Menu

Hewitt's Conceptual Physics Answers?

I promise I searched for this but came up dry.  I'm trying to buy the books I need for Conceptual Physics, specifically the high school edition, though I would guess they were all similar, and was hoping someone could tell me which books have answers in them. Are there answers in the back of the student book?  Do I need to get the Teacher's Guide for answers?  Do any of the other supplements come with answers, especially the tests?  Thanks for your help!!!

I have the 2006 edition of the high school book and the TE. No answers are in the student book. I haven't found tests. I have purchased the Laboratory Manual, the Concept-Development Practice Book, and the Problem-Solving Exercises in Physics. The Problem-Solving book has select answers in the back but none of the Challenge Problems for Further Study that are in each section. 

I'll be happy to share ISBN numbers if you need them. 

I plan to make my own tests unless I find something very useful. I'm teaching this in a co-op where I'll have all the students 8th-12th grade. I will be basically giving two levels of assignments and tests because of the math abilities of the younger students. 

3 hours ago, mom31257 said:

I have the 2006 edition of the high school book and the TE. No answers are in the student book. I haven't found tests. I have purchased the Laboratory Manual, the Concept-Development Practice Book, and the Problem-Solving Exercises in Physics. The Problem-Solving book has select answers in the back but none of the Challenge Problems for Further Study that are in each section. 

So are all the answers to the text in the teacher's edition, or just select ones, or none?  Also, does the Concept Development book even need an answer key?  I'm not even sure what kind of problems it has in it.  I've seen that there are teacher versions of both the Development and Problem-Solving books, so I'm guessing full answers would be in there.  Thanks for your help!!!

I have the 2002 high school edition, both the student book and the TE, and the answers to the questions (end of chapter assessments, review questions, think and explain questions) in the student book are in the TE. This is the TE I have.

This is the test booklet I have that corresponds the the student text I have, and the answers to the tests are in the back of the booklet.

I do not have the Concept Development book or the Problem Solving book, so no help there.

8 hours ago, travelgirlut said:

So are all the answers to the text in the teacher's edition, or just select ones, or none?  Also, does the Concept Development book even need an answer key?  I'm not even sure what kind of problems it has in it.  I've seen that there are teacher versions of both the Development and Problem-Solving books, so I'm guessing full answers would be in there.  Thanks for your help!!!

Yes, my TE does have the student book answers. The Concept-Development book has a lot of fill-in-the blank questions and some multiple choice type questions. I'd be glad to take pictures and email you anything you would like to see. You could message me your email address.

Those books that I bought are all published in 2002, but they seem to match up well with my text topics. 

My students will be working at home in between our co-op classes, and we will only be meeting every other week. Most of the parents will be no help to them, honestly. I plan to set up an online classroom so that they can discuss questions.

23 hours ago, Zoo Keeper said:

I have the 2002 high school edition, both the student book and the TE, and the answers to the questions (end of chapter assessments, review questions, think and explain questions) in the student book are in the TE. This is the TE I have.

This is the test booklet I have that corresponds the the student text I have, and the answers to the tests are in the back of the booklet.

I do not have the Concept Development book or the Problem Solving book, so no help there.

3 amazon reviews on the Conceptual Physics Teacher's Edition Teachers Guide Edition and all of them worthless

oh well that's why we need this forum

• Like 1

So I've gone ahead and gotten a student book, teacher's guide, concept development book with its teacher's edition, and a test bank. I got the 2009 edition, so I'll update once I receive them on what kind of answers they all have. Thank you all for your help!

On 5/4/2018 at 9:56 PM, mom31257 said:

I plan to make my own tests unless I find something very useful. I'm teaching this in a co-op where I'll have all the students 8th-12th grade. I will be basically giving two levels of assignments and tests because of the math abilities of the younger students. 

I was wondering how you teach the class so it's enough for the older students with out overwhelming the younger students with less math abilities?  Do you call the class "conceptual" for the younger and "physics" for the older?  I'm curious because I am looking at teaching chemistry using the "conceptual chemistry" in the future but was going to limit it to the younger students because I didn't know how to do what you are planning.

9 hours ago, hsmom08 said:

I was wondering how you teach the class so it's enough for the older students with out overwhelming the younger students with less math abilities?  Do you call the class "conceptual" for the younger and "physics" for the older?  I'm curious because I am looking at teaching chemistry using the "conceptual chemistry" in the future but was going to limit it to the younger students because I didn't know how to do what you are planning.

I've never taught it before, so I can't say I've made it work successfully yet. I sought out advice from another teacher, and she said perhaps the youngest students could be graded on the conceptual work rather than much of the math. I plan to begin the year with a math "boot camp" and teach things like scientific notation, significant figures, unit conversion, and basic algebra. I hope to be able to access their skills then. 

As far as the tests, for the conceptual level students, I will focus on the chapter's vocabulary, material I have taught in class,  and the concept summary and review questions at the end of the chapter. I'll add in more problem solving for the next level students. 

If you mean what to call it on the transcript, I was thinking the conceptual level students could call it physical science and the others physics because those are the choices in our state requirements. 

We normally have labs at every co-op, but I feel we are always rushed. I've asked the parents to consider changing it up a bit. I might have some simple demonstrations in our class time but will mostly teach, answer questions, etc., and periodically, we will bring our lunch and stay all afternoon to do a lab intensive of sorts. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got all of my books and thought I would post the answer to my question and the ISBN numbers of the books I got.

2009 High school edition student text with the roller coaster on the cover - no answers - 9780133647495

2009 High school edition teacher's edition - same as the student book but with answers in an additional sidebar as well as other helpful hints and tips - 9780133647501

2009 High school edition Concept Development Practice book - no answers - 9780133647303

2009 High school edition Concept Development Practice book teacher's edition - identical to the student version but with all the answers printed in red - 9780133647518

2009 High school edition Chapter and Unit Tests - answers in the back - 9780133647563

Hope this is helpful to someone!

• Like 5