Menu

Open Tent Academy Writing vs Essentials in Literature with Scoring

Can anyone compare these two? I've read nothing but good reviews for Eva at Open Tent Academy and I love the (mostly) every other week schedule. On the other hand, Essentials in Writing with scoring gives me the freedom to work at our own pace but with feedback.

I'd appreciate any thoughts. I have an 8th grader working well above grade level for every subject except he is a pretty average writer. I don't want writing skills to hold him back from the higher level science and literature courses he is interested in and really want to beef up his writing. Thus far we have done Write Shop I (about 1.5 years of the program) and a Write at Home Intensive this past spring focusing on research papers which he enjoyed. He definitely enjoys non-fiction writing more than fiction!

Thanks!

I cannot compare them, but my son used EIW with scoring service this year. We were very pleased. The feedback was great and he worked to improve his writing .... that being said, we aren’t planning to use it again next year in favor of either Byline, or a DIY approach.  

Just an FYI to be VERY CAREFUL with Open Tent - they have a NO REFUND policy, not even 5 months before the class starts, no partial refunds etc.  The only way to get a refund is if you find someone to fill your space in the class.  So be really sure you want the class before signing up, and that there will be no schedule changes etc. 

• Like 1

We've taken online classes for 6 years now and many don't offer refunds;  this doesn't scare me off.  I like knowing that the guidelines are clearly spelled out on provider websites and that's the case with OTA.  We've had to switch classes due to scheduling conflicts and other reasons and found this process worked seamlessly. 

OTA's English classes have a been a gold mine for us.  This was the first time both girls (ages 12 and 15) weren't in tears.  Frustration during the writing process was minimal due to the classroom lectures, detailed instructions and handouts, and feedback. 

On 5/24/2018 at 1:12 PM, LAR said:
We've taken online classes for 6 years now and many don't offer refunds;  this doesn't scare me off.  I like knowing that the guidelines are clearly spelled out on provider websites and that's the case with OTA.  We've had to switch classes due to scheduling conflicts and other reasons and found this process worked seamlessly. 

OTA's English classes have a been a gold mine for us.  This was the first time both girls (ages 12 and 15) weren't in tears.  Frustration during the writing process was minimal due to the classroom lectures, detailed instructions and handouts, and feedback. 

Thank you so much! We bit the bullet and went for it especially since there was one spot open for middle school writing and a discount code available since she had some website issues. I am very much looking forward to the every other week schedule, and I've read nothing but good things about Eva! I appreciate hearing your daughters' good experiences!

• Like 1