Menu

Self Directed Elementary Latin Recs

How old? SSL is not teacher intensive but it is teacher dependent.  They can review the songs on their own, but the game playing and the a portion of the workbook need you.

If your elementary student is older (10+?) you could try Getting Started with Latin. After doing about 20 lessons together my ds took over semi-independently  at around age 10 (I was there for questions and to touch base with him to review things regularly ).

I personally think ANY subject below about age 10 is difficult or age inappropriate to do completely independently.  They just need so much guidance still, and it’s so much easier to prevent bad habits or incorrect learning than to correct it later.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Targhee said:

@homeschoolwarrior just wanted to come back and apologize if my post sounded snarky or judge mental. It wasn’t intended to be! You asked for an independent elementary Latin, not my $.02 on what ages can work independently. I do hope you find what you are after!

You weren't snarky or anything at all!  Even though my oldest is nearly 10, I still feel like a rookie.  So I really appreciate the advice.  What you said about age 10 makes total sense.  We have a house full of kiddos, so I am trying to figure out how to get everything in with everyone when all of our subjects are teacher intensive.  I am thinking maybe Latin ought to wait a few years though.  Anyway, thanks for the thoughts!

• Like 2

We did the SSL DVD's and Dinolingo DVDs for exposure only. I did have my DD do the workbook and she was very independent with that at 11yo. But I kept this as a light subject where I popped in the DVD and took a break to prep dinner or something, not as a hard-core subject. 

• Like 1

I think a 10 year old can manage Song School Latin on his own - with you checking his workbook and available if he has any questions.  The program is so basic that you should be able to answer his questions without much effort.  SSL is a nice way to introduce young kids to Latin.  Four years later and my kids still remember the songs.  

Song School Latin 1 and 2 we’re both independent for my youngest at 8. She did need help getting the DVDs to the correct chapter. I put the cd’s on my computer and she listened to them easily. 

My 11 and 10 year old did LforC A this year independently. I’m learning it as well but I didn’t do it with them. I did correct their work and have them fix missed translations. 

It depends on how interested the child is in Latin I think. DS was not happy about learning Latin but it’s now his favorite subject because of SSL. He loves the DVD. It’s meant to be a weekly program but he wants to do it daily. He is 8 and loves putting it on everyday. The workbook is super easy and very independent. I do watch him when he does it and remind him if he is confusing words. It also depends on what you are looking for. SSL is vocab so it’s not very difficult. I do enjoy the DVD when they talk about words that come from Latin in English and they also mention the main words in Spaand French. I’m hoping since it’s fun that it will encourage DS to be interested in it when it gets harder. He requested SSL2 because he likes it so much.