Menu

Books to supplement history reading--Terrorism, Gulf War, Present Day topics

tmstranger

I'm noticing that as we reach the end of SOTW 4, there are not as many book suggestions to supplement the reading. 

Does anyone have any good suggestions for books you've found for this time period?  I've searched a few topics in my library system, but they literally have one juvenile book for each topic, and I have no idea how good any of those are.  I've requested them, but I'm looking for other options. 

So, we're talking about The Persian Gulf War, Terrorism, and anything closer to present day. 

Thanks.

Picture books:

• The Little Chapel that Stood, by A. B. Curtis
  • America is Under Attack: September 11, 2001: The Day the Towers Fell, by Don Brown
  • Don't Forget, God Bless Our Troops, by Jill Biden
  • The Librarian of Basra: A True Story from Iraq (Jeanette Winter)

Globalization: 1977-2008 (Graphic novel style U.S. History)

Towers Falling, by Jewell Parker Rhodes (chapter book set 15 years after 9/11)

29 minutes ago, texasmom33 said:

What ages and how sensitive of readers?

Not sensitive at all, and ages 10 and 14, but I need something that won't take them forever to read.  I found a good suggestion on terrorism, but it was 379 pages, so I know we'd never get through it for that one topic.

17 minutes ago, Sherry in OH said:

Picture books:

• The Little Chapel that Stood, by A. B. Curtis
  • America is Under Attack: September 11, 2001: The Day the Towers Fell, by Don Brown
  • Don't Forget, God Bless Our Troops, by Jill Biden
  • The Librarian of Basra: A True Story from Iraq (Jeanette Winter)

Globalization: 1977-2008 (Graphic novel style U.S. History)

Towers Falling, by Jewell Parker Rhodes (chapter book set 15 years after 9/11)

Thanks.  I'll go see if I can find them...the Globalization book is exactly the type of thing I'm looking for.  My library doesn't have it, but I'm searching ILL.

I read Towers Falling for Battle of the Books, and I didn't personally like it. :) I guess there isn't much out there, though.

12 hours ago, texasmom33 said:

I looked through the non-fiction I have and they're all too long- more along the lines of 300-500 pages which I know is not what you're looking for.

You might check out The Kite Runner. It's been a really long time since I read it though, so I'd definitely check for appropriateness for your younger son in particular. Hosseini is a stunning writer, but his books can be gut-wrenching. They've all run together for me, so I can't remember how intense Kite Runner is. 

I loved The Kite Runner.  My youngest definitely wouldn't read it (it would take him forever b/c he reads so slow!), but I will suggest it to my older kiddo...he's my big reader.  I've thought of recommending it before, but I do know it has some rough scenes.  I don't censor much, but I "avoid recommending." :)

I did find two books at my library that I've requested.  They are short, but I've used the series before, so I'm hoping it will fit the bill.  The 1980 decade in pictures, and the same for 1990s.  I like things that cover the overall culture and feel of the decades that will give other info beyond SOTW. 

Thanks for the other suggestions everyone!