Menu

Book a Week 2018 - BW19: Nobel Prize Winners

aggieamy

3 hours ago, marbel said:

Thanks for the recommendations on the Yorkshire books!  I will look into those.  I have tried The Moonstone a few times over the years but always end up putting it aside. Maybe I'll try again. On the other hand I have never read Dracula!  I also have a few things coming from the library - a sampler pack of Yorkshire to try out!   In the meantime, I have a few other things to read....

Robin, what a sweet photo!  Glad you had a good trip.

I love Dracula!  I never read it until our first visit to Whitby ten years ago and have now read it three times.  The Whitby descriptions are wonderful.  On a side note Whitby is a favourite place and I would love to move to that area.

1 hour ago, aggieamy said:

Just popping in for a break from working. This 9-5 stuff is the pits. I've got six deadlines this month, someone just called about another project, and next week John and I are going to fly out and visit my folks for a week. It's crazy. But it's the self-employed life. And when I'm super busy with work I get a lot of audiobook time in.

I just picked this up for DD for her birthday. She's a big AC fan too. I'm so glad you recommended it.

Did the group decide which Hardy book we w any to read?

@tuesdayschild

I can't seem to delete @tuesdayschild.........

I think the "which Hardy" decision has been put off for a couple of weeks.  If you have a preference..................

Your Dd will love that  Agatha Christie book!  

And finally it's good your business is filled with work from dh.  ;).  Have a great time with your parents! 

I posted this a couple of weeks ago because I was on the wrong bus but I'll repost it if anyone is looking for a fun cozy Dorset mystery.

This Side of Murder (Verity Kent) by Anna Huber.

Also a few images to inspire your reading and start packing things up to move to Dorset.

image.thumb.png.f4f5228da63902db46412f59109f8b87.png

Image from Purley Phottr on Flickr

gallery-1458141559-dorset-beach-scene.jp

Image courtesy of country living uk

Beautful photos!  If anyone is looking for a book set in Dorset,  Remarkable Creatures is wonderful especially if you have been through a serious dinosaur stage with any of your children.  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6457081-remarkable-creatures?ac=1&from_search=true

• Like 6

Today only free download (from the author of The Scarlet Pimpernel): 

The Old Man in the Corner by Baroness Orczy

"He sits in the corner of the A.B.C. café, a length of string in his fingers. As the afternoon winds down, he ties and unties intricate knots—in the string and in his mind. No one in the café knows his name, but the old man in the corner is the most brilliant sleuth in London. No matter how baffling the crime, he need only glance at the newspapers to know the culprit.

Skeptical of the old man’s powers of ratiocination, journalist Polly Burton tests him. An industrialist blackmailed? A body found rotting in an abandoned barge? A will forged in far-off Dublin? The man in the corner cannot be stumped. As he eagerly informs the mystified Miss Burton, “There is no such thing as a mystery in connection with any crime, provided intelligence is brought to bear upon its investigation.”"

Two currently free books for Kindle readers ~ 

LGBT:  The Lightning-Struck Heart  by TJ Klune

LGBT:  St. Nacho's  by Z.A. Maxfield

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mumto2 said:

I love Bollywood movies but the rest of my family doesn't.  I watch them on airplanes. ;). That being said I might need to get a copy of Bride and Prejudice.

I seem to have failed at the liking to watch the shows based on Ann Cleeves books  but I really like Vera in book form.  Everyone watched them including the Dc's friends.  I stalled reading the Shetland series and abandoned the book I was on.  At the time I couldn't get past what had happened in the storyline..........a murder, but I liked the character a whole lot!

Any recs for a start into Bollywood movies? I’ve never seen one, but am interested!

You guys have made the  My Family and Other Animals call out to me from beneath its dust in my shelf.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Penguin said:

Any recs for a start into Bollywood movies? I’ve never seen one, but am interested!

You guys have made the  My Family and Other Animals call out to me from beneath its dust in my shelf.

I've only seen three - Bride and Prejudice, Monsoon Wedding, and Lagaan.  The third one is something like three hours long and about a cricket match in colonial India - but still really fun.  I'd probably start with one of the first two. Bride and Prejudice is hilarious - loved the Gospel choir on singing on risers on the beach on a brief visit to the US in that one. lol.  Monsoon Wedding is by Mira Nair, who usually makes more 'serious' films; this was her try at Bollywood.

I'd also love to hear any other recs!

• Like 6

Thank you, ladies.   

Jenn, my dad doesn't wear cowboy boots. Says they are too uncomfortable and loves his old uniform dress shoes.  My nephews however where boots majority of the time.

Amy - Happy you are so busy and have lots of clients. You deserve a break and hope you have lots of fun with your family.

Luvtoread -  Enjoy your last year coming up. It will go by fast.  We are in the last four weeks of 12th grade and I'm feeling pressure to get everything done before graduation.  I'm missing the planning and perusing of curriculum for next year.

Thomas Hardy read sounds like fun.  I can highlight him on May 27 - June 2nd post since June 2nd is the anniversary of his birthday.  I currently have Return of the Native in my stacks. If you all can't decide on a joint read of the same book, it can be a free read as VC so poetically suggested - 'we'll meet on the windswept moor."  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Penguin said:

2 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

I've only seen three - Bride and Prejudice, Monsoon Wedding, and Lagaan.  The third one is something like three hours long and about a cricket match in colonial India - but still really fun.  I'd probably start with one of the first two. Bride and Prejudice is hilarious - loved the Gospel choir on singing on risers on the beach on a brief visit to the US in that one. lol.  Monsoon Wedding is by Mira Nair, who usually makes more 'serious' films; this was her try at Bollywood.

I'd also love to hear any other recs!

I definitely need to watch Monsoon Wedding and Bride and Prejudice!

Bollywood is something I only watch on long plans journeys because I am completely stressed and am happy to sit quietly and  read subtitles.  My requirements are sappy romance and big dance scenes generally!I

Chennai Express is considered somewhat of a classic and was my first.  I think I own it because I loved it so much I bought it for a planned Bollywood Night party that never happened........need to make that happen this year! Here is a YouTube link I hope https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_c9KqDifUvw

I went through a long list and identified Mere Yaar Ki Shaadi Hai https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KMXJyrWzyKE  (dance scene) and Dear Zindagi https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZBPjt9NQtk as being other Bollywood movies i enjoyed.

On a recent trip I watched Guest in London an loved it!  Bollywood meets Brit Tripping!  ?https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nPezCIqTZ-k

I generally start my search looking for the following actors Shahrukh Khan, Ranbir Kapoor, and Deepika Padukone.

While hunting for these links I found Yeh Jawani Hai Deewani which I now want to watchhttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JaGcvrl3V5I

Let me know what you guys think after you try one!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think Bride and Prejudice is a great intro to Bollywood. Here is the scene of the ball where Darcy first sees Elizabeth and Bingly sees Jane. In this case Bingly is the adorable Naveen Andrews, who was Sayid in Lost. 

I also love the Mr. Collins character....and the song "no life without wife".  I may have to have my own private little party tonight just to watch this again, lol!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JennW in SoCal said:

I think Bride and Prejudice is a great intro to Bollywood. Here is the scene of the ball where Darcy first sees Elizabeth and Bingly sees Jane. In this case Bingly is the adorable Naveen Andrews, who was Sayid in Lost. 

I also love the Mr. Collins character....and the song "no life without wife".  I may have to have my own private little party tonight just to watch this again, lol!

Ok, you sold me.......I will have a copy this weekend.

• Like 6

Three currently free books for Kindle readers ~ 

Contemporary romance which I enjoyed:   Bittersweet (True North Book 1)  by Sarina Bowen

My favorite book by the above author is also currently free:  The Year We Fell Down: A Hockey Romance (The Ivy Years Book 1)

German versions of the above (I don't know if these are samples or entire books): 

True North - Wo auch immer du bist (Vermont-Reihe 1) (German Edition)

The Ivy Years - Bevor wir fallen (Ivy-Years-Reihe 1) (German Edition)

Also (in English)

LGBT:  Witches of London - Lars  by  Aleksandr Voinov

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 3

A couple of bookish posts ~

5 Books About Learning to Communicate with Alien Species   by Martha Wells

One of my favorite books is listed ~ Janet Kagan's Uhura's Song.

