Menu

Another School Shooting - Santa Fe TX

TechWife

3 hours ago, Corraleno said:

From the LA Times:

Male entitlement to the attention, affection, and bodies of women needs to be part of the conversation, too.

I just read about this too, and I agree with you. Wasn't surprised at all. How very very sad.

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them, women are afraid that men will kill them." Margaret Atwood.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Corraleno said:

How does murdering rape victims preserve "the clan"? Family units would cease to exist if fathers didn't murder their 12 year old daughters for refusing to marry some 50 year old that dad cut a deal with??? Whole cultures would be wiped out if women weren't murdered by their own relatives for the crime of wanting a say in who they marry?

No, it's not "understandable." No, the survival of clans and families do not ever depend on the murder of women. What the heck???

It looks like this: "I have loaned you $$$ and you can't pay me back. Instead I require your 12 year old daughter as my 3rd wife. If you don't give her to me, we will drive your family out of our village by social and financial pressure, including violence." Since girls don't matter that much, you give away your 12 year old to preserve your family.

Or it looks like this: Your daughter is raped and is no longer "virtuous." No other family will allow their sons to marry her. She is now a liability because she remains a mouth to feed in your family rather than an asset to her husband's family (as a cook, maid, caretaker of his parents, and bearer of his children). In anger and due to societal pressure, she's killed by her father or brothers.

This is how it works. Of course it's barbaric and misogynistic! But if one subscribes to this belief system (religious and societal), it's also "understandable" in the same way that pagan cultures sacrificed their babies to the gods because they wholeheartedly believed that it would help their clan win a war. Or it would appease the god of rain and their crops wouldn't continue to wither.

Saying something is understandable in this context means "it follows" given the mentality of the participants. This is why education, access to healthcare (including birth control) and empowerment of girls and women is such a major thrust in so many parts of the world. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

Art Acevedo, Houston police chief, Facebook posting:

21 hours ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.texasobserver.org/houston-police-chief-art-acevedo-sanctuary-union-guns/amp/

I think he fits in nicely with Houston and is a popular official. Then again, the typical Houstonian isn’t quite the Neanderthal so many Americans appear to be. My apologies to the original Neanderthal, I’d thought about using the words ignorant redneck but that seems to upset some here.

I have to give Old Art his due here.  I pretty much hated him every single moment that he was APD police chief. He certainly has learned and grown in Houston. As we all do, over time, I assume.

• Like 3