Menu

Need Help Evaluating WWS-2 Essay

My son is working on the essay assignment in WWS level 2, week 25. It's the one where you have to model a one of two previously studied. My son chose to model the "pig" essay. The assignment is to compare two things, and explain why the one that is commonly thought to be less good or bad is actually better. He has chosen to write about why modern popular fiction is better than the classics. 

This is the first assignment that involves writing about your own opinion on something and defending an argument, rather than regurgitating facts. I'm having a hard time figuring out how much work he needs to spend on getting that part of it right. I found a lot of flaws in his logic and it also seemed like he deviated from his main argument. BUT... he's only 13 years old/8th grade. He's not rhetoric stage yet. And the example essay we have in the teacher's guide is about how twinkies are better than broccoli... so it's not like the example presents a super strong case :) So on the one hand, I feel like the essay needs to be completely rewritten. On the other hand, he's also really struggled and labored over this assignment and I feel like he needs to be done soon. I don't know how much revision I ought to expect.

An example: Classics are supposed to be better because they contain universal truths that have endured through time. His counter argument is that books shouldn't need to make a point because they are for entertainment. And modern literature doesn't try to make a point, so it's better. So we got into this long discussion where I pointed out that all authors have a worldview and YES, his favorite modern literature also tries to make a point. So it isn't a valid argument. He needs to say something more along the lines of - "Modern literature conveys its truth in a context that the reader can better relate to" or "universal truths are not of value; it only matters that I enjoy the story". Am I being too nit-picky here? Is it worth rewriting?

Another example: "Books shouldn't try to make a point about anything. If someone wants to make a point, they should write an essay". I said he got off topic. He's supposed to be arguing that modern literature is better than the classics. His opinion that arguments belong in essays, not stories is irrelevant. Again, worth making him rewrite it?

My inclination would be to ask for a rewrite for something that doesn’t flow or fit with the organization of the paper, but not for points that you do not feel are true or logical. It’s an opinion piece, and he can have his opinion. I would have taken those misunderstandings as an opportunity for a conversation, as you did.

How I have handled things like this depends on how they are doing in writing overall. At this stage I am trying to teach organization in writing, and worry less about content. Are you following the rubrics from the teacher guide? When I have been in doubt about an assignment they worked hard on, but I wasn’t 100% happy with it and didn’t know if we should just be done, I have looked at the rubric and if everything is checked off I say “good enough”.

Yes, his paper does follow the prescribed organization/flow. THAT he is always very good at. Yes, I have always relied on the TG rubrics. I agree, the rubric has always helped me decide if it's good enough. I feel like this particular situation is outside the realm of what has been addressed in the TG. So hmmm.... maybe that he has stuck to the structure is good enough then?

Yesterday I told him he could be done for the day when he came up with his simile and metaphor, while I thought more about what to have him do. But then he decided on his own to delete two paragraphs. So he's rewriting it anyway! I guess HE answered my dilemma for me...

• Like 1