Menu

Back to homeschool and need online asynchronous school?

My DDs were homeschooled for most of high school and are now in college, so it's been a while. Older DS is in school and applying for college next year. Younger DS 11 was removed from his private school by me in Feb after too many incidents of teachers shouting and screaming at him for no reason. We live in the UK and it is not possible to send him to the public school in our district -- you have to apply for school places and if they're full, they're full. They might, if you're lucky, find you a place miles and miles away (no school bus). DS has diagnosed ADHD, is also very bright, and did fine in his private school academically. His needs are not, in my opinion, that severe. I found an IB school that is international and came highly recommended and he applied and got a place. The school wants to charge us 42,000 pounds annually extra for him to have support (in addition to the 25,000 pounds tuition) in the form of weekly psychotherapy, homework help for visual procesing (umm, doesn't have this diagnosis), and various other odd things. I cannot possibly afford that kind of money and have told them so, and now it looks like we're going to be homeschooling until I can get us out of this country. I'm a single parent who works a reasonably demanding job (although I work 4 days a week and went down to 3 once DS came home) and the kids' dad pays child support but will not pay fees; he sees the kids maybe 4 times a year even though he lives 15 minutes away. So it's a rubbish situation all round although it could be worse.

Question is -- can someone please recommend an all in one online school that requires minimal supervision? I've been trying to piece things together for DS over the last few months, but I cannot do it properly and still work (also taking classes to shift careers to a more flexbile and profitable job). It would need to be asynchronous or in our time zone. I've been looking into a few but would really appreciate views from those who have been there and could see how a program might work in our situation. I would hire a sitter (we have a few who are great) to supervise, but I wouldn't want to rely on them to teach. Thanks.

From your thread title, possibly TTU K12 (formerly TTUISD) will be something you can contemplate using. The amount of money you mentioned another school wants to charge you is IMO astonishing...

Asynchronous requires much more dedication from the students than Sychronous does. If your student is capable of that, then go for it.

There are things one must comply with, such as having an Approved Proctor for the Final Examinations. The Final Examinations must be passed and count for 25% of the semester grade.

Here's a link to their Home Page:  http://www.depts.ttu.edu/k12/

Much good luck to your student with whatever you decide to go with!

• Like 1

It might be better to post your question on a UK home education group and also find a local facebook or yahoo home ed group for support, advice and social opportunities for your son.

There is a list of correspondence and online providers of UK Ks3 and (I)GCSE courses on the HE Exams wiki here:http://he-exams.wikia.com/wiki/CorrespondenceCourses There are several live online 'schools' which offer subject packages, such as Interhigh, and Briteschool, but they aren't cheap or particularly flexible, and have mixed reviews. If you want school at home, those will do it. If you want to make the most of home education, then you might want to look elsewhere. Netschool is better, imo, as it allows individual choice of subjects (We've used it for one subject), has good tutors and is great value. You can also do like we do and mix-and-match with different providers for different subjects (e.g. Learntec for computer science, Netschool or efrenchtuitiononline for a foreign language...or whatever...as long as the scheduling works.)

Home educated children in the UK often start their GCSE exams earlier and space them out over several years (My older children took a few a year from the age of 14). Apart from the "skills" subjects (maths, english and foreign languages) which benefit from gradually building up knowledge, most subjects can be started from scratch at (I)GCSE stage, so if you're planning on home educating through the GCSE years there is no need to cover all - or any - Ks3 material fo rmany subjects.

I would recommend getting in contact with local home educators, so that your son can join in local activities and groups. It's much harder to enter into the groups once tweens turn into teens, so now would be an ideal age to find a network for him.

1 minute ago, stutterfish said:

It might be better to post your question on a UK home education group and also find a local facebook or yahoo home ed group near you for support, advice and social opportunities for your son.

Thanks but we're specifically avoiding the UK education system. He might do one IGCSE next year, but we're aiming for AP or IB ultimately, and will be leaving the UK within the next year.