Menu

Common App Essay Question

I'm messing around on the Common App interface & have noticed something with a couple colleges which require an essay. The Common App says that their standard essay is required, but in the case of two universities which are on DD's list, different essay topics are requested on the college's own application.

For example, Truman State University lists three options. None of them (except the "write about a topic important to you") line up with the Common App essay choices. Yet, at this point, just messing around on the Common App site, I can't see where Truman shows their three choices instead of the regular essay choices. (No writing supplement listed.)

I can't link to the other school I've seen where this is the case, but I have another PDF application that lists different essay topics. So, if you choose to fill out the Common App, you just choose from those topics & if you fill out the school's application, you choose their essay prompts?

One side question - if Common App says a school's application can be completed through them but the school's website doesn't link to or list the Common App, am I correct in thinking that one shouldn't submit an application to them through the Common App? (Example:  Middle Tennessee State says to use their online application, but the Common App lists them as one of the schools who use their services.)

Many schools have supplemental essays on the Common App.  The student writes the Common App essay.  Then, when they add the school, the school's supplement appears which has any other essays they require.  There may be an option to not send the Common App essay if they don't need it.   I can't say that this is the case for Truman State since we didn't apply there, but we did find that many schools had additional requirements in their supplement.  

ETA:  As far as schools being on the Common App, but not noting anything about that on their admissions websites, I would call the school to verify.  Some don't mention it until you hit the Apply Now button.  But in your example, Middle Tennessee State doesn't mention it anywhere on their website.  

2 hours ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

Many schools have supplemental essays on the Common App.  The student writes the Common App essay.  Then, when they add the school, the school's supplement appears which has any other essays they require.  

This was our experience as well.