Menu

What vegetable to service with fish tacos?

lynn

For some reason I'm thinking pickled onions mixed with diced tomatoes, cucumbers and maybe avocado. I have no idea how to make pickled onions and have only had them on salad from Panera. Maybe I'm just craving that salad.

• Like 1

Sautéed butternut squash.  Sauté it in butter and olive oil, season with salt, pepper and chili powder.  It takes a while to cook through, so dice it small and be patient.  To make it easier to peel, zap the whole squash in the microwave for 30 seconds.  Makes all the difference.

IME, Mexican-Californian and Mexican tacos are often served with shredded cabbage, lime wedges, radishes, salsas (pico de gallo, hot, green, etc.) and then pickled vegetables on the side (carrots, jalapeno peppers, cauliflower, etc.).  

We eat a lot of Mexican and also a lot of vegetables, so I'm always trying to figure out what veggies "go".  Often, we'll eat tacos with a large salad and then everyone's free to turn their stuff into a taco salad if they prefer, if that makes sense.  Probably not traditional, but a way to get more vegs in the diet.    

• Like 1