Menu

Yet another Horse study?

My daughter has requested yet another horse related study. We have done Beautiful Feet History of the Horse, I am looking into Winter Promise Equine Science, and I am planning to purchase the Homeschool Legacy Horse Unit Student. I am hoping for something on a high school level. Thoughts? Suggestions? If we could integrate it with Sonlight's Core 100 (American History In-Depth) that would be ideal. I am also willing to write my own lesson plans if needed. Help a mama out!

I had two horse crazy girls do WP's Equine Science a year or two ago. We were underwhelmed (for such a price, too!).

What exactly is she looking for? Science? Lit? History? I seem to remember there are equine science MOOCs. We weren't ready for those yet . . . 

7 hours ago, Margaret in CO said:

Look into the Horseless Horse 4-H project. You don't have to belong to 4-H to buy the book. Or buy Centered Riding, Parelli books, books on race horses such as Secretariat and $80 Champion, & anatomy coloring book. Or Equine Science by Parker--it's the standard text. https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/equine-science_rick--parker/527148/?mkwid=sURE13OvE|dc&pcrid=70112893392&pkw=&pmt=&plc=&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0PTXBRCGARIsAKNYfG2KRKu2gwbyclLeYSl5J2z48a52oCbPUmBV2GAiTPewrZx6oTm4W7UaAj9eEALw_wcB#isbn=0827371365&idiq=4628180

https://www.alibris.com/search/books/isbn/9781418032548?bookbin=14727852543&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0PTXBRCGARIsAKNYfG2j_hKNGjbW2LWb87bN04fBvYEwJb5njfKY-MH0o3vII1TCWVq7GeAaAufUEALw_wcB

She has a horse and is in 4-H. We have exhausted their resources. She has done Parelli and Clinton Anderson Clinics, as well as a couple of lesser-knowns. She has read every book in every library that we could find and completed literature studies on some of those. Movies, all we can find.

I will look into the Parker book. Thanks!

8 hours ago, RootAnn said:

I had two horse crazy girls do WP's Equine Science a year or two ago. We were underwhelmed (for such a price, too!).

What exactly is she looking for? Science? Lit? History? I seem to remember there are equine science MOOCs. We weren't ready for those yet . . . 

I wish we both knew. I let her interests lead this and so far it has been a combination. She is not interested in showing, but in being a trainer. What is a MOOC?

1 hour ago, PentecostalMom said:

What is a MOOC?

Massive Open Online Courses. EdX, Coursera, etc. 

Okay, I found this no-so-old thread on Equine Science texts/programs. There might be some links that are helpful. Coursera has one on Basic Care & Management right now. If you have a self-directed learner who learns well online, they are a good way to go. 

On 5/17/2018 at 7:10 PM, PentecostalMom said:

I wish we both knew. I let her interests lead this and so far it has been a combination. She is not interested in showing, but in being a trainer. What is a MOOC?

An equine science course does not teach horse training.  If she is wanting more training related content then you should get more practical books instead of looking for an equine science book.  It sounds like she needs to move up to more specific and in-depth resources.  As an equine science major, it’s a pretty basic content area and easy to max out.  Then you have to move more to veterinary science or toward the practical.

There are books for discussing farrier education, massage, first aid, behavior, ground training, clicker training, training for the different disciplines, nutrition, stable management.  If she has a horse, maybe a project, take a groundwork book and work through the exercises, instead of looking for a course.  If she wants to focus on nutrition she can use NRC data (http://nrc88.nas.edu/nrh/) to formulate rations.  Can you look for working student opportunities at a barn?  Those are much more worthwhile for someone interested in horse training.

Stefanie

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sdel said:

An equine science course does not teach horse training.  If she is wanting more training related content then you should get more practical books instead of looking for an equine science book.  It sounds like she needs to move up to more specific and in-depth resources.  As an equine science major, it’s a pretty basic content area and easy to max out.  Then you have to move more to veterinary science or toward the practical.

