Menu

UGH.

I had a woman come out yesterday to give me a quote.  She walked around and heavily sighed, made some comments I thought were a little rude.  Things like, "You better pick this up because we won't." and "Ugh, you have an upstairs?  I suppose you want us to vacuum the stairs too?"

And in every bathroom she groaned about "how much work bathrooms are."

At the end she told me:  I don't do any windows, I won't clean your chair rails or your baseboards unless you want to pay a whole lot more.  And I don't pick up anything.  You need to have everything off the countertops, everything off the floor, and nothing on your bathroom counter, even your toothbrush, or I won't move it and will just wipe around it.  It will be $175."

I told her, "Let me talk it over with my husband."  She immediately sighed and rolled her eyes and said, "Yeah, every time someone says that, it means a no."

Then she got home and texted me and said, "I have been thinking, I am going to raise that to $200 for the first cleaning and probably $175 for every other week."

UGH!  I don't have that!  And I don't like her attitude.  AT ALL!

I am going to cancel her but I have company coming the first weekend in June and I have NO TIME to clean!  I mean literally.  It is testing at school and I will be leaving the house from 6am-7pm that entire week.  I am going away for Memorial Day weekend, and I am stuck!

And no time to interview more people.  

Not sure what to do.  NO, I do not want to put my friends up in a hotel.  In fact, the only thing that would do is eliminate the need to clean the bedroom they are staying in, the rest of the main areas of the house would still need cleaning as they would come over during the days.

I have made a list and will get the kids to help and assign jobs and hope for the best I guess.  Any other suggestions?  I may call a friend who is an organizer and ask her if she wants to come over while I am at work a few days and pay her.  I was thinking $25/hour as I know she does an excellent job.....is that reasonable?  She may or may not be able to do it.

• Confused 1

No advice but sheesh!  She sounds like ME preparing to clean my own house, and nobody's willing to pay me squat!

ETA:  Her attitude was so crummy that I don't think I'd be able to let it pass by.  I'd have to say SOMETHING.  "Thanks for the estimate, but we decided against hiring cleaners who hate their jobs."  Okay, maybe not that far, but something with a similar mesage.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10
8 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

$25 an hour is reasonable. 

Ok, thanks.  The nice thing about my friend is that she will do what I want.  She will do baseboards/chair rails, and windows as long as I pay her.

And she will pick up.

And I honestly don't care if it is cleaned perfectly!  I just need it cleaned overall.   I have an attachment for my vacuum cleaner that is called a duster.  I don't even care if she just runs that over the areas.  The kids can put Pledge on a paper towel and run along after her and polish it.  It doesn't have to be a "get down on your hands and knees and scrub" thing at all.

• Like 3

If you have time, I would call around to some of the larger "chain" cleaning companies (Merry Maids, etc.).  They may be able to give you estimates based on the number of bedrooms/bathrooms/square feet without having to come out and see your house.  They used to do that many years ago, not sure if that is still the case.

I am with you on being uneasy about the woman you interviewed.  I once had one come for a consultation and tell me "this other client wants me to use certain products that trigger my allergies.  I think I will sue her."  Just what every homeowner wants - a sue happy person coming in their home to work.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
Just now, Pink and Green Mom said:

If you have time, I would call around to some of the larger "chain" cleaning companies (Merry Maids, etc.).  They may be able to give you estimates based on the number of bedrooms/bathrooms/square feet without having to come out and see your house.  They used to do that many years ago, not sure if that is still the case.

I am with you on being uneasy about the woman you interviewed.  I once had one come for a consultation and tell me "this other client wants me to use certain products that trigger my allergies.  I think I will sue her."  Just what every homeowner wants - a sue happy person coming in their home to work.

HOLY COW!  YIKES.

Huh, maybe I should call them.  I honestly don't even need some of my house cleaned.  I need the room they will stay in and the common areas.  I can clean my own master bedroom, basement, and the other two kids' rooms really are just not going to be picked up......teen boys live there.  But I would like their bathroom cleaned.  

I second Merry Maids or similar.  They have training, background checks, professional standards, and are probably more frequently called by people to clean up one-time messes. I've seen them advertise things like "moving clean up" and "post renter clean up." 

At the same time when we list a house for sale I take two days off of everything to declutter, depersonalize, and deep clean everything.  Kids get time off everything too.  If you're that tight on time I might just do that instead.

• Like 2

Wow, no way I'd hire that lady. I think I'd call my friend and she if she is interested, she might very well appreciate the work and that would be the less hassle. If she isn't free or isn't interested I agree with calling a chain.

• Like 2

I agree with a service. Try something like Angie's list to see if you can find someone in your area. Or just google house cleaning services in 'city'. They usually offer a one-time service or a recurring one. I called once and they based on their prices on how many rooms I needed clean and what I wanted done. I don't know if they would pick up though because they wouldn't know where to put stuff.

I think $25/hr is a reasonable price for a friend. A service would charge you more because they're a business.

Enlist your kids help and if they're reluctant offer to pay them per hour as well. Maybe something like $10 per hour.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

No advice but sheesh!  She sounds like ME preparing to clean my own house, and nobody's willing to pay me squat!

ETA:  Her attitude was so crummy that I don't think I'd be able to let it pass by.  I'd have to say SOMETHING.  "Thanks for the estimate, but we decided against hiring cleaners who hate their jobs."  Okay, maybe not that far, but something with a similar mesage.

Ha.  I agree, I probably couldn't let that pass.  What a jerk.  

I would prefer the friend for $25 an hour over a service....but if she can't do it I would call a service.  

How big is your house?  Would it take your friend more than 8 hours to do all you want done?  