Why Would Any Parent Send Their Kids to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry?  by Emily Asher-Perrin

ETA:   What Mister Rogers Can Teach Us About Storytelling  by Robert Repino

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 3

I just finished Far From the Madding Crowd.  What a satisfying book.  

I had a couple unexpected reading hours today. My kid (who is not a kid really) somehow squirted some airplane model glue into his eye. The instructions said to wash out for 15 minutes and seek medical care, so that's what we did. (He is our safety officer.)  After doc office hours, so we called urgent care... they said to go to ER.  So, there we sat. His eye is fine but they were pleased that he took it seriously.

Tomorrow I will get back to Yorkshire and listen to Simon Vance reading Dracula!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, marbel said:

His eye is fine but they were pleased that he took it seriously.

Yikes!  I'm glad that he is fine.

1 hour ago, marbel said:

Tomorrow I will get back to Yorkshire and listen to Simon Vance reading Dracula! 

My husband, daughter (then a teen), and I listened to Dracula on a family trip.  Good memories!

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 6

1 hour ago, marbel said:

I had a couple unexpected reading hours today. My kid (who is not a kid really) somehow squirted some airplane model glue into his eye. The instructions said to wash out for 15 and seek medical care, so that's what we did. (He is our safety officer.)  After doc office hours, so we called urgent care... they said to go to ER.  So, there we sat. His eye is fine but they were pleased that he took it seriously.

How scary!  I am so glad he is fine.

I’m glad to know you enjoyed Far From a Maddening Crowd.  Eventually we have to decide which Hardy.......

I ‘m busy listening to Christie’s Seven Dials Mystery.  I really loved it the first time I read it but now suspect the love had a whole lot to do with the fact that it was appropriate for Dd  who was about 11 at the time. lol

• Like 8

Here's a review of a book that sounds as though it might appeal to some here.  Violet Crown, I was reminded of you as I seem to recall you reading Pepys' diary.

REVIEW: The Judge Hunter by Christopher Buckley  from Jayne at the Dear Author site

"Dear Mr. Buckley,

Not ever having read any of your previous books, I had no idea what to expect from “The Judge Hunter.” The bird on the cover caught my eye and the blurb sounded interesting. The there was the promise of an enchanting book with comedy, politics, adventure and romance. I couldn’t resist.

Quite frankly, the book started out a little slow and I was more enchanted with Sam Pepys than our hero Balty the proverbial thorn in Sam’s side. Throughout the book, I enjoyed Sam’s various chapters and even the artistic license taken with “writing” some entries for his diary. Balty took a while to grow on me.

Once he arrives in Newe England, Balty’s “fish out of water” disenchantment with the sour and dour Puritans makes me warm to him. I began to see him as a bit of Hugh Laurie playing “Bertie Wooster” – he’s a little silly, a little put out when things don’t go his way and at times becomes a thorn in the side of the man pledged to help him in his quest. Yes, Balty is a thorn wherever he goes.

Hiram Huncks is ostensibly there to assist Balty track down the two regicides who up until now have eluded Charles II in his attempts to execute the men who signed his father’s order of execution. Soon, though even somewhat dim Balty realizes that there’s something else in the works beyond hunting down the two men. But what?..."

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 4

So I finished my re-read of Agatha Christie 's Seven Dials by audiobook. It was pretty dreadful and I honestly only gave it a three on Goodreads because the WHO ended up be the most unlikely imo of all the suspects.  When on Goodreads I read a review by Amy which made me totally crack up, in her words "Agatha does Espionage" and not well btw!  Amy couldn't finish.  ?

On the Christie Challenge list over on 52 books I have now read the first 10,  sort of.  I fell asleep listening to Murder on the Links and it played through til the end.  I had some odd dreams and as I know that one well decided I had completed it well enough and simply didn't add it to Goodreads

• Like 7

Yoo hoo Violet Crown...  you mentioned Le Morte D'Arthur as your Hampshire read... I came across that in the bookcase yesterday, and it's tempting.  But my mind drifted to Sir Gawain and the Green Knight - that should count for Hampshire too, then?   (Yes, I'm lazy. It's much shorter.  Though it's been more years since I read Malory...)

