Menu

Using BYL 7 World Geography in 9th grade

My daughter wants to do World Geography next year in 9th, and I really like the Build Your Library 7 book list and approach, but obviously I will need to beef this up for high school.  Has anyone done this before?  Anyone have suggestions of what I could add/ change to be able to give 1 credit in geography? (I'm not looking to use the LA portion of the schedule, just some of the readers for extra reading.)  I've seen the Oak Meadow geography course, and I know it would do what I'm asking, but I really don't want to pay for a second curriculum if I don't have to.  Thanks in advance for your help!!

Let me start with a couple of disclaimers:

1. My eldest child will be a ninth grader next school year, so I’ve never actually homeschooled high school.

2.  We used BYL 7 but not completely as written. 

Now that that’s out of the way:

I used this spread over two years for both my daughters together in grades 7/8 and 5/6 (though she’s an old/mature 6th grader).  This is definitely a cultural geography course rather than a physical geography (or whatever other kinds of geographies there are that focus on geographic features and facts).  IMHO you’d definitely want to find an additional spine/source for that sort of information and perhaps add in some mapping.  I hope this is a tiny bit helpful, disclaimers notwithstanding. 

Thank you for that info. It affirms what I suspected. I think I'm going to go ahead and use the Oak Meadow as my spine and just use BYL for book and activity ideas. Which basically means I'm back to writing my own schedule, which is what I was trying to avoid. Such is the homeschool life. ?