Menu

after Dimensions Math (or Discovering Mathematics) 7 and 8

Has anyone gone through both years of Dimensions Math?

What did you move on to after you finished?

Did you feel comfortable counting it as an actual credit for Algebra 1?

Did you redo algebra with a separate (non-integrated) option? and then move on to Geometry? Or call algebra 1 covered and move on to Geometry, then Algebra 2?

I think integrated/DM for middle school is a good idea for at least my oldest dd, but I'm trying to plan ahead for how to proceed after...

I only did DM 7, but since no one else has responded, I'll give you my $.02.

My understanding is that after 8, the student has completed the equivalent of Algebra I and some of Geometry, but not all the topics covered in a normal geometry course. I wasn't really sure what I was going to do about geometry when he was finished - possibly choose a textbook and skip over topics he had already covered, although I was bothered by the idea of buying a very expensive textbook only to skip over a chunk of the topics.

Anyway, ds started DM 8A and really struggled with it a whole lot. He was working independently - so possibly we would have completed the series successfully if I was working through it with him - but alas, I needed the time to work with younger dd. So after just the first chapter or two, we switched to MWB (Foerster's) Algebra I and it was a perfect transition. Some review, but not much. 

I'd say that DM 7 A & B are the equivalent of pre-algebra, and if you were to move on to something else after that, it would be Algebra I. 

Hope that sorta helps!

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/10/2018 at 3:38 PM, Milknhoney said:

I only did DM 7, but since no one else has responded, I'll give you my $.02.

My understanding is that after 8, the student has completed the equivalent of Algebra I and some of Geometry, but not all the topics covered in a normal geometry course. I wasn't really sure what I was going to do about geometry when he was finished - possibly choose a textbook and skip over topics he had already covered, although I was bothered by the idea of buying a very expensive textbook only to skip over a chunk of the topics.

Anyway, ds started DM 8A and really struggled with it a whole lot. He was working independently - so possibly we would have completed the series successfully if I was working through it with him - but alas, I needed the time to work with younger dd. So after just the first chapter or two, we switched to MWB (Foerster's) Algebra I and it was a perfect transition. Some review, but not much. 

I'd say that DM 7 A & B are the equivalent of pre-algebra, and if you were to move on to something else after that, it would be Algebra I. 

Hope that sorta helps!

Our biggest problem is that DM kind of picks up in progress with some topics that we didn't cover. It really bogged my son down. The information was there, but we had to dig and take a lot more time. I am planning to use it as a supplement at this point and continue with Foersters. Foersters is in a totally different sequence, but I think the DM would be for selective challenging review.

If we finished DM in a timely fashion, I would probably split up geometry I felt was not covered and an Algebra II course--I would alternate and do them together spread out however long might be applicable (not two full years if the geometry was picked up easily from the prep with DM). 

I have heard of people using Saxon's Advanced Math after DM also.