Menu

S/O Laurel--Yanny--What does your child with dyslexia hear?

popmom

Mine heard both. But full disclosure...She does not have a formal diagnosis yet. Which makes me all the more curious what other kids who actually have a diagnosis hear. One of my fb friends said there is some speculation that dyslexics are more likely to hear both. I have no idea why that would be.

It's probably just coincidence...I'm in this fb group--a local group for parents of students with dyslexia. Someone there asked this question. I guess it's no more than 7 or 8 people that commented, but every single one of them said their dyslexic child could hear both. There have been some studies that show a difference in sound perception in dyslexics. That's why I started this thread. 

This is interesting to me, because my chid with dyslexia (not formally diagnosed, but informally "labeled" by a special ed person at our local school, who has children with dyslexia herself), froze, and couldn't answer the question, even though my other children all answered immediately.

• Like 1

From what I'm seeing as analyses come in, what a person hears has to do with which sound frequencies they hear most prominently.  I'm not understanding what dyslexia would have to do with anything.

The NYT has created a tool which allows you to move a slider back and forth on the sound spectrum between Laurel and Manny.  https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/16/upshot/audio-clip-yanny-laurel-debate.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur