Menu

Questions about Megawords

I've been looking at Megawords, but I'm not sure how the program works. How do you all use it? Do you just have your children complete the pages and they just learn how to spell the words that way? From the samples I've seen, the teacher's guide talks about giving reading and spelling skill checks. Do you all do that? If you give spelling tests from this, which words do you use? There are a lot of words at the beginning of each chapter. That would be very overwhelming. I guess I just need to see how this program is used by different people and what is working and not working for you all. Thanks!

Megawords isn't like a traditional spelling program, where the student learns a list of words for a test. Megawords teaches specific spelling rules, and the student practices applying those rules to a variety of words throughout the unit. Then the teacher tests the student on common words that follow those rules - the student may not have encountered those words in the unit, but they follow the rules so the student should be able to spell them correctly regardless. This way the student doesn't learn a list of correctly spelled words, but learns spelling rules so that their spelling improves in their writing in general. It really does work!

My daughter does two pages a day in the workbook. I dictate the syllables/words for any exercises that call for it and check her work occasionally. At the end of the unit she comes to me and I select random words from the word list at the beginning of the unit for her to spell orally (usually the starred words plus other words I think are common enough that she should be able to spell them, but definitely not all of them). She usually doesn't miss more than 2-3 words.

Until we started using Megawords in 7th grade, my daughter was a terrible speller ("thay" for "they"). As she has progressed through the books, her spelling has improved tremendously - all that work applying the rules over and over makes the rules stick in her brain, and she applies those rules to the words that she writes.

• Like 1

From the descriptions I had previously read, I though it was independent. Since it wasn't for us, it didn't work here.

ClearCreek's descriptions sound like how it is supposed to work. We didn't make it through the first book . . . Good luck!