Menu

Mother's Day

kfeusse

4 hours ago, marbel said:

That's great.

I like getting kitchen stuff as gifts.  But so many people dismiss that kind of thing as a bad gift. I'll take a good saucepan or even some fresh dishtowels or interesting spices over a piece of jewelry any day.  

One year I asked for a flan pan for Christmas.  My son asked me for more ideas.  I said "well, I really would like a flan pan."  But he didn't want to give me that because he loves flan and it would seem like a lousy gift because he would benefit from it.  So I still don't have a flan pan.  (I do have pans in which I can and do make flan, so it's not a need, just a want.)

dsil was influenced by his mother and the expectation of "nice" jewelry.   dd told him she wasn't interested in an engagement ring.  they went ring shopping - so she did pick out a setting.  he decided the diamond wasn't nice enough - and without her knowledge, exchanged it out for a very nice rock.(same setting)    for an anniversary  (last year?), he wanted to get her earrings to match.  he had learned enough to ask her.  she wanted a viola instead.

I'm working to get her baby blanket in the mail so she can have it for mother's day.   

1dd- would also much rather have quality kitchen stuff.    

though dh - one year he made me open my birthday present early.   he wanted to use it. . . . it was a kitchen aid mixer.

I want a day off, without needing to be the one to do all the work to make it happen. I want DH to find a sitter for a day, pay them (or call a friend or family member who will do it as a favour), and let me be shocked and surprised that I get a day to do whatever the heck I want with no one hanging off of me, asking me for more milk, telling me I marked their exam wrong, asking me for more milk, complaining that they have to dissect something for biology (yes, AGAIN, it's biology), whining about having to actually practice piano, asking me for more milk, begging for more time in front of the computer, or realizing that the reason they keep needing more milk is that they keep dumping it on the floor under the table.

What I will actually get: a hastily hand-drawn card on spare printer paper from a toddler that they made at Dad's sudden request at 7:30am on Sunday morning when DH's phone sends him a reminder that oh, crap, it's Mother's Day. Followed by an immediate request for milk.

• Haha 3

I would love to spend a pleasant, low-key day with my husband and both kids, maybe finding someplace that serves a decent vegan brunch and then wandering Disney Springs for the afternoon . . .

However, my kids aren't speaking to each other, my daughter lives in New York, my son has a rehearsal and I work Sundays.

So, I will probably get a couple of texts wishing me a happy day.

• Sad 1

We're another family that doesn't do gifts for "Hallmark Holidays".  

Dh will make a nice dinner on Sunday and my mom and oldest dd will come over.  We'll get my mom a card and a plant (because it's important to her).  Dh did plant a bunch of new stuff in my garden bed that he set up for me last fall, so that counts.   I'm good with that.  

This year I want a large print Bible. My old one is falling apart, and so are my eyes. And I would love some flowers for the flower pot out front. It is the time of year to plant. So some new fresh pretties would be nice. 

Also, just a hint, my dh and kids go every year to a photo booth at the mall. They spend 5 bucks and get one of those old fashioned photo booth picture strips for me. Dh started it when dd15 was a baby, and has gone every year. I made a mini scrapbook out of these photos and put in any cards or pictures they make for me at Sunday School or anywhere as well. It is my most treasured possesion. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, 2_girls_mommy said:

Also, just a hint, my dh and kids go every year to a photo booth at the mall. They spend 5 bucks and get one of those old fashioned photo booth picture strips for me. Dh started it when dd15 was a baby, and has gone every year. I made a mini scrapbook out of these photos and put in any cards or pictures they make for me at Sunday School or anywhere as well. It is my most treasured possesion. 

I love this!  I would love any pics from the kids.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kassia said:

I love this!  I would love any pics from the kids.  

It's funny. I take them to Santa Claus and get a picture almost every year, but I couldn't tell you where most of those pics are. My poor youngest, being born in the digital age, has almost never had a professional pic taken when I took dd15 like every 3 months. ? We don't even hardly develop all of our phone pics, but they are there and stored on computers if we needed some. 

But my Mother's Day book has a pic every year. We never miss one. I always put it right in the book so they don't get lost. This has just been one tradition that has lasted for me. Each kid has their own mostly filled out baby book. I made one full scrapbook for the older two their PreK 4 year as their official start to homeschooling --- ugg. Time to get on that for baby. And that is it, lol. They will have to fight over who gets the Mother's Day book, or take the time to make copies when I am gone. 

• Like 2

On 5/7/2018 at 12:04 AM, AimeeM said:

Well, we seem to be in the minority here, but we enjoy (and celebrate) the "Hallmark Holidays" (Mother's Day, Father's Day, Valentine's Day, etc.). 

I never know what I want, though. DH is pretty good at gift-giving, and drags the kiddos into that, so I don't mind being surprised (most of the time, lol). He always cooks a special dinner for Mother's Day. 

Me too! I don't consider them any less important than other holidays. And yes, I'd like some gifts ? 

I'm asking for (and getting) some pretty jewelry type bands for my fitbit, so I can dress it up when I go to church or other places. Not sure what else I want, really. We will have brunch with my sister and her kids at my mom's house that day, and I'm very grateful to be able to do that. 

• Like 3

Dh and kids are great gift givers and always get me something sweet and thoughtful for Mother's Day. This year, they are making donations to a horse rescue and our local Humane Society, which is what I really want. ❤️

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

Me too! I don't consider them any less important than other holidays. And yes, I'd like some gifts ? 

I'm asking for (and getting) some pretty jewelry type bands for my fitbit, so I can dress it up when I go to church or other places. Not sure what else I want, really. We will have brunch with my sister and her kids at my mom's house that day, and I'm very grateful to be able to do that. 

We love all holidays here. My mother always did and still does now even with no kids in the home or grandkids nearby decorated the house for every holiday. She loves crafts and pinteresty things. She sews and quilits and makes things for every holiday. She was a Martha Stewart type before anyone knew the name. So I grew up with changing decorations and looking for any reason to celebrate. I am not a Martha Stewart type. But my kids and I enjoy making paper hearts for valentine's day and making breakfast in bed for Father's Day and whatnot. We like having a special day for ourselves just as kids like having their birthday to celebrate. 

• Like 1

My Dh renews our art museum membership every year around Mother's Day & makes sure I get the magazine/ catalog for the museum(s) so I can make plans for what I want to see in the upcoming months.  I also put a handful of things on my Amazon wishlist for Dh to show the kids and let them choose something.  It might be a new kindle cover this year. We don't go out to eat on Sundays so Dh will grill something that I take out of the freezer.  Usually the dinner out happens on Saturday, but this year Saturday is crazy busy because Dh & Ds are volunteering with the Special Olympics that day & Dds & I are volunteering at our local Grateful Garments.  

I don't mind celebrating the Hallmark Holidays, I just want a relaxing day that doesn't somehow leave me with a mess to clean up.

Father's Day is the one that usually turns out difficult because 24 years ago our first dd was born on Dh's birthday in June, which just happened to be Father's Day!  

Amber in SJ

• Like 1

Don’t any of you have to spend your Mother’s Day with your mothers or MsIL?  

I have to spend every Mother’s Day with my MIL, even when the kids were little and it was a hassle taking them out to restaurants (major hassle, just not normally worth it.). 

Now that the kids are older and can handle themselves in restaurants without tossing food around, it’s fine.  But when they were small, it was grueling to have to go out on Mother’s Day.  When I have DsIL, I’m going to be very clear that I don’t expect them to do anything with me on Mother’s Day.  If they want, I’ll take the kids for the day and let them relax.  I think mothers who are actively in the middle of parenting kids, especially kids under 13, should be given the day off, and not be expected to gather up the troops and head to a restaurant with the in-laws.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Garga said:

I have to spend every Mother’s Day with my MIL, even when the kids were little and it was a hassle taking them out to restaurants (major hassle, just not normally worth it.). 

Now that the kids are older and can handle themselves in restaurants without tossing food around, it’s fine.  But when they were small, it was grueling to have to go out on Mother’s Day.  When I have DsIL, I’m going to be very clear that I don’t expect them to do anything with me on Mother’s Day.  If they want, I’ll take the kids for the day and let them relax.  I think mothers who are actively in the middle of parenting kids, especially kids under 13, should be given the day off, and not be expected to gather up the troops and head to a restaurant with the in-laws.

We are going to spend the morning with my mom, but at her house, not a restaurant. My dad will grill or smoke something yummy. We'll play in the pool and hang out, me, my family, my parents, my sister, and her kids. The cousins love each other and it will be a blast. Exhausting, but fun. Sometimes we celebrate on a different day, but usually mother's day we spend at my mom's house. 

Father's day I send my dad a bunch of books for his kindle and he goes fishing with my mom on their boat, and my family goes to the aquarium or science center or such. 

• Like 1

On 5/9/2018 at 11:32 AM, Garga said:

My MIL died before dh and I were married. We go to the beach every year with my parents in May. For years, it included Mother’s Day and it was always much more about my Mom than me. She cares a lot more about the actual day so we would do a special meal out for her. And yes, it was a pain to be out with little kids in restaurants. But dh would make sure at some other point in the week that I had some time alone, which is really what I wanted most then. The past couple of years, we go to the beach a week later in May and it doesn’t really make sense to have my parents visit the week before so now we do something I want do do on the actual day and then take my Mom out on another day when we are at the beach. 

I agree with you about how I want to be as a Grandmother/MIL. 

• Like 1

I *always* ask that my kids play violin for me. Seriously, I'd be happy w/ Twinkles! 

I told DH I would like some shampoo and conditioner, not pricey, but just to change things up w/ my hair. I'm talking $5 for both. It's been a tough year for MIL, so I want all our efforts and money going to spoiling her this weekend. 

That said I would love, love, love to have my car vacuumed out and for us to find something to remove the white numbers that are on one of the car seats from my ds's last year of playing baseball. All those years of baseball, and in his last season, the combo of the heat and those letters left a reminder on my seat. Any ideas? 

Funny story...

One year, my SIL (DH's sister) made reservations for her parents, her own DH and kids, and her siblings for Mother's Day. No in-laws were invited. 

Even funnier...her sisters went without their spouses or children!

My DH and his brothers who were married and had kids said they would NOT be attending without spouses and kids so my SIL relented and enlarged the reservations to include spouses and kids who wanted to attend. 

And in even more funny, just so much funny:

The reservations for the ILs were in ANOTHER ROOM of the restaurant.

Good times, good times...

On 5/9/2018 at 8:32 AM, Garga said:

Mother's Day has always been about my MIL and GMILs. My husband is wonderfully sweet and usually gets me chocolate in the morning before church and the kids make me wonderful cards. But we HAVE to always go to MILs or there will be hell to pay. Thankfully we don't have to go to restaurants but just their house. But I agree with you that I want to be a completely different MIL and I love your idea of taking the kids and giving the day off.

On 5/9/2018 at 10:32 AM, Garga said:

My mom and MIL have both been gone for many years, so I'm the only mom around here.

I agree with you and think I'll do the same, if and when I have grandkids.:smile:

I have been estranged from my family of origin for a couple of decades (and have no desire to change that).

My lovely MIL unfortunately died several years ago. We didn't live anywhere close, though. So even when she was still with us, Mother's Day contact was limited to a phone call.

Have to, no. Want to and will happily, yes. But if there was a restaurant involved I'd decline to participate. Instead, the morning will consist of dh making breakfast for our household, which includes my dad and mom now. Then later for dinner dh and my bil will make dinner for all the mom's of the family, mil, dh's 2 sisters, dh's grandmother, and me. This is what mother's day is always like, unless I want to do something specifically with dh and the kids. Usually I just like the normal routine.

• Like 1

I had my very best Mother's Day ever last year -- After church (at which we delivered roses to the ladies in several of our older sunday school classes) we came home to leftovers and played games all afternoon. We scrounged for dinners and I went to read a book while my husband cleaned up the dishes.

My parents will be here this Sunday but I expect everything to go very similar (Except we are getting Chinese takeout for lunch this Sunday and I expect I'll end up with an extra crab ragoon because there are always not enough for 2 each and I am one of the Mothers after all. So the quality of scrounging for dinner will be better as well)

Just responding to OP...  It doesn't occur to me to want anything for Mother's Day, honestly.  We do stuff with/for my mom and MIL, and DH and I have never made a big deal out of all the extra holidays, even Memorial Day or Independence Day are largely just...days.  So the honors go to the matriarchs and we probably wouldn't mark it much at all otherwise.  

Mother's Day this year is my husband and FIL driving all the computer equipment across the country to our new house.  Youngest and I will fly out a week later.  I will spend part of it with MIL whose daughter died last fall and like I said, her son and husband are on the road.  I don't want anything.  My oldest is moving to another state and middle daughter will move in August to the same area I'm going to in a week. 

Normal years I just like it when my kids cook dinner, clean up the kitchen for me, and give me chocolate.  I'm easy to please that way.

We'll have lunch with my mom (I want to -don't have to) and then just hang out at home. I don't really ever want to do anything big and I'm not big on gifts for this day. I do enjoy the cards they give though.

I did tell them that we will be watching the PBS Little Women that premieres Sunday night. I'm excited for that.

I'm hoping for lunch out after church. We've spent a load of $$ recently on home improvements, and we just got back from a mini- vacation/IKEA trip. Asking for something more would be excessive. 

I wouldn't mind being left alone for a few hours, though. Me + my bed + a book + coffee/snack = pretty near bliss. 

• Like 1

I just came across this blog post by one of the women leaders on my church.  the first time I've actually enjoyed what it had to say about mother's day.  she's a never married middle age woman with no children who had an eye opening experience driving through the mts in iraq to deliver supplies to the yazidi.

(re: the comment about God living in an eternal "now" . . . stephan hawking postulated that all time is present/non-existent/etc. inside a black hole.)

For Mother's Day, I want to be woken up at 6 a.m. by a well-meaning Wee Girl who is too eager to bring me breakfast in bed to wait another hour. 

I want dh to offer to take me running on a 5-mile loop around Town Lake before it gets hot, since I'm up already.

I want a box of super-dark chocolates from Great Girl, who loves them, which I'll divide up among the lot of them because I don't really eat chocolate anymore but they haven't noticed.

It will all be perfect. Someday I'll have all the things I think I actually want instead, and it will be very sad.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Violet Crown said:

For Mother's Day, I want to be woken up at 6 a.m. by a well-meaning Wee Girl who is too eager to bring me breakfast in bed to wait another hour. 

I want dh to offer to take me running on a 5-mile loop around Town Lake before it gets hot, since I'm up already.

I want a box of super-dark chocolates from Great Girl, who loves them, which I'll divide up among the lot of them because I don't really eat chocolate anymore but they haven't noticed.

It will all be perfect. Someday I'll have all the things I think I actually want instead, and it will be very sad.

I really love this!

On 5/7/2018 at 7:48 AM, marbel said:

That's great.

I like getting kitchen stuff as gifts.  But so many people dismiss that kind of thing as a bad gift. I'll take a good saucepan or even some fresh dishtowels or interesting spices over a piece of jewelry any day.  

One year I asked for a flan pan for Christmas.  My son asked me for more ideas.  I said "well, I really would like a flan pan."  But he didn't want to give me that because he loves flan and it would seem like a lousy gift because he would benefit from it.  So I still don't have a flan pan.  (I do have pans in which I can and do make flan, so it's not a need, just a want.)

Me, too! For my first wedding anniversary, DH gave me a Kitchenaid Stand Mixer. I was THRILLED! My SIL was horrified! We didn’t have much money then and that was, to me, a very expensive gift and it was something I very much wanted and knew would be useful for ages. 

I still use it constantly, 24 years later! 

