Menu

Middle school science for the less academically inclined?

Can anyone recommend secular middle school science (ideally, life science) materials for a not-terribly-academic student? This is for my kid whose strengths do not lie in this area, who is overwhelmed with a lot of reading, and who does very well with workbook-y type stuff. She wants more hands-on science, but maybe not every single week?

We've looked at RSO Bio 2, but I think it's going to be too much for her (and maybe me!). We currently have Elemental Science's Bio for the Logic Stage, but we're not loving it--we both find the instructions confusing, we don't love picking around at the reading, and she wants more experiments (which I know is harder to do in Bio). A PS-type textbook approach might be good, but I don't know what's recommended there, so I'm hoping some of you might have some guidance for me, or some suggestions I haven't come across yet. Thanks!

For a straight-up textbook: Prentice Hall Science Explorer: Life Science is for gr. 6-8 and is secular. (Also for gr. 6-8 are Earth Science and Physical Science.) Looks like there is a lab manual to go with the Life Science -- can't see inside, so I'm guessing you would need to pull together all the supplies and equipment.

For even lighter reading, what about either the 2 Reader's Digest "How.... Works" (Body and Nature), OR, the 3 Usborne Internet-Linked books (Animal World, World of Plants, Human Body), and just add in some additional books, videos, and hands-on as you find them? For a few experiments/hands-on you could add in from time to time things like: Kym Wright's Botany Adventure; Ellen McHenry's Botany in 8 LessonsTops Science: Radishes, Corn & Beans, Animal Survival.

What about Nancy Larson: Science 4 (ages 9-12)? It is more hands-on, but it is integrated science rather than a single topic -- Science 4 has 3 units of Life Science: Cells, Plants, Animals, Ecosystems; + 2 units of Physics: Energy, Electricity.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Targhee said:

What about CK-12 Life Science? https://www.ck12.org/c/life-science/#/?_k=j4jq4q It isn’t Hands-on but lots of multi-media, and it’s free. You could add in lab activities.

CK-12 also has free workbook pages to go with the text Targhee linked.

Mark Twain Media has a Life Science workbook for gr. 6-9, while Carson-Dellosa's 100+ Series: Life Science workbook is for gr. 5-8, and On The Mark's Life Science workbook is for gr. 6. You could use 1 or 2 of those as "spines" and add additional videos, books, and hands-on as desired. 

• Like 2