• Like 6

6 hours ago, mumto2 said:

So I finished my re-read of Agatha Christie 's Seven Dials by audiobook. It was pretty dreadful and I honestly only gave it a three on Goodreads because the WHO ended up be the most unlikely imo of all the suspects.  When on Goodreads I read a review by Amy which made me totally crack up, in her words "Agatha does Espionage" and not well btw!  Amy couldn't finish.  ?

On the Christie Challenge list over on 52 books I have now read the first 10,  sort of.  I fell asleep listening to Murder on the Links and it played through til the end.  I had some odd dreams and as I know that one well decided I had completed it well enough and simply didn't add it to Goodreads

My least favorite stories are the espionage ones! Ugh. I was wondering what you would think of it when I saw you were reading it.

One benefit of being super busy with work is that I get a lot of audiobooks in. When I'm doing stuff that doesn't require lots of brain power I can listen. I've listened to four books this week. Four!

I've also gotten strep throat. How does that work?!!? I'm too old for a kid sickness.

I'll pop back in tomorrow and report on my audiobooks.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

On 5/9/2018 at 8:03 PM, marbel said:

I had a couple unexpected reading hours today. My kid (who is not a kid really) somehow squirted some airplane model glue into his eye. The instructions said to wash out for 15 minutes and seek medical care, so that's what we did. (He is our safety officer.)  After doc office hours, so we called urgent care... they said to go to ER.  So, there we sat. His eye is fine but they were pleased that he took it seriously.

Glad his eye is okay!

Definitely a satisfying read. So often there's a point in a book where you think, "Dang that boy needs shootin"--but so rarely does a character step up to the plate that obligingly.

4 hours ago, marbel said:

Yoo hoo Violet Crown...  you mentioned Le Morte D'Arthur as your Hampshire read... I came across that in the bookcase yesterday, and it's tempting.  But my mind drifted to Sir Gawain and the Green Knight - that should count for Hampshire too, then?   (Yes, I'm lazy. It's much shorter.  Though it's been more years since I read Malory...)

Well, Malory thought Camelot was in Winchester -- he mentions it in Book 2 -- but did the "Gawain" author? Not my call ... [looks around for Amy and Sandy]

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Violet Crown said:

<snip>

Well, Malory thought Camelot was in Winchester -- he mentions it in Book 2 -- but did the "Gawain" author? Not my call ... [looks around for Amy and Sandy]

Ah, good point.  Well, it'd be fine for a wild card, in any case...  but I just remembered I had to get rid of my copy; it was a cheap paperback that made my eyes sting to read it.  

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, marbel said:

Ah, good point.  Well, it'd be fine for a wild card, in any case...  but I just remembered I had to get rid of my copy; it was a cheap paperback that made my eyes sting to read it.  

Ok, I liked your post because it was the only choice that worked.  I hate little print.  Camelot seems to be located in many locations including London and Cumbria.

Amy, I hope you feel better.  Strep throat is awful.

• Like 2

Hugs Amy!  Gets some rest and hope you feel better soon.  

My computer has locked me out again after forcing another update while I was in the middle of fiddling with system changes.  Hubby is doing what he can to fix. Meanwhile back to the iPad and borrowing his laptop when not in use.

Currently reading Faith Hunter’s Dark Queen. So good!

• Like 4

For the Brit-Trippers, here's an article with some book ideas for East Anglia (which includes Norfolk, Sussex, Essex and maybe some others?).  

Mark World Book Day with 18+ novels set in the beautiful East Anglian Countryside.  (Link is to Ipswich Star, March 2017)

I was happy to see it includes a mention of my family's favorite read-aloud series by Arthur Ransome - specifically the book Coot Club which is set in the Norfolk Broads. (I am thinking of re-reading the first book, Swallows and Amazons, for Cumbria.)   

The Essex Serpent has been on my TBR list for a long time so now I have a reason to finally get to it.

• Like 6

38.  "The Man in the Brown Suit" by Agatha Christie.  I can't decide if I missed these last two years ago when I thought I'd read every Agatha Christie ever, or if it's just been so long that I'd forgotten the stories.  One advantage of aging, I guess!

I was struck by the differences in our eras.  The story takes it absolutely for granted that the older bosses want pretty young secretaries with "liquid eyes" who are willing to hold hands with them.  But because they are single, and therefore, eligible bachelors, the girls don't necessarily mind.