• Like 1

I am going to get what I want, which is to watch my 14yo play baseball.  He has always been on teams that dIdn’t play on Mother’s Day weekend out of deference to the moms, but this mom wants nothing more to watch her favorite catcher play.  So, after two games today, we start bracket play at 9 AM tomorrow.  I would be even happier if he gets a couple of solid hits and—if I can be really greedy—throws out their lead-off hitter when he tries to steal second. Cause that’s really fun. 

• Like 1

I received the best Mother's Day  gift ever today when all my sons(even the adults) and my dh cleaned out the garage for me!  Best gift ever!  It was a mess and now I can easily walk to freezer, extra fridge and to the driveway!  They got rid of a LOT of junk.  I'm so thrilled!  I didn't even ask ... It really wasn't too much on my radar other than as a vague project for someday.

I cooked supper for my mil tonight and am spending part of the day with my mother tomorrow and cooking again for a large group but I don't care because my garage is clean!

• Like 2

I wanted to go out to eat at a favorite restaurant, which is almost an hour away. They are closed on Sundays, so we went tonight. I wanted my favorite cookie from a cookie place nearby it, but they were out of them. 

Tomorrow, I want to play some of my favorite board games. I might request to watch a movie or something. 

I am hoping they got me another favorite treat, but we'll see. 

So time together and favorite foods. That's good. 

I'm getting cheap earrings from DD7, pretty new band for my fitbit from DS5, a lightweight, inexpensive cotton blanket from DD1, a cable to plug my phone into the Aux input in the van from DS18,, and the big present from DH is one of those Tile things that let me use my phone to find my keys or my keys to find my phone. 

I have also asked for everyone to go to Mass with me...not sure that will happen. Neither DS19 or DH usually go. 

My kids got me what I asked for, donations to Day's End Farm Horse Rescue and our local Humane Society - and also some beautiful flowers. Dh got me a gift card for a new purse, since the one I have now is currently held together with duct tape. :wub:

On 5/5/2018 at 1:23 PM, Arctic Mama said:

I just want some time alone watching Infinity War in the theater.  We don’t have any babysitters here so getting date time is kind of impossible, but I’m a MCU junkie and would really love that ?

My dh is taking the kids to see Infinity War so that  I can have some alone time! Lol. I can't wait. 

Well my DH is sick and my kids did nothing.  This year is pretty much a Mother's Day fail for me thus far unless a surprise is coming.  Usually DH at least produces a small gift.   But I will be taking my mother out today and I know she will be delighted so I'll try and suck up her joy.  

We ended up not going to my mom's as she and my dad are sick. So I feel badly about that. But we will go next weekend to celebrate with her, and I have a feeling she and my dad are enjoying a quite day together. 

Meanwhile, I honestly have had the very best mother's day ever. I woke up snuggling the baby and the 5 year old. And then the 5 yr old let the dogs out so I could snuggle longer. My DD7 left a sticky note that said Happy Mother's Day on the Keurig for me to find when I got up. DH fed the kids breakfast while I had coffee. And he got the baby dressed and diapered while I showered, even down to her cute silver sparkly shoes. then we all EVEN THE AGNOSTIC TEEN!!! went to church together, which was my one big wish. It was packed so we had to stand but that was fine...there were at least 75 other people standing too, many of them kids camped out on the floor...it was a lovely lovely sight. And then we stopped at a brand new coffee house that is on the way home and had delicious, locally roasted coffee and pastries before heading home to relax. 

I am truly blessed and very very very grateful. I can remember so many mother's days where I had one child, no husband, and felt I'd never have a big family to fill a pew. Today I did, and I realize how much of a blessing that is. 

• Like 6

What I wanted: My two oldest daughters calling me to wish me a Happy Mother's Day (one didn't even call me for my birthday the other week). 

What I got: Baklava from my nouna (godmother). A corsage from the basket at church and picked out by my youngest daughter. Two books and a komboskini for my youngest daughter from the Church bookstore (one book is for her and one book is for me). Leftovers from GyroFest.

I always want my kids to play violin for me. I'm talking Twinkles. Really. Since the semester hasn't ended yet, I wasn't going to see them, so I was hoping my kids would FaceTime me so I could see their faces, wish me happy MD, and, if they had time between studying for finals and papers and projects due, play a song or two. That's not what I got. 

