Menu

Spine for Modern History, 8th grade

We've been using The Medieval and Early Modern World series by Oxford University Press this year.  My son has really enjoyed it and has completed the Student Study Guide companions that go along with the books. (We did not accomplish everything in them, however.) But he's learned a lot and it's sparked great discussions. I can't seem to find another series for the modern era that he should use next. Any recommendations. I've looked all over the Oxford University Press website hoping for something just like it but covering the next history cycle. Help! 

The third book in the K12 Human Odyssey set is 1914- present. It is  inexpensive (purchased used, on Amazon), nicely written with narrative style and attractively laid out. We add library books, literature, videos, discussion and some writing and enjoy it very much. We will be doing later modern some time next year. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

The third book in the K12 Human Odyssey set is 1914- present. It is  inexpensive (purchased used, on Amazon), nicely written with narrative style and attractively laid out. We add library books, literature, videos, discussion and some writing and enjoy it very much. We will be doing later modern some time next year. 

I agree! This series is excellent.

• Like 2

My current plan is to use K12 Human Oddysey volume 3 for modern history and supplement it with OUP's Pages in History series as I am able to find them at the library, etc.  They are similar to the World in Ancient Times series in that they have many original documents, however, they are decidedly more "mature" and they don't have the text discussion that the World in Ancient Times series does. That said, I still decided to use bits and pieces of some of them.  I am not sure that you could easily use them as your "core" because they are just a series of letters, speeches, photos, advertisements, political cartoons, etc. with brief introductions.  But they could be used to supplement another book, such as K12's Human Odyssey.

• Like 1

Have you looked at Mystery of History vol 4?  I have not seen it myself, but I know a few folks who used it either as a spine or a resource for modern.  Stobaugh has interesting history books.  I used his British book as a resource (not a primary text).  There are quite a few WWI and WWII books and resources if you want to add more discussion.  Notgrass might be an interesting one too. 

My rising eighth grader really likes k12’s Human Odyssey. We used Notgrass’s America the Beautiful this year, and he liked it okay; it is slightly easier text but often longer sections. He’s looking forward to going back to Human Odyssey this upcoming year (after using it for ancients and medieval). 

• Like 2