes stuck in the middle because a lot of comic book heroes have their origins or counterparts in mythology.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2018 at 5:30 PM, Chelli said:

Thank you so much for sharing this! My son will love this!

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 4:30 PM, Chelli said:

Thank you so much for sharing. Opened up this forum for another topic, saw this one and …. Anyway, my next project is to plan our Greek Mythology section. 

• Like 1