Menu

Kids, the ocean, fear of sharks

umsami

As someone who is somewhat leery of the ocean (who am I kidding? Pretty much all water), I would not force/bribe my kids into surf camp. I vividly remember having swimming lessons on the river as a kid and I was terrified and skeeved out both in equal measures. I remember balling my eyes out because I was being made to repeatedly plunge my face in that dark water. My mom was Oyster Queen and was nonplussed to have such a water weenie for a child. 

I’m also a temperature prima donna. I don’t understand why anyone tortures themselves by swimming in ice water. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

in 1975 after my mother took me to see Jaws - I didn't want to get in the water, even thought I knew we didn't have sharks in our area.  everyone was looking around.

I can remember being so spooked by that movie as a little kid that I was halfway scared to go in the pool, and I kept looking over my shoulder for sharks the whole time I was in there.:laugh:

• Like 1

On 5/9/2018 at 1:50 PM, umsami said:

Realizing that their fears are unwarranted.  That sometimes it's OK to try something your'e a little uneasy about it, and 99% of the time, everything is fine.  

I think I've overstated their fear of sharks based on past experiences.  I think this new found OMG No sharks...is more of a "I don't want to do anything formal" this summer--which is not an option.  I work and need at least a few hours each day without kids to get that work done.

Well, this, I do understand, and I know you have been wanting to curb their screen time, which I fully support. Where I live, there are myriad camps, pretty much everything one can thing of, so if you have similar options, I would pick something active that isn’t surfing/swimming and meet them in the middle. I am all for nudging kids to do *something*. We all know how easy it is to default to screens instead (says she from her iPad). (In my defense, I spent four hours busting a$$ in my garden this morning, so I earned my WTM time! :D) 

• Like 2

On 5/9/2018 at 2:43 PM, Stacia said:

Yeah, ok, I amend my take on lakes. I don't like lakes in the south because of snakes & gators. And bacteria. (I think the last time I was in a lake was when I was a kid.)

I'd take the ocean any day.

Don't forget the brain eating amoeba.

• Like 3

TODAY on Facebook, a friend posted video of bloody water on the beach. She was in the water with her kids when a bull shark bit a tarpon in half. She had to toss one kid out and go back for the other one. They weren’t that far from the shore! Some lady got stuck on the rocks, freaked, and tried to swim back. The shark went for her, but the crowd threw rocks and confused him and she made it. I don’t know WHY she didn’t just stay put. The video was surreal. 

ETA - This was Key West FL

I went to see Deadpool and they played a trailer for The Meg, lol. If you haven't heard of that movie, it features a 75-foot prehistoric shark (megalodon).  there's a monster outside (said in scary movie kid whisper). dd and I just looked at each other and "noped" simultaneously. If you have lingering memories of Jaws,  this might cause full-blown hysteria. 

Also, the nature preserve near us had to close down a trail because mama gator has decided no one is getting past her: 

35463205_1266894913443335_53341082879378

• Like 1

4 hours ago, katilac said:

I went to see Deadpool and they played a trailer for The Meg, lol. If you haven't heard of that movie, it features a 75-foot prehistoric shark (megalodon).  there's a monster outside (said in scary movie kid whisper). dd and I just looked at each other and "noped" simultaneously. If you have lingering memories of Jaws,  this might cause full-blown hysteria. 

Also, the nature preserve near us had to close down a trail because mama gator has decided no one is getting past her: 

35463205_1266894913443335_53341082879378

That’s my nope.

If sharks are a concern the last thing the kids should do is surf.  Sharks don't want to eat people, we are too gamey.  But imagine how someone paddling on their surfboard might look to a shark from below.   Long oval body with little fins coming out.   Yes, a dolphin, a fat yummy dolphin.    
If I lived near the ocean, I'd say "Swimming fine, scuba fine.  No surfing"   

Jellyfish are the current problem a few counties south of Umsami (if I'm correct in remembering where you are), one county north of me. 

The article is a few days old. As of last night's local news the number is up over 1000 now. 

http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20180611/800-beachgoers-treated-for-jellyfish-stings-in-volusia

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/16/2018 at 5:58 AM, shawthorne44 said:

If sharks are a concern the last thing the kids should do is surf.  Sharks don't want to eat people, we are too gamey.  But imagine how someone paddling on their surfboard might look to a shark from below.   Long oval body with little fins coming out.   Yes, a dolphin, a fat yummy dolphin.    
If I lived near the ocean, I'd say "Swimming fine, scuba fine.  No surfing"   

Or one could equip the board with black and white striped anti-shark camouflage.

People, smarter than sharks ?

Bill