37.  "How to Speak Dragonese" by Cressida Cowell.  DD8 and I are continuing our read-aloud streak.

36.  "Reading Magic" by Mem Fox.  I didn't care for this one, even though it promotes reading aloud.  For one, she makes a few comments about parents sticking to reading aloud to their children and leaving the actual teaching of how to read to professional teachers.  But one claim she made really annoyed me.  She gives an antidote about the eleven-month old son of a friend, and talks about how much they read aloud to him, and how much interaction they have over books, and then she makes this statement: "Because of this interaction, it's unlikely that Ryan will ever need the services of a speech pathologist."  That's a nice thought, but....

... I read aloud to my son constantly, starting before he was born, even.  We talked, and encouraged him to talk, and never used baby talk.  He had a huge vocabulary and knew the proper names for everything.  And totally needed speech therapy, for many years. 

35.  "Murder on the Links" by Agatha Christie. (France, London, Warwickshire)

• 34. "The Grave's a Fine and Private Place" by Alan Bradley.  (Fictional England)
  • 33. "The Read-Aloud Family" by Sarah Mackenzie. 
  • 32. "Poirot Investigates" by Agatha Christie.  (London, Northamptonshire, Derbyshire, Lancashire, Sussex, Kent, Devonshire) 
  • 31.  "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" by J.K. Rowling.  (London and Surrey) .
  • 30.  "The Skull Beneath the Skin" by P.D. James. (Dorset, London)  
  • 29. "How to Be a Pirate" by Cressida Cowell.
  • 28.  "Simply Classical" by Cheryl Swope
  • 27. "Partners in Crime" by Agatha Christie. (London, Surrey, Sussex, Berkshire, Suffolk, Devon)
  • 26. "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" by J.K. Rowling. (London, Surrey, and Devon)
  • 25. "Give Your Child the World" by Jamie C. Martin.
  • 24. "Vanishing Girl" by Shane Peacock. (London, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, Bedforshire, and Hampshire! --  I'll have my choice, and I've finally left London on my Brit trip!)
  • 23. "Honey for a Child's Heart" by Gladys Hunt.
  • 22. "How to Train Your Dragon" by Cressida Cowell.
  • 21. "Death in the Air" by Shane Peacock. (London) 
  • 20. "Her Royal Spyness" by Rhys Bowen. (London)
  • 19. "Teach Like Your Hair's On Fire" by Rafe Esquith.
  • 18. "Every Falling Star" by Sungju Lee. 
  • 17. "The Nature Fix" by Florence Williams.
  • 16. "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" by J,K. Rowling. (London and Surrey)
  • 15. "Why Don't Students Like School?" by Daniel T. Willingham.
  • 14. "Thrice the Brinded Cat Hath Mew'd" by Alan Bradley. (London and fictional Bishop's Lacy)
  • 13. "Eye of the Crow" by Shane Peacock. (London)
  • 12.  "Secret Adversary" by Agatha Christie.  (London, Dorset, Kent,  and fictional England, and WWI at the beginning -- The opening scene is set on the sinking Lusitania.)
  • 11.  "Mysterious Affair at Styles" by Agatha Christie.   (London, Essex,  and fictional England, and WWI -- Hastings is home from the war for convalescence.  So to go with it, I read the poem, "In Flanders Field" by John McRae, and several of the other poems on the same site.)
  • 10.  "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" by J.K. Rowling. (London or Surrey)
  • 9.  "An Unsuitable Job For a Woman" by P.D. James. (Mainly Cambridge, some London)
  • 8. "Creative Schools" by Ken Robinson and Lou Aronica.
  • 7.  "CopShock: Surviving Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)" by Allen R. Kates.
  • 6. "Rethinking School: How to Take Charge of Your Child's Education" by Susan Wise Bauer.
  • 5. "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" by J.K. Rowling.  (London or Surrey)
  • 4. "Guerrilla Learning: How to give your kids a real education with or without school" by Grace Llewellyn and Amy Silver.
  • 3. "Monkey Mind: A Memoir of Anxiety" by Daniel Smith.
  • 2. "Mother had a Secret: Learning to love My Mother & Her Multiple Personalities" by Tiffany Fletcher.
  • 1. "Life's lessons Learned" by Dallin H. Oaks. (LDS)

• Like 6

A bookish post ~ A Library Fit For A Hero  by Susanna Kearsley on the Word Wenches site.

