Menu

Scholars Online recent users & Cursus Scriptorum review?

Scholars Online lines up really well with much of what we already plan to do. It might be a nice option for us for online back up for courses as I'm switching jobs and might not be able to be as available to dd. How much busy work is in the courses? How many hours a week for most courses? Any trouble with Moodle? We disliked Moodle in G3 classes.

I've had trouble searching the boards the last few days, even using an outside Google search, so I'm only coming up with hits that are older. Can anyone give me a review? (PM is fine.) Any reviews of the Cursus Scriptorum self-paced language arts game/ class? It looks really interesting.

http://www.dorthonion.com/drmcm/cursus_scriptorum/CS_overview.html

ETA- How religious are the courses? They don't look excessively so in the descriptions, except Biology.

Thanks!

I posted a similar query twice over the last two years and got no replies. At one time, they were a popular option but not so much anymore. The last reviews I read were probably about 5 years ago. The Literature courses were well regarded but mixed reviews on the Sciences. I don't think there was any mention of overt religion in the classes but I could be wrong.

Frankly, I think since we have the pinned lists people don't look beyond what's there.

I think we will probably try the writing course next year. Dd would respond well to idea of "points" for improvement and the somewhat gamified theme. At around $500 a year for most of their courses, they are very competitive. They have accreditation if courses need to transfer, but aren't hyper focused on grades, etc. Maybe I'll have to be a guinea pig...

Good to know about the science. We have pretty good self-paced options for that. The texts for both science and logic are secular at SO though, which is good for us if we do choose to use those courses.

I'm not wild about the algebra texts, but the Geometry (Discovering Geometry with Sketch Pad) might be worth a look for those who don't see anything they like on the pinned list. I would have taken a closer look at it. I feel like Geometry just "got done" here when it could have been a fun course. Foerster for Precalc and Calc and they use the TI Inspire calculator that it seems like I'm seeing more and more of for colleges.

• Like 1