Menu

Probably a dumb question about GPA calcs

B&M school here, traditional schedule.  Here is the situation:

Student has an 88 in the class at the end of first semester, and a 90 at the end of the second.  Is her final grade an 89, worth 3 points x 1 credit in a GPA calc, or is it a half-credit at 3 points and a half-credit at 4?  

What is typical?  I only care what shows up on the final transcript.  I have tried to find this info on the school district’s website without success.  And I can’t ask the school because they hate me now because I have offended the teacher of the class in question.  (Pro tip:  there is no way to not offend someone when you suggest that a retiring teacher who served up a final riddled with errors might just be mailing it in at the expense of her students.)

Don't know how the B&M school calculates it. Just curious as to why you would need to know the grade points for just one class -- usually when applying to colleges or to summer programs or other special opportunities, it is the total GPA that is of interest, and that info should be available through the school's registrar or admin office. You can request a copy of the student's transcript, which would list the classes, grades, and credits, and should have a cumulative GPA for you -- it might even have the "per-class" GPA calculation for you, which would answer your specific course grade question without bothering anyone further. ?

1 hour ago, Lori D. said:

Don't know how the B&M school calculates it. Just curious as to why you would need the grade points for just one class -- usually when applying to colleges or to summer programs or other special opportunities, it is the total GPA that is of interest, and that info should be available through the school's registrar or admin office. You can request a copy of the student's transcript, which would list the classes, grades, and credits, and should have a cumulative GPA for you -- it might even have the "per-class" GPA calculation for you, which would answer your specific course grade question without bothering anyone further. ?

The issue is whether this catastrophe of a final exam is a battle worth fighting.  If it affects her GPA at all, then maybe. If it does not, then no.  The pre-final transcripts we have do not answer this question, and I can’t derive the answer because this particular issue, i.e., different grades for each semester, has not come up before.

1 hour ago, Lecka said:

I think it is 3 for one semester 4 for the other semester.  I don’t know if this is how this high school does it, but it is how my high school did it lol.  

My student thinks this is the case as well.  Thanks.

Maybe just ask for a copy of the transcript.  At my kids' school, the transcript reports two semester grades for a year-long class (which I thought was typical).  I agree -call or email guidance.  You don't have to say which class you're thinking about.

To clarify, I do know that I can ask the guidance office.  I will eventually, but I want to know if this is something everyone does one way or the other.  If "everyone" averages the two semester grades and shows only the B @ 3 points on the transcript, I will drop this sooner, rather than later.  It doesn't sound like that is necessarily the case, so I'll keep at it.

1 hour ago, HeighHo said:

To give you more...a 90 is not an A at every high school.  A 93 is where the A starts.

It is an A at this one; that much I know.

In case anyone is wondering, we did get the grade changed, but not on account of the bizarre final exam but because the weighting used to calculate the final grade did not match the syllabus.  Using the weighting in the syllabus, she has an A.  I consider it a victory, albeit a costly one.  

• Like 1