Menu

Henle to Wheelock's?

Dd is doing Henle Year 1. If she wanted to transition to a Latin sequence that uses Wheelock's, how would she go about that?

Since she is stuck on a mid-year to mid-year schedule (she'll take the Unit 2/ Midterm exam next week), should she finish Unit 5 next December then spend the spring reviewing the first half of Wheelock's? This would enable her to join a Latin 2 class the following year. Or would it be better to just jump in at the beginning of Wheelock's next year? She likes Henle, but I'm trying to get narrowed down to one provider for classes that aren't self-paced or home taught.

Is there a point in the Henle sequence that is equivalent to the whole Wheelock's book?

Is there a video/ self-paced course for Henle I've overlooked? We're doing pretty well with just books right now, but it's mostly review from elementary Latin.

Thanks!

If you know where you want her to take Latin with Wheelock's, I would ask that provider. They'll probably have had experience with students transitioning from Henle and have some idea what the best way to transition is.  Ideally, they'll have some sort of placement test.

If you know she will be transitioning to Wheelock's at some point, and if the provider she'll be transitioning to uses Wheelock's over two years, I would just move to Wheelock's 1 in the fall rather than spending any more time on Henle.

Actually, I guess I would just go directly to Latin 1 with Wheelock's in the fall. There's a lot to be said for the continuity she'll have by doing all of the Wheelock's text. Much grammar & maybe most of the vocab. will be review for the first few chapters of W's, which will give her a solid but gradual start. Undoubtedly, the pace will pick up as she moves into new material after the first few chapters.

• Like 3

Seconding Yvonne RE contacting the provider, and also planning to begin Latin 1 in the fall with Wheelock's if that's possible.  There's a chunk of Wheelock's vocabulary that she won't have if she goes from Henle to Latin 2, and the translation exercises in Wheelock's cover a broader range of sources (I believe), so her transition should be much smoother. 

• Like 1

Okay, thanks. The provider did say she probably would need to start over, but offered a placement test. I'm really trying to not have any live courses this next year because we're traveling. I think she could mover through Wheelock's pretty smoothly since she's done so much Latin already, then take the placement test for Latin 2. I'll need to re-evaluate the Wheelock's resources.

We've got such a good groove going with Henle... Need to ponder.

I had one that went from finishing Helne 1 to the second half of Wheelock's and was successful. This is my kid who lived and breathed Latin though. He spent the summer before working through the first half of Helne and pulled a very high "A" in Latin 2.

My second one finished half of Henle 1, and she went into a Latin 1 class with Wheelock's. No way would she have been ready for Latin 2.

I actually really like Henle and taught local classes with it, but the scope-and-sequence is totally different than the more modern books. It is also out-of-sync with the National Latin exam.

• Like 2