Menu

Laurel or Yanny? Which do you hear?

unsinkable

Laurel or Yanny? Which do you hear?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Laurel or Yanny? Which do you hear?

• Laurel
    • Yanny
    • Both
    • Neither
    • My infant, whom I silently birthed, came from my womb with her own lunch that she prepared herself.
    • I cannot answer the poll as written.

8 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

So the first time heard something like "nya-nya" but every time after that I heard "Laurel."  I can't hear anything BUT Laurel now. 

You must be my one son's ear mate (like a soul mate) bc he hears, (this is a quote):

"Yamulenah."

• Haha 1

I've listened on my phone with the phone speakers, laptop with and without headphones. Laurel every time. I haven't told dh about it. I'm sure ds has heard but he's been working and I haven't seen much of him lately. I really want to find out what they hear.

It's actually Laurel.

Here's a story about its origin,

And here's the original recording for a dictionary website. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have heard both, though only one at a time.  Last night when they were playing it on the news, one of the anchors said he heard Yanny when the sound on his laptop was quiet and Laurel when it was louder.  At first I heard Laurel, but they played it a bunch of times, and then I heard Yanny too, and when the anchor said that I realized that it was while it was more playing in the background, so I think I also give some credence to volume or other sound settings.  On my home laptop, at least with the version that got linked on my FB, I can only hear Laurel, no matter what the volume.

At first I heard Yanny, but then I listened to it with the bass modulated differently and heard both at the same time. (Someone had done a post on twitter with various settings for the bass.)  The Laurel is a lower pitch than the Yanny, btw.  

This would be GREAT for upper elementary/middle school science on sound and hearing.

So I clearly heard Laurel on the recording I listened to this morning. I just pulled up the same recording to show the kids and now I hear "yammy". 5yo hears "yelly", 9yo also hears "yammy". WTH? Same recording and I hear something different than I did this morning?? I TRIED to hear Yanny this morning and could not get anything but Laurel.

1 minute ago, Seeking Squirrels said:

So I clearly heard Laurel on the recording I listened to this morning. I just pulled up the same recording to show the kids and now I hear "yammy". 5yo hears "yelly", 9yo also hears "yammy". WTH? Same recording and I hear something different than I did this morning?? I TRIED to hear Yanny this morning and could not get anything but Laurel.

My 5 year old actually says yammy too!

I am so confused now haha. NYT has a clip to help you hear both. You slide the bar one way or the other until you can hear the other one. I didn't have to slide it far to get it to Laurel from Yammy, but DD9 had to have it almost all the way. Then when we took it back to the Yanny side, I had to get it almost all the way, well past the middle, before it went away from Laurel. At the far Yanny end, I could finally hear what DD5 hears "Yellly". Now I just hear Laurel. ?

I voted that I couldn't answer because I had no idea what this poll was about. Now that I've read through and listened to a couple of these clips... If I'd known what they poll was about earlier I'd have voted Laurel because that's all I heard. I heard nothing that sounded like Yanny. But I'll leave my original vote. For science. ?

2 hours ago, sassenach said:

I can’t begin to figure out how one would hear yanny. I tried, but all I hear is laurel. 

I tried too, several times. With those pictures where you see one thing or another, when I concentrate hard enough I can always eventually see the other one. But I just can't hear yanny try as I might.

• Like 2

Yanny. I keep trying to hear Laurel. The Yanny voice apparently sounds higher and more robotic than the Laurel voice. I said something about "that robot" and the Laurel hearers in my house said, "Huh? What robot? You mean that dude saying Laurel?"

4 hours ago, Joker said:

I hear Laurel but dh and both dc hear Jerry. ?

When I listen to the one where they supposedly remove some frequency, I don't hear Laurel but what I do hear isn't really any word.

I wondered about frequency issues. I have a little hearing loss, and wondered if that affects what I hear. I voted Yanny. And it's annoying!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Angie in VA said:

I wondered about frequency issues. I have a little hearing loss, and wondered if that affects what I hear. I voted Yanny. And it's annoying!

It is terribly annoying.   I would never have thought I had hearing loss... but maybe I should have it checked out. 

It isn't just the frequency that affects what you hear. The noises around you can change it. The first few times when I listened to it all I heard was Yanny, at the time all 5 of my kids and my 2 parents were in the room. The kids were loud, my dad was watching a movie behind me. When I listened to it a bit later on the same computer at the same settings with the same clip source I heard Laurel.

Then I had the kids make noise all around me and it went back to Yanny. 

I could hear yanny on the NYT site and once for about 1 second on the regular recording when I was listening for it, but other than that it's laurel. I had my DD and Dh listen to it without sensitizing them to what they were listening to and they both heard laurel.

I think my brain would always prefer laurel because what is yanny? It's a non-word. My brain likes to make sense and will decide that sounds should be words if it has a choice. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

I've listened on my phone with the phone speakers, laptop with and without headphones. Laurel every time. I haven't told dh about it. I'm sure ds has heard but he's been working and I haven't seen much of him lately. I really want to find out what they hear.

It's actually Laurel.

Here's a story about its origin,

And here's the original recording for a dictionary website. 

On the recording I listened to I could only hear Yanny (my 14 year old heard Laurel when we were listening at the same time)  

When I listened to that dictionary recording it was very clearly Laurel. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

So the first time heard something like "nya-nya" but every time after that I heard "Laurel."  I can't hear anything BUT Laurel now. 

My oldest hears nothing but Laurel. Youngest said she hears "yee-yee."

My daughter played it for me last night. I very clearly hear "yelly" as in rhymes with jelly.

I listened on my lap top and my phone. I hear yammy. I have tinnitus. Does that matter? I've listened to three different versions (websites) of it too. Let me check with the fam. Oh, wait they're supposed to be asleep. lol

but they weren't asleep. 3 heard laurel, 1 heard yanny, I still hear yammy.