Menu

Do you pack your husband's lunch?

Poll  

165 members have voted

1. 1. Do you pack your husband's lunch?

• Yes
    • No

I did when he took lunch from home. Now, he works from home and when I make myself breakfast and lunch I just make enough for two. He will eat anything I put in front of him and is not at all picky. 

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, I do.  But he makes me do horrible things like put ketchup on turkey sandwiches. I can barely type that, it is such an offence against all that is decent. PLEase, if you see me in real

LOL, you could say that about pretty much anything one person does for another. My husband does a lot for me; I make his life a little easier by making his lunch, without making my life harder. 

Just for comparison.... Right now, DH is working out of state, staying in a hotel room. His company gave him money to pay for food while he is gone, money that was directly deposited to our accou

Just wanted to clarify after reading some posts - I ALWAYS packed lunches the night before.  I am NOT a morning person and can barely feed the kids in the morning.  So the whole world would have to be ending for me to pack lunches in the am.

Also, I lived with my parents until I got married (I did move out for a bit) and my mom has always packed my lunches.  Way into my 20s.  She also cooked all the meals.

And here I am, taking care of husband, 3 very hungry kids and no one has skipped a meal yet. ?  I think it's great to teach kids how to cook and two of my boys already know how to do it, but I learned that while it's important to teach kids all kinds of things, sometimes as we grow up or have to handle things independently, we do just fine

• Like 5

I don't, but I do make enough dinner for there to be leftovers.  DH and I do Blue Apron on his long work days.  I cook for ds and I, and then package up the rest for dh to take the next day.  Usually he'll grab that, snacks, and maybe an extra meal from the freezer to keep him going.  So I make his food, but I don't pack it in his bag unless he needs an extra hand in the morning.

Ha - no, never!  He often on Sunday makes a trip to the grocery just for food for work.  He gets there early so always had breakfast food there - fruit, nuts, yogurt, oatmeal, etc.   Sometimes we'll freeze a couple servings of leftovers (soups, stews, casseroles mostly) that he takes in individual containers.  Both of things he makes and that I make.  He goes out to lunch a couple times a week too.  

I should point out that I have a dh who forgets to eat but has to eat a lot just to maintain his skinny self. It's annoying that at almost 50 he can still eat like a kid (and he's not even that active, it's just good genes). So, I do make more of an effort in regards to food with him because he's not picky and would rarely eat if I didn't put food in front of him.

On occasion I do, mainly when I'm already in the kitchen cutting up veggies andaking sandwiches for the kids' lunch. While I'm doing this he is usually spending time with the kids right before he needs to go to work. I'd much rather him get more kid time than have to cut it short to make lunch. Half the time he is home for lunch though.

I did sometimes when we were first married.  I haven't in a long time though.  He plans ahead for what he wants and I make sure to buy supplies from the store for him, but he makes his own lunches.

Recently I do - He can never find the leftovers, so it's far easier for me to throw it all in the bag then have to deal with him destroying my fridge. haha
Sometimes, I ask him if he wants specific leftovers and he'll choose, but when I put the leftovers away, I usually portion them out for easy packing. 
It takes 5 minutes at the most to throw things into the bag, so it's no big deal. 

We follow a keto diet, so it's easier for him to stay on plan if I pack his lunch. Before we went keto, he would just eat in the company cafeteria (which is better than most restaurants.) 

32 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

No... I never have.   If he wanted to pack a lunch he could do it himself.  He has 2 hands for goodness sakes!  

LOL, you could say that about pretty much anything one person does for another.

My husband does a lot for me; I make his life a little easier by making his lunch, without making my life harder.  A win all around. 

BTW he thanks me for it every single day, as he's carrying it out and when he comes in with the lunch bag of dirty containers at night. 

• Like 7

I voted no, but I do every once in a while, to help him out, or be nice to him, lol. 

Part of the benefits of homeschooling is that I don't have to pack ANYONE's lunch ?

When I do pack his lunch, I put sweet notes in it. Early in our marriage, I would do things like draw a heart shape design on the sandwich bread with a cookie cutter dipped in food coloring ? and I will admit that it was mostly so he would stop asking me to pack his lunch, lol.

He doesn't usually bring a lunch to work now anyways.

17 minutes ago, marbel said:

My husband does a lot for me; I make his life a little easier by making his lunch, without making my life harder.  A win all around. 

BTW he thanks me for it every single day, as he's carrying it out and when he comes in with the lunch bag of dirty containers at night. 

Same here.

Every morning dh washes the water bottle I use and fills it with ice and water so it’s ready when I get up. He also puts a fresh towel by the shower so it’s ready for me. In the evening he brings my prescription med to me.  Tiny acts of service but it’s a way for him to show appreciation. I could easily do these myself but it’s sweet that he does it.  If others don’t enjoy doing these things it’s totally cool, but it’s also ok for us to like doing theings for each other. Different strokes and all...