"In an earlier post, we talked about the hero in the library. But libraries are nothing without books, and in there are times in a novel when someone has to actually take a book off the shelf and do something with it, so today I thought it might be fun to share how I go about stocking the shelves for my characters.

Since most of my books are twin-stranded, I probably ought to point out that I mean the historical characters, since when it comes to the modern-day ones I just let them take what they want from my own bookcases (and I know at least two of them, in separate books, have “borrowed” Wilkie Collins’s The Moonstone…)

But the historical characters pose a particular challenge. I have to consider not only the time that they’re living in, but where they’re living (the New World or Old? Town or country?), their social position, the language (or languages) that they can read, and their politics, and their religion, before I can start to guess what books they might have acquired for themselves, let alone what they might have inherited...."

Also  50 Must-Read Books On Nature and Science  by Aimee Miles

Today only free download:

The Confessions of Saint Augustine by Saint Augustine

"Written between 397 and 398 CE, The Confessions of Saint Augustine is the story of Augustine of Hippo’s childhood in Numidia, his youth and early adulthood in Carthage, Rome, and Milan, and his conversion to Christianity. As he struggled to liberate himself from his sinful past, Augustine embarked on a quest that would transform him into one of the most influential religious thinkers of all time.

A moving testament to the power of faith and an inspirational guide to a fulfilled life, The Confessions of Saint Augustine is a masterwork of Western literature."

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Some recent reads here ~ 

I enjoyed  Evolved  by N.R. Walker (adult content)

"In 2068, androids are an integrated part of human life. Big Brother no longer just watches from the shadows. It's in every household.

Lloyd Salter has OCD issues with noise and mess, and he's uncomfortable with human interaction. When his ex claimed the only thing perfect enough to live up to his standards was an android, Lloyd dismissed it. But two years later, after much self-assessment, he thinks he may have been right.

SATinc is the largest manufacturer of androids in Australia, including the Fully Compatible Units known as an A-Class 10. Their latest design is the Synthetic Human Android UNit, otherwise known as SHAUN.

Shaun is compatible to Lloyd's every need; the perfect fit on an intellectual and physical basis. But Lloyd soon realises Shaun's not like other A-Class androids. He learns. He adapts. Sure that SATinc is aware Shaun functions outside of his programmed parameters, Lloyd must find a way to keep Shaun safe.

No one can know how special Shaun is. No one can know he's evolved."

I also enjoyed a re-read of Cut & Run (Cut & Run Series Book 1)  by Madeleine Urban and Abigail Roux.  (Adult content)

"A series of murders in New York City has stymied the police and FBI alike, and they suspect the culprit is a single killer sending an indecipherable message. But when the two federal agents assigned to the investigation are taken out, the FBI takes a more personal interest in the case.

Special Agent Ty Grady is pulled out of undercover work after his case blows up in his face. He's cocky, abrasive, and indisputably the best at what he does. But when he's paired with Special Agent Zane Garrett, it's hate at first sight. Garrett is the perfect image of an agent: serious, sober, and focused, which makes their partnership a classic cliché: total opposites, good cop-bad cop, the odd couple. They both know immediately that their partnership will pose more of an obstacle than the lack of evidence left by the murderer.

Practically before their special assignment starts, the murderer strikes again – this time at them. Now on the run, trying to track down a man who has focused on killing his pursuers, Grady and Garrett will have to figure out how to work together before they become two more notches in the murderer's knife."

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 2

Strep cleared up any, Amy? We hope chicken pox and measles aren't waiting in the wings.

If anyone is still looking for West Riding of Yorkshire, I just realized that, since that's where the Brontës were from, Elizabeth Gaskell's Life of Emily Brontë is surely (ha ha) set there.

And does anyone have any suggestions for upcoming Buckinghamshire or Herefordshire? All I have for the former is Rebecca West's The Return of the Soldier, and for the latter, Auden's poem "The Malverns," and Wordsworth's "Tintern Abbey."

ETA: Hey, Amy & Sandy: Is "Herefordshire" a typo on the Ichnield Way list of counties? Herefordshire is way west, next to Wales; Hertfordshire is the county between Buckinghamshire and Essex.

