Menu

What's with the ads?

unsinkable

Laurel or Yanny? Which do you hear?

Laurel or Yanny? Which do you hear?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Laurel or Yanny? Which do you hear?

• Laurel
    • Yanny
    • Both
    • Neither
    • My infant, whom I silently birthed, came from my womb with her own lunch that she prepared herself.
    • I cannot answer the poll as written.

I could hear yanny on the NYT site and once for about 1 second on the regular recording when I was listening for it, but other than that it's laurel. I had my DD and Dh listen to it without sensitizing them to what they were listening to and they both heard laurel.

I think my brain would always prefer laurel because what is yanny? It's a non-word. My brain likes to make sense and will decide that sounds should be words if it has a choice. 

• Like 1

Can't answer. I heard only Laurel on one recording and only Yanny on another. LOL  I could say both, but I don't hear both on the same recording and I suspect that is what you mean. 

I heard Laurel but all my kids listening at the same time heard Yanny. One child can hear Laurel if they listen for the lower sound.

7 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

I've listened on my phone with the phone speakers, laptop with and without headphones. Laurel every time. I haven't told dh about it. I'm sure ds has heard but he's been working and I haven't seen much of him lately. I really want to find out what they hear.

It's actually Laurel.

Here's a story about its origin,

And here's the original recording for a dictionary website. 

On the recording I listened to I could only hear Yanny (my 14 year old heard Laurel when we were listening at the same time)  

When I listened to that dictionary recording it was very clearly Laurel. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

So the first time heard something like "nya-nya" but every time after that I heard "Laurel."  I can't hear anything BUT Laurel now. 

My oldest hears nothing but Laurel. Youngest said she hears "yee-yee."

My daughter played it for me last night. I very clearly hear "yelly" as in rhymes with jelly.

I listened on my lap top and my phone. I hear yammy. I have tinnitus. Does that matter? I've listened to three different versions (websites) of it too. Let me check with the fam. Oh, wait they're supposed to be asleep. lol

but they weren't asleep. 3 heard laurel, 1 heard yanny, I still hear yammy.

My 14 year old and I both heard yanni on the first site, and both heard laurel on the vocabulary.com site.

• Like 1

I heard Laurel and so did my 10yo.  My hubby, 12, 11, and 3 year olds all hear "Yarry" which seems to be a common third thing to hear.  

Also, the Laurel just sounds like a low computer man's voice; but my hubby make it sound like Yarry sounds creepy.

On one device, four of us heard Yanny and two of us heard Laurel. Interestingly, those that heard Yanny said that it was a higher male voice, but my dd and I (Laurel) heard it as a deeper male voice.  

• Haha 1

All my kids had fun with this today!  4 of them clearly heard Laurel.  The two little ones went with Yanny.  I hear a VERY plain Yanny.  I tried to hear Laurel.  

Laurel on the Vocabulary.com site.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gaillardia said:

I listened on my lap top and my phone. I hear yammy. I have tinnitus. Does that matter? I've listened to three different versions (websites) of it too. Let me check with the fam. Oh, wait they're supposed to be asleep. lol

but they weren't asleep. 3 heard laurel, 1 heard yanny, I still hear yammy.

My boys, who listened without pretext, heard “yammy.” I heard it as Yanny; dh hears Laurel. I do hear some sort of r-like sub-tone in the middle, though. 

Tangent: I think what this “debate” (and the dress one) really is is a test of dogmatism. It is very apparent to me which people in my life are open to other perspectives vs. closed, based on how adamant they are about the correctness of their perception. 

• Haha 1

Did anyone see the White House video yet? I busted out laughing at the end. ?

20 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I hear both.  At the same time.  I can't quite explain it but it's like one is on top of the other.  Does that mean that I can multi-task? 

? It means you are ambi-audious, kind like ambidextrous. 

• Like 2

Half of us hear Lanny, the other half hear Laurel...same computer and time listening. So in our case there is more to it than device.