• Like 1

Wow. I think maybe I should consider an after-children-leave-home career of cleaning houses. I can have an attitude *and* charge outrageous rates. Win-win! There is no way I would hire that lady. 

I would hire my friend. Or I'd find another service.

And, btw, unless you live in a 12,000 square foot house with 12 bathrooms, I think that price was outrageous. 

• Haha 1

I have a large house and have a man from a cleaning service come here once or twice a month.  It costs me 180 for the whole house.  But he does windows or whatever I want- including cleaning ovens, etc.  No snippy attitude and no complaints about stuff in the way or anything.  He works around it or moves it. His wife does pricing and he does the cleaning.  Really nice man and does a great job.  Much better than the bigger chain service I tried for a while.  This guy works around allergies like he stopped using citrus cleaners when dd developed an allergy.

• Like 1

1) I would not hire that nasty cleaning lady.

2) $25 is an excellent rate if you get someone on short notice like that.  My regular rate is $20/hr/person but it is a long-term arrangement.

3) Just keep cleaning here and there on breaks as you get a chance.  Pay your kids to do some tough jobs.  Initially plan on what parts of the house you HAVE to let your guests see, and what parts can have the doors closed.  Usually the 1st floor plus 1 bedroom and bath upstairs should be enough.  If there's any easy way to put the guest bedroom downstairs, that might make things even easier.

4) Good luck!

• Like 3

Wow, what an awful attitude. If she works for a company, I'd tell her bosses about why you won't be hiring her. If she's independent, I'd let her know that you won't be using her because her attitude is ungracious and unprofessional.

• Like 1

The price may or may not be reasonable.  But having used a company where the owner had an attitude like that - avoid them at all costs.  Every night before they came, I would almost be in tears as I was trying to straighten the house and dreading what she would say to me this time.  I finally got up the nerve to fire her when my husband was changing jobs and we needed to save money.  A couple months later, a couple of her employees (who were always nice) stopped by to see how we were doing and let us know they were going out on their own cleaning and to keep them in mind if we ever needed help.  We pay them $25/per hour per person and even when my house looks like a tornado passed through and I apologize, they tell me that that's what they are here for.  There's no judgement.  Since I pay them by the hour, the messier my house is, the more it ends up costing me, but they are more than happy to do anything I ask them to do.  They are wonderful!  

We also priced Merry Maids and their prices were outrageous!  They charge a set price based on the size of your house which may or not be reasonable.  For us, we're fairly minimalistic, so I don't have a ton of nicknacks to dust and I run a Roomba so it's mostly bathrooms and the kitchen.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Jkacz said:

We also priced Merry Maids and their prices were outrageous!  They charge a set price based on the size of your house which may or not be reasonable.  For us, we're fairly minimalistic, so I don't have a ton of nicknacks to dust and I run a Roomba so it's mostly bathrooms and the kitchen.  

I don't understand why a la carte isn't a more widely available option.  I don't want or need (well, I guess that's subjective, lol) anyone in the bedrooms or office area, or even my 2nd bath.  But I sure would love regular serious cleaning in about 500sf of the common areas.  The one email I sent to a non-chain never got a reply.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

I don't understand why a la carte isn't a more widely available option.  I don't want or need (well, I guess that's subjective, lol) anyone in the bedrooms or office area, or even my 2nd bath.  But I sure would love regular serious cleaning in about 500sf of the common areas.  The one email I sent to a non-chain never got a reply.

'

Yeah, I don't need everything cleaned.  She was fine with leaving out the basement.  That is 1000 sq. ft. but my husband uses most of it for office and he doesn't want anyone touching it.  There is a "gym" down there and a ping pong table, and then a room for storage.  

That attitude is not ok at all! Goodness! Yes, I would expect all levels of the house and all bathrooms to be cleaned  

I’ve used individuals to clean my house in the past but one kept trying to raise the price. She knew I had a large family and large house and had toured the house to give an initial estimate. I was not ok with how she handled it. 

We started using a company called The Cleaning Authority. So far they’ve done a really good job and the price was very reasonable. The first one or two cleans was a higher price but now they come every other week to clean and it’s a fixed price. 

I hope you find someone to help before company comes. 

• Sad 1
42 minutes ago, DawnM said:

I texted her and told her I was cancelling and it wasnt' a good fit.  She didn't ask why.  I am sure she knew.

I think that's probably the best idea. I hope your friend can help out. You could ask her how much would she think is a fair price for the cleaning. Y'all can come to a meeting of the minds where you are both happy.

When people act like that about a potential job, I assume that they are trying to sabotage it for some reason, and are trying NOT to get the job. Why else would they act that way? ?

• Like 2

That’s horrible. I used to clean houses and I tried to do the opposite - allay people’s embarassment that their houses were not already clean. I would say, “Don’t apologize. You don’t call a plumber when the toilet is working, right?” The only thing that does make a little bit of sense to me is saying stuff can’t be all over the floors; it was part of my contract that if I had to spend extra time moving clothes and toys in order to clean floors, it would be a surcharge. But as far as things like a lot of cosmetics on the counter or something, I just bid those rooms a little higher with the mental note that moving countertop stuff would take more time. Oh, and also, there were some things that were extra and cleaning windows was one of them. 

If I lived near you, I would totally come clean in a pinch. I do think $25/hour is reasonable for having a friend you know do it. 

• Like 1

Ick! Go with your friend and let her know how many hours you can pay for upfront. 

Having a cleaning lady is my ONE and only luxury. I LOVE a clean house; it makes me so happy. I actually take on more work thinking how many more visits by my cleaning lady that it equals. 

• Like 1