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

I'm actually surprised at the number of people who pack lunches at all. You all are a frugal bunch!

Part of it is frugality but our main motivation is that we like home prepared food better than the restaurants we have available, and also for health reasons.  It’s probably cheaper to pick up fast food value menu items than to make lunches prepared at home. The sit down options in our town are pretty limited...Applebee’s or a locally owned Mexican restaurant are as upscale as we get here.

Yeah, dh does ALL the dishes since I do the cooking. I never even asked but he's been doing them for about 20 years now. He also has coffee ready for me every morning. He does so much more than that too but I've never thought that since he is capable of getting of his food I should never do it for him.

I don't think it's a big deal that some don't pack lunches but I also think it's no big deal that some do.

• Like 2

I don't now, but I packed his lunch (and my own at the same time) for 10 years.  It was pretty much the same thing everyday; fruit, vegetable, sandwich and cookie if I had made them.   I made all the sandwiches and froze them so I could just pull those out of the freezer.   Now he can get a good lunch at work for $3.00, so it's not worth it.   

19 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

I'm actually surprised at the number of people who pack lunches at all. You all are a frugal bunch!

Or simply don't have the disposable income to afford a decent non-fastfood lunch out 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year.

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

We just ran some debt pay off numbers last week.  We have paid off $78k worth of debt since 2/22/16.  Now, of course, obviously, that’s not only because I pack his lunch ? in fact lunch packing is probably barely a blip.  But we believe that if we watch the pennies, the the dollars take care of themselves.  And so far, apparently $78k of them.  

(And no, we aren’t even done yet)

• Like 6

I voted yes, but it's really "used to."  Because he eats out now.  We would discuss the range of desired options in advance and then the day-to-day was up to me.

Yes. It’s NBD to me. I’m up already and it’s just leftovers. I’m an early riser and he is a night owl, yet he still gets up at 4am to work a 10 hour shift so he can be home in the early afternoon. 

He’s not that picky. He’ll eat the same thing everyday without complaint.  He doesn’t really like going down to the hospital cafeteria. That would take up most of his lunch time and most days he gets so busy he doesn't have time for that. Plus not much there works with the Keto diet. 

It started out as a way to save money and eat a little healthier. He would eat $1 Whoppers every day for lunch in college. Yuck. Now it’s just habit. Oldest puts away all of the food and packs a lunch for him. I just put it all together and add an ice pack in the morning. 

47 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

I guess it's whatever you consider normal. I'm always shocked at the number of people who go out to eat every day for lunch.

I do pack dh's lunch. We get up at the same time and while he is showering and dressing, I cook something for breakfast and pack a lunch (and feed the cat, start the coffee, etc.) If he did it himself, he would have to get up earlier, so it just makes sense for me to do it. I work too, but my hours are fewer and irregular, so I don't need to pack a lunch for myself. Lunch, whether packed or at home, is almost always leftovers. I also cut up some fresh vegetables and wash some fruit and fill a thermos with coffee. Sometimes I add in some granola & yogurt or cheese & crackers or similar if the leftovers are light.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

It’s generally a lot quicker, cheaper, and healthier for me to take a packed lunch. I like to eat at my desk while checking email or doing some other routine task, and then take a walk during my lunch time. Also, I tend to eat three small meals at work rather than a true lunch, as my job is fairly sedentary, so most regular lunches out would be too much food. On the other hand, my husband’s job is very physically active and he’s thin, so he likes to graze the entire time he’s at work. Packing works much better in that scenario, also.

Generally, we each pack our own food. Very occasionally, my husband will leave for work without packing anything, and if he knows I’m home, he’ll text and ask me to bring something to him. It’s a pleasant five minute walk with the dog, so I’m happy to do it. Also, often on the weekend, especially during the winter, I’ll make a big batch of soup and partition it out into small containers for the week, and he’s always welcome to take some to work or eat at home.

Previously, when my husband had a different job and often went the whole work day without eating, my son became very concerned about this when he was around seven or eight years old. So he started packing lunches for his dad every day, complete with sweet little notes and often decorated paper bags.

1 hour ago, marbel said:

Yes, having someone appreciate what you do for them really makes a difference. Not only am I very fortunate that neither my son nor husband are remotely picky eaters, but every single time I cook for them, regardless of how simple or complicated the meal, they let me know they are thankful.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, SeaConquest said:

Part of it is being frugal, but it's also about convenience, health and saving time. I would much prefer to spend the majority of my lunch hour relaxing and reading while eating the reasonably healthy lunch I microwaved or eat something quickly and then have time to take a quick walk around the city park across the street than to hassle with going out scrounging for food. 