And there's a book I'd already been planning to read set in Hertfordshire.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Violet Crown said:

<snip>

ETA: Hey, Amy & Sandy: Is "Herefordshire" a typo on the Ichnield Way list of counties? Herefordshire is way west, next to Wales; Hertfordshire is the county between Buckinghamshire and Essex.

<snip>

Jumping off from this, I see that Dorset is listed twice:    week 19, Ichnield Way, and week 29, Fosse Way.  (This is from the printable list Any and Sandy so graciously provided.)

• Like 3

On 5/9/2018 at 9:03 PM, marbel said:

Very glad he is okay. Are you going to buy him safety goggles to finish his model? 

On 5/10/2018 at 9:06 PM, aggieamy said:

My least favorite stories are the espionage ones! Ugh. I was wondering what you would think of it when I saw you were reading it.

One benefit of being super busy with work is that I get a lot of audiobooks in. When I'm doing stuff that doesn't require lots of brain power I can listen. I've listened to four books this week. Four!

I've also gotten strep throat. How does that work?!!? I'm too old for a kid sickness.

I'll pop back in tomorrow and report on my audiobooks.

Hope you are feeling better. What made you think strep is a kid illness? Every year I know adults who get it. Unfortunately, it's not a one-time illness that you build lifelong immunity to. You can get it over and over at any time. My dh and I got it a few years ago. The weird thing is that neither of us had a sore throat. We just had tremendous debilitating headaches and low-grade fever. The doctor said it's not uncommon for adults to not have sore throats when they have strep. I hope you are able to "treat" your strep throat with some nice cooling, yummy ice cream or sorbet. Whichever you prefer. Strep is no fun especially when you remember that you can get it again! Have you been able to read? I couldn't read when I had strep cause my eyes and head hurt too badly. Audiobooks are a life saver. I look forward to hearing about the audiobooks you've listened to. 

This afternoon, I finished Nick and Jake: an Epistolary Novel. It was pleasantly different from my normal reads. 

• Like 5

Marbel and VC............Consider Amy and Sandy to be in consultation..............

Btw, I finished The Virgin Widow by Anne O'Brien which was an OK read.  It told the story of Anne Neville (wife of Richard 3) in a sympathetic manor and I liked It because I like Richard. Lots of counties,..........Berkshire, Dorset, N. Yorks, York, Warwickshire, Kent, Gloucestershire, Worcestershire, W. Midlands.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Violet Crown said:

Strep cleared up any, Amy? We hope chicken pox and measles aren't waiting in the wings.

If anyone is still looking for West Riding of Yorkshire, I just realized that, since that's where the Brontës were from, Elizabeth Gaskell's Life of Emily Brontë is surely (ha ha) set there.

And does anyone have any suggestions for upcoming Buckinghamshire or Herefordshire? All I have for the former is Rebecca West's The Return of the Soldier, and for the latter, Auden's poem "The Malverns," and Wordsworth's "Tintern Abbey."

And there's a book I'd already been planning to read set in Hertfordshire.

Shhh. I don't even want to hear the C*** P*** or M*** words mentioned around here. We've had crazy outbreaks of both in Kansas City. Our insurance isn't good enough to deal with that type of illness. We'd have to resort to essential oils instead of antibiotics.

Note to Sandy .. They've figured us out. Do we play this off like we meant to do it or own up to it being an accident?!?!

Note to everyone else ... Your Bus Drivers might have been reading the map wrong.

"Oh hey, what does this north arrow up here mean?" *rapidly flips map around* "Oh. Whoops. That's almost in Wales. Turn the bus around!"

We've been caught. After Buckinghamshire head to Hertfordshire. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

2 hours ago, marbel said:

Jumping off from this, I see that Dorset is listed twice:    week 19, Ichnield Way, and week 29, Fosse Way.  (This is from the printable list Any and Sandy so graciously provided.)

You see we really needed an extra county on the list because we had to end up in London in October for Spooky London. The map went through Dorset again so we added it back on the list otherwise we would have ended up with September London which doesn't have the same charming sound to it as Spooky London. (Particularly when I say Spooky in my head like spoooookeeeeee.) We also made sure to choose a county that seemed to have lots of options for a second book from there. Nobody wants to go back through Tyne and Wear again.

