Menu

Novare or Apologia for Physical Science?

I'm hoping the experienced people on this board will have some advice. I'm teaching Physical Science to an 8th grade co-op class this coming year. I haven't taught it before, and I was planning on using Apologia, but have been wondering about whether I should use Novare instead. No particular reason except that it has come up in conversation a few times, and I'm not super familiar with either text, TBH. (Lots of summer homework coming up for me!)

Does anyone have experience with both or either of these? Any compare/contrast thoughts on one versus the other? Tips? Ideas? Which one might be better?? 

TIA for any help!

My 8th grade DS just finished using the Physical Science Apologia text in a co-op class and we both strongly suggest you avoid it. It started out pleasantly enough but by the middle of the year we were both tearing our hair out due to the author's "chatty" and meandering style of writing. He often uses two or three different terms interchangeably for the same concept but does not explain he is doing this so it can get very confusing.  He could have used a good editor, imo. The On Your Own questions were maddening to answer although the Study Guide questions at the end of each chapter weren't too bad. The tests place a heavy emphasis on memorizing elaborate definitions (if you plan on giving closed book tests which my son's co-op teacher did). There is almost no review built into the lessons/chapters. My son did quite well in the class but it took a huge amount of effort on my part for that to happen.

I don't know about the Novare text but ANYTHING has to be better than the Apologia Physical Science textbookfor 8th grade!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/18/2018 at 2:59 PM, scholastica said:

I like Novare a lot better. The experiments are difficult to do at home, though.  I like the Mastery learning model. The constant review is so helpful.

On 5/18/2018 at 4:14 PM, Laurel-in-CA said:

We liked Novare -- did it in a co-op class. I have the textbook for sale -- $40 ppd -- if you're interested.

Hmm, this is great info, and food for thought. Someone IRL told me that Novare is a lot more math-heavy than Apologia, and is really geared for high school. Did you find this a problem? It kind of worries me with the class I'm going to be teaching, if that is the case.

I'm meeting with my co-teachers tomorrow; I think I might see if I can grab a copy of the Novare text locally and talk it over with them. ?

On 5/18/2018 at 4:34 PM, CAtoVA said:

My 8th grade DS just finished using the Physical Science Apologia text in a co-op class and we both strongly suggest you avoid it. It started out pleasantly enough but by the middle of the year we were both tearing our hair out due to the author's "chatty" and meandering style of writing. He often uses two or three different terms interchangeably for the same concept but does not explain he is doing this so it can get very confusing.  He could have used a good editor, imo. The On Your Own questions were maddening to answer although the Study Guide questions at the end of each chapter weren't too bad. The tests place a heavy emphasis on memorizing elaborate definitions (if you plan on giving closed book tests which my son's co-op teacher did). There is almost no review built into the lessons/chapters. My son did quite well in the class but it took a huge amount of effort on my part for that to happen.

I don't know about the Novare text but ANYTHING has to be better than the Apologia Physical Science textbookfor 8th grade!

OK...wow...thank you for this!! I have skimmed the text but not read it in detail, and was already thinking I might be telling the kids to just skip certain pages...<sigh> And that's a real bummer about the review, but in line with what I"ve seen from Apologia with their other science texts that I've used. 

1 hour ago, Piper said:

Hmm, this is great info, and food for thought. Someone IRL told me that Novare is a lot more math-heavy than Apologia, and is really geared for high school. Did you find this a problem? It kind of worries me with the class I'm going to be teaching, if that is the case.

I'm meeting with my co-teachers tomorrow; I think I might see if I can grab a copy of the Novare text locally and talk it over with them. ?

I didn’t find it too Math heavy. All Physical Science at this level has pre-Algebra as a pre-req. If your students have taken pre-algebra or are at that level, they’ll be more than fine. What we did find is that on the later quizzes, there were often conversions that involved going between the English system and the Standard system. It’s good practice but kind of overkill. You can always look at those and decide what to do. 

17 hours ago, Piper said:

Novare Physical Science is aimed at grades 6-8. They do have other, HS level texts.