Menu

Beginning in 6th Grade

Hello All! I would like to introduce myself (again), as a long-time reader of this forum and long-time waffler from taking my kids out of public school. Homeschooling has been something that I have always wanted for my kids (rising K, 2, 4, and 6th graders). Circumstances have kept my kids where they are, which I am blessed to say really has been a great school. My oldest is going into middle school next year, and it seems like a good time to pull her out (while leaving everyone else in ps for the time being). We can't afford private school, and my only other option is to send her to the school she has been assigned, which in my experience is downright awful. My daughter is brilliant, qualifies for "highly capable," and is a born leader. She sang in an audition-only choir, as well as played cello with the 5th grade orchestra this year. I have some questions about making this transition, should we go through with it. Thank you in advance for your ear and your kind advice.

My first question is about what subjects you include, and how you schedule it all in. I know that Math, Language Arts, Science, and History are indispensable. Also at this age, I would like to implement a theology or apologetics-based logic work (my own educational background is in these fields). I don't want to take away music, but I don't know how to do it without the public school system at a reasonable cost. Does anyone have experience with an online music program that goes beyond the basics and really teaches the instrument? We already have PE taken care of with taekwondo lessons. Can you tell me what else you consider essential? Do you find that with your own kids, doing each of the essential subjects each day works schedule-wise, or do you rotate through them as the week progresses? Also, where in the four-year cycle of TWTM should we begin, since we are starting in 6th grade?

My second question is about socialization. I know full well that homeschooling does not mean I am isolating my child or failing to socialize her. My concern is that she is such a leader, I don't want her to feel isolated or without an outlet for that gift. How can I foster her leadership skills in a homeschool setting?

I'm sure I will have more questions in the future, but I think I should start with these. Thanks again for your help!

My older kid finishes the last day of 6th grade tomorrow.  This year, we did the 4 main subjects, plus Bible.  We take a foreign language class at our co-op.  We did some logic once/week, and we did some things that don't precisely fit a subject, such as reading the stories of various operas.  In our area, there are lots of options for outside music.  Students can participate in the local school program, but there are many options available for homeschoolers.  Several co-ops have choir as an option, and a local music store has a homeschool choir group.  These involve fees, but they aren't exorbitant.  We recently saw our younger child perform in a 'Homeschool Choir Showcase' that allowed 4 different homeschool choirs to perform individually and then together as a large group, and they were fantastic.  There is also a local homeschool band and a youth symphony orchestra (not just for homeschoolers).  

In addition to music, you might find groups (either as part of a co-op class or sponsored by a homeschool group or even a motivated family) that allow students to do things like quiz bowl, science olympiad, public speaking, mock trail, the stock market game, drama, etc.  All of these allow for socialization and leadership.  You can also look for non-academic things like scouts, 4H, or volunteer work.  

For us, we have co-op once/week. My kids take mostly enrichment classes, so while their classes are fantastic, we don't do anything towards the 'main 4' subjects on that day.  We divide the work between the other 4 days.  We do math daily, in a straightforward 'do the next lesson' manner.  With the other subjects, there is some flexibility.  For example, in history we're focusing on learning to take notes and write reports.  I give a guideline of 'first take notes from the text, then from supplemental sources, then outline a paper, then write the paper'.  Depending on how long the section is, it can take from 1-4 weeks to do this.  For language arts, we do vocab on certain days, literature on certain days, etc.  The way that we organize our schedule is that I make index cards with one subject written on each card, with a card corresponding to each day that a particular subject needs to be worked on.  So, there are 4 math tickets, 2 vocab tickets, 2 literature tickets, etc.  At the start of the year, my kids take their stack of tickets and sort them in a pocket folder so that they are distributed through the week.  They can make changes as needed, but each day they can get their stack of tickets and work through the subjects listed until they're done.  Older kid prefers to front-load the week, so that M and T are very busy, but F is mellow and has very little writing and lots of reading.  Younger students prefers to keep it even so that no day is much longer than another.  I like that, once I have a general plan (there are 16 vocab lessons, so we'll do them almost every week, and I think we can do one in 2 days) then I don't have to think about how to schedule it each week.  If there is a problem, then I can make changes.  My kids like that this system is very flexible - if they enjoy a lesson, they might double up and do both parts in one day.  Or, if math takes longer than expected, literature gets moved to another day.  This doesn't happen often, but is great when we need it.  

My rising 6th grader will be doing:

Reading (reading comp/novels), English (grammar & writing), Math, Science, History, Civics, PE, Intro to Communication (home grown course that's really just a hodge podge of logic/debate, speech @ co-op, listening skills, & interpersonal communication), Spanish, & Music (either continue with band class or switch to guitar, although she'd really like to try violin).

