Menu

How many classes is your 7th grader taking?

mommyoffive

I was searching for the 7th grade plans.  I can't find them if anyone has links to them, please post. 

People who use online classes, how many online classes is your 7th grader taking? 

We use an online charter so we get to pick how many electives to take.  I don't want to overwhelm my kiddo, but I want them to be on pare too. 

This year my 7th grader has had one online class (math),  3 classes at a local tutorial (2 electives and one academic), and three classes at home with me, so 7 classes altogether. 

When she gets to 9th grade, she will have 2 online. Probably for the rest of high school.

My 7th grader attends a University Model School part-time and takes 3 classes there--English, History, Science. We do math, reading and Bible study at home. She uses most of her free time to draw. She has no other electives/activities as she gets easily overwhelmed when there is too much to do.

The kids who attend her UMS full-time typically take the 4 core classes and 2 electives such as art, drama, PE, music, robotics, videography ... things like that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HeighHo said:

PS here is 8 classes: English, Math, Science, Social Studies, FL, PE/Health, Qtr Classes and an Elective .  Those who are remedial do not have an elective, and take remediation instead. Electives are Band, Chorus, Art, and if not chosen, the student is in Study Hall.  Qtr classes meet for one quarter each:  Home Ec, Shop, Keyboarding, Computer Use.  

Don't pick by number of classs, pick by content. If every course is challenging, the time will be too much to take 8 courses. And really, who needs PE if they are already doing lifetime sports or are in a competitive league outside of school?  Same for music...if the kid is in a serious youth orchestra, band becomes a leadership exercise.

This is true in my experience too.  Though I tend to count outside activities (music lessons, community band and choir, swim lessons, swim team, martial arts, dance classes, horseback riding, club sports), as long as they spend more hours than they would for the class in PS and it's at a challenging level as classes.

My younger daughter will be in 7th grade in public school next year.  She will have seven classes:  English, Pre-Algebra, Physical Science, US History 2, PE/Health (not sure how they break that one up; I think some days are PE and some are health), Choir, one semester of Keyboarding and one semester of Art.  

When my older daughter did 7th grade in Catholic school, she took:  Literature, English (grammar and composition), Algebra 1, Physical Science, World History, Religion, and an "elective period" which was usually either Art or PE but occasionally was Computer or Library.

Here's the 7th grade planning thread for 2018-2019

My rising 7th grader will have: Math (Pre-A w/me), History (on her own), Science (online 1 semester overlapping a shorter online science elective), foreign language (probably Latin online), Writing (online), Literature (on her own), and Logic. More details in my post on the above thread. So, seven classes - two year-long online, one one-semester online, plus a short online elective. 

5 hours ago, RootAnn said:

My rising 7th grader will have: Math (Pre-A w/me), History (on her own), Science (online 1 semester overlapping a shorter online science elective), foreign language (probably Latin online), Writing (online), Literature (on her own), and Logic. More details in my post on the above thread. So, seven classes - two year-long online, one one-semester online, plus a short online elective. 

thanks for the link

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RootAnn said:

Helpful stuff- bookmarked. Thank you ?

• Like 1