The cafeteria within easy walking distance of my husband's office has limited vegetarian options, and he gets bored. And he often gets busy enough at work that if he had to go out for lunch he might just skip eating or make do with junk from the vending machine. So, making pre-packed leftovers and easy and attractive option encourages him to eat more regularly and healthfully. 

• Like 2

On the flip side, my dhakes breakfast for me almost every single morning. Even when he plans on making something I don't like for himself and the kids he will make me a separate breakfast. And of course coffee as well.

These are just the routines we've randomly happened upon that work for us. And like someone mentioned above, everyone always show how thankful they are for the other person's meal.

• Like 1

I think I need an other option. I don't know how to respond.

My husband works from home.  Sometimes we eat lunch together something that  I prepare for all of us and sometimes he's on his own.   I put leftovers from dinner in single serving size containers, label them, and put them in the freezer. Particular favorites are bulk cooked and stored frozen too.  There are also some quick fix packaged Indian foods in single serving sizes in the pantry.  He gives me a list of favorite dishes and I buy them in bulk when they go on sale.  I cook dinner but he always agrees to eat out or order in if I don't feel like cooking.

My kids pack their own lunches when necessary (park day, PE, hikes) starting at about age 5.  They also make their own breakfasts starting around then-yogurt, toast, cereal. If he needed a lunch packed in the morning he'd have to do it himself.  He has also always done his own laundry because he's crazy picky about it.  

I often think these kind of questions should come with an age attached to them.

yes, I pack his lunch. He doesn’t cook, and I don’t mow the lawn , if you know what I mean. And we are both good with that.

I do not get up at 5:30 am to get it together. The coffee is on a timer, often he gets that ready, and the lunch is usually leftovers sitting in the fridge. Add some fruit, some yogurt, maybe some banana bread or biscotti and he’s good to go. 

My mom packed my dads lunch and I’m sure my Mil packed my Fil’s lunch.

my kiddoes and their spouces are kind of all over the map with this.  Some do, some don’t, some days they do, some days they don’t. Some husbands cook and some of the wives mow the lawn. Everyone needs to do what works for their family.

If he dies before me, I’m getting a lawn service. 

• Like 3

I do pack my husband's lunch most days.  He is not picky and it is usually leftovers.  If I am not right there to hand it to him he would walk right out without it too.  Sometimes I leave giant 'Don't forget your lunch!' notes attached to the door so he can't miss them.  He is very ADD though.

He never says a word if I forget or get hectic and can't do it, even if it is for several days (or weeks!) In a row.  He just manages but he is grateful whenever I do it.  One time I did flip out because he didn't eat everything and left the food sitting out for hours in his lunch box after he got home. I had nasty, smelly chicken to throw away and  I kind of lost it.  I think I may have been crying even, lol.. I said I don't mind making your lunch but I can't stand the gross leftover dishes (he worked nights and came in during the wee hours and left stuff out on the table).  Even trace amounts sitting out at room temperature for a few hours is disgusting!  After that he began dumping any extra out at work and rinsing his dishes there every night.  I have not seen a gross dish since.

He does lots of little things for me as well. Making his lunch is a really small thing but he loves it.  His co-workers always seem jealous and amazed at his leftovers which is funny to me.  I never imagined last night's spaghetti could be envy inspiring!

I pack my husband’s lunch but he has been eating chicken rice cooked using the microwave as work lunch daily for the past 15 years. As long as I cook him Chinese food for lunch, he is happy. 

• Like 1

Nope. IMNSHO he's a big boy and can make his own lunch! I think the only time I've ever come close is when we go hiking and I just make sandwiches for everyone assembly line style. He also makes dinner just as often as I do. Actually we tend to go through different phases of who is the primary dinner-maker. Right now it's him. In the summer it will probably be more me. 

He either packs leftovers, a frozen dinner, or goes out. 

I tried that twice.
The first time, it was left on the bench and I was told to put it in his bag.
The following day, he took it out of the bag and left it on the bench.
Neither of us were able to imagine how that could possibly happen, but there was no third time to find out.

I did pack some bikkies and home made dip for my brother to take to work the other day. I think he only took it because he thought I'd baked Anzac bikkies. ?

• Like 1

I don't even make dinner anymore!  LOL.

When I was home full time and DH was having to go into the office every day, he would take leftovers, so I made sure to make enough dinner to allow for leftovers.  He still usually takes leftovers (goes in 2 days, works from home 3) but it is mostly what he has already made.

9 hours ago, SeaConquest said:

Isn't it awesome? ?  There is so much less trash with a packed lunch. 