There are books for discussing farrier education, massage, first aid, behavior, ground training, clicker training, training for the different disciplines, nutrition, stable management.  If she has a horse, maybe a project, take a groundwork book and work through the exercises, instead of looking for a course.  If she wants to focus on nutrition she can use NRC data (http://nrc88.nas.edu/nrh/) to formulate rations.  Can you look for working student opportunities at a barn?  Those are much more worthwhile for someone interested in horse training.

Stefanie

I am not looking specifically for Equine Science, and I am aware that Equine Science does not teach horse training. We have owned horses for nearly two decades and my eldest daughter is majoring in Equine Science with a specialization in Equine Husbandry at Texas A&M and also rides pro rodeo. ?

For this daughter, if she is going to own horses and train horses (which she already does), she needs to have solid knowledge of horse anatomy and care. She is the first line of defense to identify and prevent injuries, to control pests, and to determine if the horse is in need of more care than we are able to administer at home. If she desires to be a trainer, she needs to be well-versed in all aspects of the horse, not simply training. Some of the other areas that you mentioned: groundwork, farrier, nutrition, stable and barn management, those can easily be part of a horse study. Some of these she has already delved into.

Because of her age, there is only one local horse facility that is willing to have her on (and on very sporadically) as a barn hand. As she gets a little older, more of these opportunities will open to her. As it is, she would like a study that is already laid out. It can incorporate any aspects of the horse, not just science, not just training. I may end up pulling together my own from some of the sources mentioned. I am sure I will find other resources as I am looking at these.

Thanks to everyone for your help and I am still looking if anyone has more to add.

• Like 1

Have you seen this course?  Equine Health Studies  My dc took it several years ago.  It was a fairly light course for someone already very familiar with horses, but dc enjoyed it and appreciated the emphasis on anatomy. It looks like all of the materials have not yet been decided.  When dc took it they used the Dover Horse Anatomy  coloring book currently listed plus the text Raising Healthy Horses.  Since that's not listed currently, perhaps the instructor is trying to find something else.  I had dc read Parker's Equine Science for additional info and also had dc write several papers.  

7 hours ago, PentecostalMom said:

I am not looking specifically for Equine Science, and I am aware that Equine Science does not teach horse training. We have owned horses for nearly two decades and my eldest daughter is majoring in Equine Science with a specialization in Equine Husbandry at Texas A&M and also rides pro rodeo. ?

I went through the same program, in my equine 101 class I learned not one new thing.  We even used the same “textbook” that is a basic horse owner manual that I used in my high school equine class. https://www.amazon.com/Horses-Guide-Selection-Care-Enjoyment/dp/0805072519/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1526761566&sr=1-2&keywords=horses%2C+Evans 

For the record, the first statement made in class after the prof introduced themself was that all the people who were looking to be trainers or barn managers.....this was not the program for them.  I agree, the program is lacking in hands on instruction and assumes a lot of prior knowledge in regards to horsemanship.

I think you will be hard pressed to find anything novel in a kid’s equine course if she’s already burned through 4-H/pony club materials.  That’s why I suggested more specific practical materials might be more appropriate. 

Stefanie

1 hour ago, Sdel said:

I went through the same program, in my equine 101 class I learned not one new thing.  We even used the same “textbook” that is a basic horse owner manual that I used in my high school equine class. https://www.amazon.com/Horses-Guide-Selection-Care-Enjoyment/dp/0805072519/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1526761566&sr=1-2&keywords=horses%2C+Evans 

For the record, the first statement made in class after the prof introduced themself was that all the people who were looking to be trainers or barn managers.....this was not the program for them.  I agree, the program is lacking in hands on instruction and assumes a lot of prior knowledge in regards to horsemanship.

I think you will be hard pressed to find anything novel in a kid’s equine course if she’s already burned through 4-H/pony club materials.  That’s why I suggested more specific practical materials might be more appropriate. 

Stefanie

I do not think she has that book, but I am not certain. I will check into it. I do have a friend that will let her be an assistant to the trainer/program manager, but not until next spring when she is a little older. Just trying to make it through!