At ~10pm last night DH said he needed to get something out of the car. He came back inside and said, "Come look at the stars with me." I had just put on my shoes and walked to where he was when a car came up the driveway. It was my children!

I had talked to ds yesterday. He said he was at the pool. I laid into him about not studying for his last final which I thought was Monday. DH "said" he had taken off work on Monday to go pick him up.  Ds got out of the car came towards me w/ a huge smile and his arms open wide to hug me and said, "Happy Mother's Day!" I felt like the biggest jerk! He's home for the summer. Color me happy. DD had something yesterday so that arrival time was the earliest it could be.

DD has much work left for grad school plus work and grading as a GSA. She left about an hour ago to return to her home. She is so busy and so stressed, that I can't believe it was her idea to bring ds home and surprise me. Dh played it all perfectly too!

As if seeing them wasn't enough they gave me a gorgeous journal AND they played 5 songs for me on their violins. 

Best Mother's Day ever!!!

• Like 6

I really didn't want much.  Just to actually spend time with my children, who all live at home.  Nothing big, maybe a walk through a local botanical park and a game or something.  What I got ... a hug and a kiss from dh, oldest ds barely acknowledgin me, attending mass where everyone was all gushing about Mothers' Day and what fantastically thoughtful kids they had, a homily that was all "we thank our mothers" with only a nod to those who were having a crummy Mothers' day.  I didn't want to go to church because for this very reason.  Fought back tears the entire time.  Got home from mass and found that dd left to meet a friend to work on a project for school.  I haven't seen her yet.  K is in her room, not having come out yet. Oldest ds handed me a card at 4pm despite being home all day.  Dh is making dinner and I need to paste a smile on my face and not act as disappointed as I am.  I'd like to exist somewhere else for future Mother's Days.  K's illness has fractured our family and I am feeling that loss very deeply today.  2 of my kids are counting down the days til they leave for their futures.  

Somebody should have blocked social media in our house, so that I didn't have to see those cards, flowers, smiling faces of other people's children.

(Just yesterday, dd sat on my lap for the first time in years ... and it will likely be the last.)

Sorry to be such a downer.  I'm growing to hate holidays.  I just want to bingewatch something until they are over.

• Sad 2

Ellen, I'm so sorry!!!! I want to smack your DH and any of there others out there and tell them to wise up and take care of the mother of their children today! 

And hugs to not just you but all the women hurting today. I read something recently about how we cycle through good and bad times and it is hard to see others have a "good" time when we are in a bad time, but on the other hand, how much worse would it be if everyone was in a bad time at the same time...society wouldn't function and there would be no one to give us hugs or words of encouragement when we need them most. 

I don't know if that helps really, but it does make sense theoretically. 

Sending hugs. 

I'm sorry that I came across begruding anyone a good Mother's Day.  I'm happy that others are having good days.  It's just hard having it all in your face and completely ignoring that this is a hard day for many.  I really needed to just hibernate with Netflix and not look at social media.  But, I'm lonely in my own household and crave human connection, so I just can't help myself.  

14 minutes ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

I'm sorry that I came across begruding anyone a good Mother's Day.  I'm happy that others are having good days.  It's just hard having it all in your face and completely ignoring that this is a hard day for many.  I really needed to just hibernate with Netflix and not look at social media.  But, I'm lonely in my own household and crave human connection, so I just can't help myself.  

You didn't say anything wrong! You don't begrudge them their happiness, you are just sad you don't have it too. I'm feeling that way about all the graduation/college acceptance/etc announcements. It doesn't mean we are bad people, just human. 

• Like 1

Well I got what I wanted—an outstanding defensive performance from my favorite catcher.  He caught 13 innings in 90+ degree heat, and he threw out what would have been the go-ahead run at 2nd to push the first game into extra innings, which we won.  Our boys were exhausted for game 2, so we lost it in a close one, but they played some great baseball this weekend.  All told, I watched 5 baseball games this weekend, four of his and one college game.  It was awesome!