We've managed to reduce our rubbish down to one bag because of conscious efforts like this - dh takes glass containers so he can always have a hot lunch (his building is air conditioned year round) and insulated water bottles.  On the rare occasion he takes a sports drink he brings home the bottle for the 8yo, who collects them and gets $.05 for each one he turns into the machine.  (DH also volunteers to take care of the bottle recycling for his work and the rest are glad to let him bring home the bag to sort and deal with).
The other bonus is that dh eats a lot better when he takes a lunch than if he runs to the nearest food seller.  We don't have fast food in our town, but the grab n' go stuff at the grocery store is not that great.  If he takes leftovers or makes himself a lunch it's a lot more balanced.  Today he's taking grilled harissa chicken, tzadziki sauce for dipping, a grain salad with plums and kale, fresh pineapple, a banana, hummus and pita for snack, and a square of dark chocolate.  A lot of food, but actually costing less than if he sucked it up and ran to the grocery store at lunch for a slice of pizza, sports drink, and whatever sides are there.

• Like 3

I usually do, yes.

In the years when we have a newborn and sleep is priority, I don't because I'm not usually awake when he leaves.

His lunches are usually leftovers, so when cleaning up from dinner, I put some of it in a Pyrex bowl for him. It's easy to grab that and an apple and be done.

DH has been on a salad kick lately, so he'll prepare the salad fixings he wants (chopped broccoli, bell peppers) in advance. Most of the time he'll assemble his salad the night before. But it doesn't take long to put it together in the morning once everything is chopped up.

When there are NO leftovers, I will make a sandwich or tell him to go to Jimmy Johns. But that only happens maybe once or twice a month.

There WILL come a time when the boys are growing up and there will be NO leftovers. Don't know what we'll do then.

11 hours ago, scbusf said:

I do, but it's just leftovers from dinner. So when we are cleaning up dinner, I put the food in a container and stick it in the fridge.

That's exactly how it works here. Dh nearly always eats leftovers, I pack them the night before because I have to put up the food anyway it would be a waste of time to pack it at night then portion off the rest the next day and I don't get up when he does. I think he feels guilty about it because he will often say you don't have to do that and has taken to trying to beat me in there to pack it but I don't mind, I like that he is getting homemade food for lunch and we can't afford for him to eat out every day.

• Like 2

Just for comparison....

Right now, DH is working out of state, staying in a hotel room. His company gave him money to pay for food while he is gone, money that was directly deposited to our account.  

Yesterday he spent $8 on lunch.  If he spent $8 a day, 5 days a week, that’s $40 a week, $160 a month, on lunches for one person. Had he been home, he would have gotten a smoked turkey sandwich (that he actually smoked himself in his smoker Sunday night) and probably something like an apple, a couple of pickles and some pretzels. Based on what I paid for those items, that would not have cost us more than $1.50.  Probably less, I mean the whole turkey only cost like $6 since I bought it on sale back in November.  But even if we round up to $2, that a $6 difference between eating out and packing, per day.  Works out to be like $120 difference per month.....which covers all the interest on the student loan monthly  playments.  

Or put another way, it’s like I earn $6 for 5 minutes of work lol.  I’m good with that.  

• Like 7

I have, on occasion, in the past.  Mostly for long, hectic work days with lots of travel.  Otherwise, he really would lose track of time and not eat all day. He doesn't really work like that anymore, and has become smart enough to stop at and pick up a sandwich or something if he's not working at home.  (Sometimes, even if he is!)

I don't usually make breakfast or lunch for my kids either, whether we're home or going out for the day.  But I've also become more like dh was, forgetting to eat like a regular human.

Not now, because he works from home, but I used to. It wasn’t expected and it wasn’t everyday, but if he was running behind, I’d help him out. I still make it some days now when he’s really busy. He also helps me get out the door when I run behind. 

1 hour ago, HomeAgain said:

Isn't it awesome? ?  There is so much less trash with a packed lunch.

I hadn't thought about that but you are right.

My dh says at his office he is the only person who uses a ceramic coffee mug at the office coffee machine. Everyone else uses paper coffee cups that are thrown away. So much waste! It's hard for me to understand. They work in the same office every single day. Surely it would be easy and much more pleasant and sustainable to use a real mug and wash it at the end of the day.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Well, I'm the one who works out of the home, and I pack my own lunches, though DH (who does most of the cooking) does make sure there are some leftovers for me to pack each week (I pack the week's meals to work on Monday morning, and keep them in the fridge at work). DD packs her own meals if she wants a sack lunch instead of the PS cafeteria food at her enrichment program. DS gets some help if he asks to pack a lunch, which he usually only does on field trip days, but does much of it himself.