Menu

Guidance Counselor recommendation for high school program?

Has anyone had to write one of these for high school programs your kid is applying to? My summer plans changed suddenly, now applying for some camps and there is a guidance (principal, headmaster, guidance) recommendation needed as well as an academic one. I guess I didn't expect to write one until far off in the future when he applies to college. Now I need to write one tonight and it feels wrong in all sorts of ways, not least that I cannot brag about my kids and it is unseemly to do so. How did you go about it? Yes, I will google samples online. Many thanks for any thoughts.

I was putting off the same question, just can't figure out how to write a balanced one without AOs rolling their eyes. I still have another 8-9 months. I was going to apply to SOHS this year, but the thought of a complete application with letters from everyone just seemed too much to handle and for only one class. I, too, thought it wouldn't happen for another 4-5 years. 

I did not write for high school, but for college. What helped me was to think of what purpose the letter serves: not to laud their accomplishments (the transcript and test scores should speak for themselves), but to explain my student's personality, interests, approach to academic work. This can be done quite objectively. I would not think of it as a "recommendation" as much as another piece of information that tells the school how this student ticks and why the school is a good fit for him.

You don't  need to, nor should you, "brag" in the counselor letter.

• Like 1

I had to write a couple of these. I tried to write about situations or characteristics that I knew they wouldn't mention.  I used specific examples.  For example I told about how one kid had become a swim coach intern by staying after his own practice each day to help younger swimmers.  Several of them listed beating him at a 50 free or at push ups as one of their season goals.  I also told about how he took care to teach younger scouts and was a model to many of them.