Menu

Pointer to thread on AP CalcBC vs AoPS?

I'm sure I've seen references to a thread on the delta between AP CalcBC and AoPS Calculas.  I've searched for all the keywords I can think of and I'm not finding it.

Can someone post (or pm me) a pointer?

We've home-taught math using AoPS books thus far and are planning on continuing through CalcBC.  I understand it's not an exact match, though, and want to understand the delta.

I think what OP is referring to is that the AoPS class is not geared to the BC test. It isn't geared toward any test. So, she wanted to know what type of self-study a kid would need to do to be prepared for the BC exam. (Does the AP Calc exam expect a student to have & use a graphing calculator?)

16 hours ago, AEC said:

We've home-taught math using AoPS books thus far and are planning on continuing through CalcBC.  I understand it's not an exact match, though, and want to understand the delta.

‘In terms of the CalcBC exam, DS13 didn’t have any holes to patch in terms of content when he took it last May and he used AoPS books from prealgebra to calculus. We did however use the FRQs on the CollegeBoard website to prep so that he would write his answers in the style that is preferred by graders. 

2012 full exam including MCQ and scoring guidelines https://secure-media.collegeboard.org/digitalServices/pdf/ap/ap-calculus-bc-practice-exam-2012.pdf

CollegeBoard past year FRQ exams with scoring guidelines https://apstudent.collegeboard.org/apcourse/ap-calculus-bc/exam-practice

1 hour ago, RootAnn said:

I think what OP is referring to is that the AoPS class is not geared to the BC test. It isn't geared toward any test. So, she wanted to know what type of self-study a kid would need to do to be prepared for the BC exam. (Does the AP Calc exam expect a student to have & use a graphing calculator?)

AP Calculus AB & BC as well as AP Statistics are the exams that need a graphing calculator. That’s how I interpreted OP’s question as well. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, AEC said:

I'm sure I've seen references to a thread on the delta between AP CalcBC and AoPS Calculas.  I've searched for all the keywords I can think of and I'm not finding it.

Can someone post (or pm me) a pointer?

A couple threads from last summer:

AoPS vs PAH for AP Calculus BC

FYI: AoPS Calculus class is now CollegeBoard approved for AP Calculus BC (include Fall 2016 class)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kathy in Richmond said:

Do you think it would make sense to do a standard BC Calc course at PAH and then follow it up with AOPS? I know that for Algebra that would be worth it (say a PS kid taking Algebra 2 at school and Intermediate Algebra at AOPS). Is Calculus the same way? 

9 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Do you think it would make sense to do a standard BC Calc course at PAH and then follow it up with AOPS? I know that for Algebra that would be worth it (say a PS kid taking Algebra 2 at school and Intermediate Algebra at AOPS). Is Calculus the same way? 

Hmm...I suppose you could do that. But I'd probably be more inclined to move on after BC calculus, provided the class was completed successfully and the AP score showed mastery. You could always get the AoPS book to supplement on the side while doing the PAH course. Or you could wait till university and retake calculus there. Colleges usually offer a more theoretical level in addition to the standard freshman calc class.

Also, a student who's going on to study multivariable calculus and diff eq's will have plenty of opportunities to keep his basic calculus fresh.

• Like 1

AOPS offered an extra class on calculator use close to the AP test date when my dd took the class last year. They did not actively prep for the exam so you will need to do that but the class ends about 2-3 weeks before the AP exam so there is time for prep. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Lilaclady said:

AOPS calc is now accredited by the college board as AP calc BC class. I don’t understand the question. 

That was my understanding as well, but I couldn't find it on the AP course ledger when I looked the other day. Is it still AP approved?

11 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

I asked RR at AoPS this exact question a few years back.  RR told me that since my son received a 5 on the AP exam, that he would not recommend taking the AoPS course as my son wouldn't learn any new material.  We followed his advice and have no regrets. (Son is now a math and computer science major finishing up his junior year at MIT)

• Like 3