Menu

Goals for this year - Just did a scary thing.

Jenny in Florida

I tend towards a certain amount of superstition in these kinds of things, so I'm not going to give details, but I am attempting to check off one of my personal goals for this year. I've been spending every spare moment for the last couple of weeks working on something, and as of about 15 minutes ago, the results of that work are heading out into the world for outside assessment and judgement. This is new territory for me. 

In my imagination, I can see and hear the folks on the other end of this laughing and asking themselves what I am thinking even trying to do this.

There's nothing substantive riding on the outcome. Falling short of the goal won't affect my livelihood or crush my soul or anything. But I will absolutely be disappointed.

So I sure would appreciate crossed fingers and/or happy thoughts. 

I should know something, one way or the other, in a few days.

• Like 23

It's funny, but out in the Real World, there's far more kudos for giving it a go than we're brought up to believe. Also, out in the Real World, there are owners of international companies who began at their own kitchen tables, who still think they aren't accomplished enough to be asked as guest speakers. (If they aren't, who the heck is? *fan girl drooling*)  My brother and I have launched a gallery and no one has actually said "You two are a pair of unqualified gits and should go home." They have said "Do you know what you're doing?" and when we said "Not really. We're kinda making it up as we go along," they said "Glad to hear it." :lol:

So, we only have to stalk this thread for a few days to find out all the excitement? That's good. ?

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

It's funny, but out in the Real World, there's far more kudos for giving it a go than we're brought up to believe. Also, out in the Real World, there are owners of international companies who began at their own kitchen tables, who still think they aren't accomplished enough to be asked as guest speakers. (If they aren't, who the heck is? *fan girl drooling*)  My brother and I have launched a gallery and no one has actually said "You two are a pair of unqualified gits and should go home." They have said "Do you know what you're doing?" and when we said "Not really. We're kinda making it up as we go along," they said "Glad to hear it." :lol:

So, we only have to stalk this thread for a few days to find out all the excitement? That's good. ?

Thanks so much for this!

I'm not sure I can promise "excitement," but I will definitely share once I get a response.

1 minute ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Thanks so much for this!

I'm not sure I can promise "excitement," but I will definitely share once I get a response.

You don't have to promise anything. I'm promising me that I'm going to find it exciting. ?

• Like 1

Good for you for stepping out of your comfort zone! Now, instead of focusing on what you don't want (disappointment, ridicule),

focus on what you DO want: acceptance and recognition for a job well done! And here's the truth of the matter: you can either allow others

to control how you feel about yourself, giving them the power, OR (and a much better action) YOU can choose how you feel, your response, to 

whatever anyone else says. If you KNOW that your idea is a great one (and you believe it is or you wouldn't have put some much time and effort into it), then

OWN that. You know there is a niche and a need for your idea. Enjoy being able to share that with the world! Be humbly proud of your accomplishment!

Thank you again for the good wishes.

It actually worked.

I've always done a variety of crafty things as hobbies, but in the last year or so I've been more intentional about it. I'm not trying to become a professional artist, but I did promise myself that I would try to put at least one piece of the visual art I've been working on "out there" this year. I left the specifics of what "out there" would mean very open and flexible, considering everything from putting some stuff up on Etsy to renting a table at a craft fair, but the concept that has most attracted me is to have work shown in some kind of public exhibit.

One of my favorite events every fall is the Day of the Dead exhibit at one of the large downtown galleries, which sounds more impressive, perhaps, than it is; the submission process is completely open, and they accept massive amounts of stuff. But they draw a huge crowd, and it's a ton of fun to browse. I had planned to submit for the show this past October and had started working on some stuff to fit the theme, but that was at about the same time that my son's car broke down (meaning I was driving him all over town for a couple of weeks) and the ongoing rift between my son and daughter was boiling over and my husband and I decided to go on a cruise on short notice. I ran out of time to complete the pieces and abandoned the whole project for a few months.

When I came up for air, I started looking around for other, similar events, watching for calls to artists. About three weeks ago, I saw one that appealed to me. The day I posted, I had just submitted three pieces for an exhibit that opens this Saturday.

Yesterday, I was notified that all three have been accepted. 

I delivered them to the venue today.

It's been kind of an overwhelming day for other reasons (I spent most of my day at work frantically trying to prepare for a presentation to other trainers of a new summer program curriculum I've been working on for several months), so I haven't really had time to decide how I'm feeling about this. I also still have no idea whether there was any actual "selection" process for the exhibit at all. But I am pretty pleased to have accomplished my goal, and I'm looking forward to attending the reception on Saturday and seeing something(s) I made hanging up in public for any and all to see.

• Like 35
  • Thanks 2

On 5/12/2018 at 6:09 PM, Jenny in Florida said:

I tend towards a certain amount of superstition in these kinds of things, so I'm not going to give details, but I am attempting to check off one of my personal goals for this year. I've been spending every spare moment for the last couple of weeks working on something, and as of about 15 minutes ago, the results of that work are heading out into the world for outside assessment and judgement. This is new territory for me. 

In my imagination, I can see and hear the folks on the other end of this laughing and asking themselves what I am thinking even trying to do this.

There's nothing substantive riding on the outcome. Falling short of the goal won't affect my livelihood or crush my soul or anything. But I will absolutely be disappointed.

So I sure would appreciate crossed fingers and/or happy thoughts. 

I should know something, one way or the other, in a few days.

Both really scary and exciting!1  (Are you writing, mama?) ? ❤️

• Like 1

Congratulations! 

And, thank you for sharing your story.  It's inspiring!  I find it so helpful to read what types of goals others set, and how they go about accomplishing them.  I especially like stories that include some jogs in the road  --  not being able to submit for the Day of the Dead, but persevering and finding a new event is EXACTLY the type of thing I need to hear about! 

• Like 2