I'm trying a sort of block schedule this year. For example, I'll do Reading & Civics/PE on M/W and English & Spanish/Communication on T/R.  Friday will be a morning fine arts co-op and shortened core-content class days. It's a bit confusing to describe. We'll see how it works out. 

I found a wonderful co-op in the next town over that offers, among other subjects, choir, band, orchestra, & guitar. Maybe you can check into one around your area?  I'm also looking into a field trip only co-op in a different neighboring town.  My oldest is in TKD & a local art class (although the latter meets infrequently), and my youngest is in 4H & Cub Scouts.  They both attend church weekly and play summer softball.  Between those and our co-ops (we also did a classical-type group last year in addition to our fine arts co-op), my kiddos have all the social interaction that I can stand. ; p

Some thoughts:

Continue with music at the school (only attend for music) and the adult choir.

I do skills (math, grammar, writing) daily and content (literature, science, history) in larger blocks a few times a week, allowing them to go deep.  I don’t know if you’re considering anything outsourced but we love OnlineG3 classes for history and literature for my gifted middle schooler. At this age other subjects to include could be ones of her choice - give her some rein to peruse and pursue interests. For example, my ds is working on writing a book, composing music, and studying ichthyology all on his terms - he decides when to work, what resources he might need, and where to go next. I do not grade these areas. I think it’s healthy for them to begin to take control of educational pursuits and elective subjects are a good place to start. I also think that giving them the freedom to explore with grades or mandates in those areas is healthy and encourages intrinsic motivations.

If you think she’s mature enough to take on logic the books by James Nance are good, and Christian. I wouldn’t call them apologetics though.  If you want to dip your toe instead of fully jumping in the Fallacy Dective and Think Toolbox books are good intros into logic and critical thinking.  We used them around that age.

The leadership will have to come in an extracurricular -setting - look for city youth council, speech and debate club, church youth group, volunteering in areas of interest (eg animal shelter, city council, library, after school program for young kids, etc), or perhaps creating a team for Destination Imagination/Odyssey of the Mind/First LEGO League. 

Best wishes!

Thank you for these ideas!  I love the idea of subject tickets, and will be implementing this! I was also thinking that block scheduling will work best rather than a strict hourly schedule each day. Our city has a co-op, but I'm not sure the cost is doable for us. Especially since now all my kids are expressing interest in homeschooling, not just my oldest.

One thing that I have to consider in weighing out whether or not to homeschool is that I am about to complete my master's degree at the end of the summer, and I was planning on going to work when my youngest goes to kinder. Considering homeschooling means I probably won't be working, which also means we will be staying with our current income and I won't have much extra cash to spend on things like co-op. But I hate to think that I have to choose a job over my family. One of my biggest regrets is missing out on some family activities and outings over the last three years, because I've had to stay behind and do homework instead. My family is more important to me than building a career.

I guess that is another question I have. How do you all afford the extras for your kids, like co-op and music lessons? I think that for the most part prices are reasonable for one kid, but for four kids it just puts thing out of reach.

Thanks again!

3 hours ago, kristamaranatha said:

Thank you for these ideas!  I love the idea of subject tickets, and will be implementing this! I was also thinking that block scheduling will work best rather than a strict hourly schedule each day. Our city has a co-op, but I'm not sure the cost is doable for us. Especially since now all my kids are expressing interest in homeschooling, not just my oldest.

One thing that I have to consider in weighing out whether or not to homeschool is that I am about to complete my master's degree at the end of the summer, and I was planning on going to work when my youngest goes to kinder. Considering homeschooling means I probably won't be working, which also means we will be staying with our current income and I won't have much extra cash to spend on things like co-op. But I hate to think that I have to choose a job over my family. One of my biggest regrets is missing out on some family activities and outings over the last three years, because I've had to stay behind and do homework instead. My family is more important to me than building a career.

I guess that is another question I have. How do you all afford the extras for your kids, like co-op and music lessons? I think that for the most part prices are reasonable for one kid, but for four kids it just puts thing out of reach.

Thanks again!

One way was using an umbrella school - they paid for curriculum and sometimes for classes. As the state regulation noose tightened on that, and options and funding were more limited, we ditched the umbrella to go it alone.

