Menu

iphone to android -- good camera?

happypamama

I currently have an iPhone 5s.  I like it fine, but I'd like to upgrade, mostly for a better camera.  The iPhone 6 is a reasonable price, but since they're all the way up to the iPhone 8 and iPhone X now, I kind of don't really want to go up to just a 6, but the 7 is out of my price range.  I'd like to stay under $250.  So I'm wondering if I could switch to Android and get a better quality phone for that price, something more similar to the iPhone 7.  Does that make sense?  I am not wedded to my iPhone; I could get used to Android easily enough.

Caveats: I want it to work with StraightTalk, and I don't want something super huge.  I have small hands and like the small size of the 5s just fine but could go a little bigger.  I don't need a huge amount of space; my 5s has 16GB and is rarely full.  Certified refurb is okay.

It is little more for new (not sure what used prices are) but the Moto X4 has a pretty good camera.  The actual phone, new, is $299.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1357016-REG/motorola_pa8s0006us_moto_x_4th_gen.html

This company is EXCELLENT.  We have ordered large ticket items from them, cameras, a $1500 Cintiq, and most recently, a Macbook Pro.  No tax, no shipping, and they stand by their stuff.

I had this phone for a while when I was trying to switch to Republic Wireless, but I couldn't deal with not having an iPhone so I sold my Moto X and went back to iPhone.

You will get the most "bang for the buck" with a Motorola phone or a Lenovo phone. Lenovo owns Motorola Mobility.  We have a neighbor who is an Electronic Engineer for one of the major cell providers here. He has worked for them for more than 20 years. Most of the phones he buys are Motorolas, but occasionally he will buy a Samsung.  All 3 of those brands are excellent, but you will get more for your dollar with a Motorola or Lenovo.  And, Samsung phones are a little more difficult to use.

Except for my old (2014) low end Samsung, all the other phones in the house are Motorola or Lenovo phones that were purchased in a superstore (ALKOSTO) Unlocked and Unbranded with a one year manufacturers warranty.

Good luck with whatever you buy!

Huawei P10  has a very good camera. I have one.  I only know UK prices but they're coming down because the P20 just came out. The only negative I've found is that the range of cases is a bit limited and good screen protectors are hard to find because like a lot of phones it has a very slightly curved screen at the edge.