Menu

Any music theory advice

My daughter wants to major in music.  She has had 11 years of piano, 2 years of violin, and 2 years of voice instruction.  She has done theory all along but I really think a good theory class would benefit her.  I am not a musical person at all (other than I appreciate it) and I am at a total loss.  She says that she is not good at theory but she seems to play some hard pieces.  Any advice?  I don't want to break the bank either.  Thank you!!

9 hours ago, Targhee said:

I was *just* looking at a course on Udemy. https://www.udemy.com/music-theory-complete/

I was looking at it for my music-maniac DS. 

I saw that before and wondered if my daughter would enjoy.  I just bought it and am going to give it a try.  ?  Thanks for the extra heads up. 

• Like 2

My dd took the music theory course offered through WTM a couple years ago then the following year took AP Music Theory. (fyi playing music at a really high level and knowing music theory and vice versa...can be totally unrelated.)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Donna said:

My dd took the music theory course offered through WTM a couple years ago then the following year took AP Music Theory. (fyi playing music at a really high level and knowing music theory and vice versa...can be totally unrelated.)

Thank you!!  That is the kind of information I need.  ?  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Targhee said:

I was *just* looking at a course on Udemy. https://www.udemy.com/music-theory-complete/

This course looks AMAZING! Just what I was looking for too! 

However, have you (or anyone else) ever used any "Udemy" courses?? I just googled "Udemy" and the reviews about the company and the customer service as well as some bait and switch stuff they do and overcharging are not pretty. I guess the course is only $10 bucks but I read about a customer that was half way through a course and then the company deleted their course as well as instructors' courses just disappearing. That would stink. Anyone have any experience with Udemy?

4 hours ago, borninthesouth said:

I just bought it and am going to give it a try.  ?

Dd can't work on course now so I guess I will wait a bit and see what happens but I really love everything about the course! Would you mind letting us know how your Dd does with the course and your thoughts on the company/course, etc? Thank you!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, counselinggirl said:

This course looks AMAZING! Just what I was looking for too! 

However, have you (or anyone else) ever used any "Udemy" courses?? I just googled "Udemy" and the reviews about the company and the customer service as well as some bait and switch stuff they do and overcharging are not pretty. I guess the course is only $10 bucks but I read about a customer that was half way through a course and then the company deleted their course as well as instructors' courses just disappearing. That would stink. Anyone have any experience with Udemy?

Dd can't work on course now so I guess I will wait a bit and see what happens but I really love everything about the course! Would you mind letting us know how your Dd does with the course and your thoughts on the company/course, etc? Thank you!

I will keep you posted if it ends badly ?  Here's hoping it's great!!

• Like 1

I have not used Udemt. At $10 and lifetime access I think it’s worth it to buy the course!

ETA: I actually bought that one, the next one (levels 4, 5, 6) for all the musicians in the house, and one on electronic music theory and production for DS specifically. Oh, and a German course for me. We love learning around here!

• Like 1

I have used Udemy courses, though not that music theory one.  I've had decent luck with the ones posted by reputable groups (typically have a number of classes on similar subject areas) that have good reviews.  It does help to read through a number of reviews to see what complains are about.  I've certainly got more out than the $10-$20 I've paid for my Udemy courses!

• Like 1

BTW - I watched some of the instructor's free videos for the Udemy Music Theory class and he talks about using MUSE SCORE as the music notation program--that is an excellent program! Dd had to learn to use that program quickly to put music she wrote in her head on paper--would have been super helpful to take this course first but I was very excited to see that he teaches music theory from that platform! ? Sounds like an amazing course from what I watched for free! Best of luck to those who are trying it--I plan to purchase soon! 

Thanks for the recommendations and reassurance about Udemy! 

• Like 2