We did inexpensive (which usually equates to non-academic, or high parent commitment) co-ops.  One was YMCA (free with our membership, which also gave us use of facilities and other classes). One was $50 a year for a family but I had to teach/work in nursery  3 of 4 hours every term, and the classes were all enrichment.  Also, we joined a MeetUp group that was *amazing*! Membership was $5 a year for the family, to help pay for the MeetUp site fee, and all events were parent organized and you could RSVP yes or no (no obligation to a certain number).  Some had costs (e.g. Going to the zoo) and some were free (e.g. Going to the college planetarium). People hosted as they felt inclined. The MeetUp group was the best in terms if flexibility and costs.

We did activities that all the kids could do with sibling discounts (e.g. Children's theater). We took advantage of free things and good memberships with reciprocity for things like children's museums and zoos.  We spent lots of time in the great outdoors.

Curriculum we spent more on for older kids. At 6th grade we started having one or two outsourced classes.  Youngers it was a solid math, solid phonics/reading/spelling program, and library cards. Or we bought shared curricula (e.g. SOTW for all).

We are in a better place financially now and do more outsourcing, but that is also a function of my kids getting older.

We started hs'ing when our kids were in 8th, 6th, 4th, K, and a toddler so very smilar to your situation.

For music, I'd stay with the audition choir and maybe see how it works to continue cello at school. For us it wasn't worth it to continue band at school because of the pain it was to go back and forth for a 1 hour class, but if your other kids are at school it might not be as much of a disruption to your homeschool schedule as it was for us. We do piano lessons for all our kids starting around 4th grade and going through about 10th or 11th grade. It definitely is a financial sacrifice, but it's been so rewarding and worth it for us. We save a little bit on costs by reusing books/music and once they get older they can alternate lessons with a sibling so that the teacher is still booked for a weekly lesson but they each only have a lesson every 2 weeks, if that makes sense.

In 6th grade we do a combination of composition, grammar, spelling, vocabulary, and just reading and discussing good books that often go along with our history studies for language arts. I will say that math was the one place we really really struggled to find the right curriculum for when we began homeschooling. We combine history with some geography and basic civics at that level. Science could be just about anything at that age that keeps her interested and motivated. You might want to consider an art program and some typing/keyboarding practice. For logic we've used a fun, gentle introduction to informal logical fallacies and word puzzles. We do not do all of those subjects every single day!!!

For leadership opportunities, my kids have had most of theirs in extra curricular stuff like a summer job, speech and debate club, and drama productions. I can't recommend NCFCA speech and debate highly enough as both an educational and social experience - it's probably the most worthwhile thing we've done in our homeschool, other than read alouds (which we did even when we didn't homeschool).

Good luck!

Not knowing what your degree is in, it's hard to know if a part-time work situation would be possible.  Our co-op has paid teachers and a tiny number of paid jobs that are covered by our fees.  Parents who do those jobs work while their kids are in class, and it's enough to pay, or at least make a dent in, schooling expenses.  A mom that I know who is a nurse works at one of the 'ask a nurse' phone lines, and she works 2-3 nights/week, from dinnerish time until midnight.  A former student is finishing an accounting degree, with plans to work from home doing bookkeeping part-time while homeschooling, and another mom works 2 days from 8-2 as a physical therapist in a hospital.  One of the 2 days her kids have co-op, and I'm not sure what the kids do the other day - she may school in the afternoon, or they may work with a sitter/grandma, although I just realized with a shock that at this point they are old enough to stay home and work alone. Of course, not all jobs have that flexibility, but that's how some families cover those expenses.  And, co-ops and classes vary a lot by what they cost, and group things like choir are much less expensive than private lessons.  I don't know if you are religious, but another possibility is church choirs.  Some churches allow kids in the adult choir, and I've seen some that have strong youth choirs (our choir director is a former school music teacher). 

Look for some more affordable activities that are sponsored by the community.  A community theater might be available and that is usually free.  If they do musical theater, she can use her voice there.  There may be a homeschool choir that is set up like a ministry, to sing in nursing homes for example.  Or you might be able to get her involved in the music program at your church. Otherwise, music education is very pricey.  I know a few families who bartered for lessons, maybe you have something to offer in return?

Other affordable activities might be 4-H, which has some leadership opportunities and lots of funding.  Some scout troops have a lot of support and fundraisers making them affordable (some go on a ton of trips you pay out of pocket for- research your local options!).  Old fashioned coops where moms take turns teaching are usually free or very inexpensive. Drop off or academic coops where you pay for expertise get more pricey.  A homeschool group may organize low cost opportunities for service, field trips, etc..  If you have a YMCA they often offer financial aid and sometimes have homeschool offerings.

Lots of homeschoolers are one income and on a budget with several kids so it can be done!