We're happy to allow it as a WILD CARD or catch up week if you don't want to read a second book set in Dorset.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Some currently free books for Kindle readers ~ 

for young people, this has many good reviews (sadly the author died in his mid-thirties):  Elizabeth’s Legacy (Royal Institute of Magic, Book 1)  by Victor Kloss

The Course of Empire (Course of Empire Series Book 1)  by Eric Flint and K. D. Wentworth

• Like 3

Now that we've straightened out the Herefordshire vs Hertfordshire fiasco out ...

I just finished listening to The Fair Miss Fortune by DE Stevenson because it was set in Herefordshire and I wasn't going to abandon a book for a town that I was going to "visit" in a few weeks. It was just awful. The book was found in DE Stevenson's attic after she died and was published posthumously. So silly. I'm going to spoil it for you guys because I want to save everyone the pain of reading it. (Actually all is given away in the first couple of chapters so it's not really spoiling it.) A girl moves to town with her twin sister but they pretend to be one person for absolutely no good reason. Two friends think they've fallen in love with the same girl. The last scene is the two men storming to the house to see who the girl really loves and finding both girls sitting in the living room. They all start laughing. The end. *Cue heckling by disgusted reader.*

Miss Silver and the Chinese Shawl by Patricia Wentworth - I picked this up because we were just discussing the Miss Silver books. There's a bit of the inta-love that modern audiences roll their eyes at but if you can get past that it's a good mystery. I couldn't figure out a location for it so I'm calling it a WILD CARD. The audiobook narrator was great.

For those of us that have read and enjoyed Miss Silver Comes to Stay there's a fun character overlap between these two books.

The Reluctant Widow by Georgette Heyer - This was a second listen for me and I enjoyed it much more the second time around. A big suspension of disbelief is necessary to enjoy it but the dialogue and characters are so witty that it pays off. Also more insta-love. *eye roll* Set in Sussex. I'm really trying to get off the Rebel Bus and back onto the Mystery Tour but haven't yet.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, aggieamy said:

<snip>

You see we really needed an extra county on the list because we had to end up in London in October for Spooky London. The map went through Dorset again so we added it back on the list otherwise we would have ended up with September London which doesn't have the same charming sound to it as Spooky London. (Particularly when I say Spooky in my head like spoooookeeeeee.) We also made sure to choose a county that seemed to have lots of options for a second book from there. Nobody wants to go back through Tyne and Wear again.

We're happy to allow it as a WILD CARD or catch up week if you don't want to read a second book set in Dorset.

Ah... I either didn't know that, or I knew and forgot. Either way, not a problem!  I know just the author to turn to for an extra Dorset book!  ?

• Like 5

Shhh. I don't even want to hear the C*** P*** or M*** words mentioned around here. We've had crazy outbreaks of both in Kansas City. Our insurance isn't good enough to deal with that type of illness. We'd have to resort to essential oils instead of antibiotics.

Note to Sandy .. They've figured us out. Do we play this off like we meant to do it or own up to it being an accident?!?!

Note to everyone else ... Your Bus Drivers might have been reading the map wrong.

"Oh hey, what does this north arrow up here mean?" *rapidly flips map around* "Oh. Whoops. That's almost in Wales. Turn the bus around!"

We've been caught. After Buckinghamshire head to Hertfordshire. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Of course we all want to read more Hardy! Right?

Thanks for the clarification on Hertfordshire. Now I can read about Graham Greene's miserable childhood in Berkhamstead.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Mom-ninja. said:

Very glad he is okay. Are you going to buy him safety goggles to finish his model? 

<snip>

Thank you.  Re: goggles - we have goggles all over this house.  He wears goggles at work (cleaner and general helper at a welding shop), to  mow the lawn and do other yard work... he might wear safety goggles to put coolant in his car.   :-)  So we have goggles!  He thinks the glue bottle had a clog in the opening and when he pressed it, blew out a seam and shot out the wrong way.  As he told me "Mom! Do you think I had the glue bottle pointed at my FACE? Do you think I'm that big an IDIOT?"   However he did wear goggles when gluing the next day.  :-)

LOL.  By the way, I can no longer just type goggles without really thinking.  It comes out as... you know it... googles.

• Like 4