Menu

Math-U-See Calculus?

I'm looking for a calculus curriculum for next year and came across Math-U-See. I would like to hear from anyone who has used it, what you liked and didn't like. My son, who will be a senior next year, does well in math, but does not like math. I feel it is important for him to take calculus next year since he will need to take it in college and I want him to be familiar with it before then. 

If you're reading this and used something other than MUS, I would like to hear from you too. 

TIA
Kim

I haven't used it but have owned up through pre-calc in MUS. If you are just doing it for a light exposure and he is planning to take Calc when he gets to college, it would be fine. If he wants to place into Calc 2, use something else.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Julie of KY said:

I haven't used it. I have looked at it and I think it is very light.

I've used PA Homeschoolers and I will be using Thinkwell next year. I am also capable of doing the teaching/support myself.

Thanks for the suggestions, Julie. My son does not want to do an online class, so PA Homeschoolersis out. I’ll look at Thinkwell. I toyed with teaching it myself, but math has been so painful for us in the past due to my son disliking math. It was just too stressful.

6 hours ago, Julie of KY said:

Oh, I've also used Derek Owens Calculus and it is excellent (not easy though).

We tried Derek Owens physics this past year and my son didn’t enjoy Derek’s teaching style.

6 hours ago, Mom22ns said:

I haven't used it but have owned up through pre-calc in MUS. If you are just doing it for a light exposure and he is planning to take Calc when he gets to college, it would be fine. If he wants to place into Calc 2, use something else.

Thanks, Debbie. Right now I am leaning toward light exposure next year and having him take Calc 1 in college.

• Like 2

I have used all of Derek Owens calculus and many sections of Thinkwell.  Both are excellent, but if I had to choose one, it would be DO. 

1 hour ago, Kim C said:

Right now I am leaning toward light exposure next year and having him take Calc 1 in college.

I wouldn't bother with calculus then. 

Has he done statistics?  If not, that's what I'd do.  Knowing about statistics will help him in his day to day life (reading the news, understanding medical stuff, all kinds of things).  Taking a statistics course would be a far better use of his time than a dusting of calculus.

That said, I haven't homeschooled statistics, so I don't have any suggestions for what to use.

47 minutes ago, EKS said:

I have used all of Derek Owens calculus and many sections of Thinkwell.  Both are excellent, but if I had to choose one, it would be DO. 

I wouldn't bother with calculus then. 

Has he done statistics?  If not, that's what I'd do.  Knowing about statistics will help him in his day to day life (reading the news, understanding medical stuff, all kinds of things).  Taking a statistics course would be a far better use of his time than a dusting of calculus.

That said, I haven't homeschooled statistics, so I don't have any suggestions for what to use.

Yes, he did AP Statistics with PA Homeschoolers this year.  

5 hours ago, Kim C said:

Thanks, Debbie. Right now I am leaning toward light exposure next year and having him take Calc 1 in college.

I haven’t looked at the curriculum, but I think this is a very good idea. Most math usually makes more sense the second time around. I was a statistics TA for several years and understood some things at a deeper level every single time. If the curriculum is good at explaining real life applications of calculus, even better. The first time through some students can get so bogged down, they can’t see the forest through the trees. Already having an understanding of the basic fundamental ideas and applications of calculus would be quite helpful before he takes a full blown college calculus course.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Frances said:

I haven’t looked at the curriculum, but I think this is a very good idea. Most math usually makes more sense the second time around. I was a statistics TA for several years and understood some things at a deeper level every single time. If the curriculum is good at explaining real life applications of calculus, even better. The first time through some students can get so bogged down, they can’t see the forest through the trees. Already having an understanding of the basic fundamental ideas and applications of calculus would be quite helpful before he takes a full blown college calculus course.

Thanks, Frances. That's what I was thinking. I think having a basic understanding will work so much better for my son than just jumping into calculus in college. I also found a Great Courses calculus course that looks good for a supplement. 

• Like 3