Menu

IMHO

Tanaqui

What does the H in IMHO stand for?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. What does the H in IMHO stand for?

• Humble
    • Honest
    • Other/I have no opinion on this

Humble. Dr. Laura, on the radio, used to say, In my not-so-humble opinion...” so I have always equated it with “humble.” 

Additionally - “In my honest opinion”? What else would you give? Your dishonest opinion? What would your honest opinion even be? “I swear, this is really and truly my opinion.” It’s oxymoronic. 

<tongue in cheek> emojis are failing me, so I have to be sure nobody thinks I’m actually flipping out. 

• Like 10

I always think "honest".  Like when someone asks you, "What do you think?" and you say, "Honestly, I think blah blah blabbedy blah blah."   I never even use the phrase, "In my humble opinion..." unless I'm feeling snarky and 100% correct on whatever it is.

(I used to think SMH meant, "so much hate...")

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

I stumbled across another while looking this up on the inter webs cause I still can’t really believe there are people that use it to me honest lol (and I am in the car with DD driving, so bored lol)

SMH-I always though it was “smack my head” but some people mean “shake my head?”

(FTR, DD didn’t know that one either.)

*raises hand*

I didn’t know the S stood for anything but “shake”

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

See, when I want to say “honestly, blah blah blabbedy blah” I just type it that way lol

Also...so much hate????

(man I need emojis back )

I was floored when I saw someone use it on here, so I finally looked up what it really meant, because I was certain that wouldn't be a phrase that person would ever use.  Made so much more sense.

I remember wondering if “JAWM” meant something like “Just A Whiny Moment.” It was clear that the person didn’t want a bunch of “shoulda, coulda, wouldas” when they posted JAWM, so I guess the gist was correct. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Quill said:

I remember wondering if “JAWM” meant something like “Just A Whiny Moment.” It was clear that the person didn’t want a bunch of “shoulda, coulda, wouldas” when they posted JAWM, so I guess the gist was correct. 

Um, so I assume it doesn’t mean that (now) so what does it stand for?

4 hours ago, Corraleno said:

FTW and TFW both threw me for a while

What is TFW? I don’t remember seeing that.

Is FTW “For the win”?

2 minutes ago, mom@shiloh said:

I don't know these either.  What are they?

ftw = for the win, tfw = that feeling when

I always read imho as 'in my honest opinion'. imnsho always throws me for a loop for a second because I think it's 'in my not so honest opinion' until I remember some people use the 'h' as 'humble'

• Like 2

10 hours ago, StellaM said:

Humble. Which is why I often skip the h and just put imo ?

'Cos it's fake humble. If anyone was really humble about their opinion they wouldn't be spouting off on a message board!

This is good to know this is how this is perceived!

I mostly use "imo" but sometimes use "imho" in the same way that people here use the word "gently"...sort of "I know I'm sticking my nose in but really just want to help."

I think I'll stick to "imo" in case the other comes off snarky!

• Like 3

When Dr. Laura used to say, “In my not-so-humble opinion...” I used to think, “Then just say, ‘In my opinion...’” Because, yes, to me, adding “humble” is to say, “Feel free to do what you want anyway; it’s just one person’s .02,” while saying directly, “In my opinion...” feels more like advice you pretty strongly endorse. 

Ex.:

”In my opinion, you should tell Two-Timing Dirtbag Guy that No, there is no second chance, mainly because he blew right on by chance #2 and is up to chance #27 now.”  Contrast with:

”In my humble opinion, the pink dress highlights your complexion better than the green dress, though they are both lovely.” 

“In my honest opinion” still makes no sense to me. Presumably, if I am giving you my opinion, it is the option I believe to be true. When people use, “To be honest...” or, “honestly, I think...” it is usually meant to stem what could sound harsh otherwise.  “To be honest, green does not look particularly nice on you; pink is the better color.” Or, “Honestly? I think Jack is a giant douchebag and you are wasting your time going back over there.” 

P.S., Oh, I just remembered Dr. Laura actually used to say “...never-to-be-humbled opinion.” It’s a waste of words and it sounds so arrogant. 

Like I said above, honest makes more sense to me because I want an honest opinion. I don't want it you to be nice. Give it to me straight, Jack! That's how I read it...you're about to tell me how you *really* feel.

Humble seems odd. It feels like the person is either too meek or trying to manipulate me. The first, I want to help find a voice. The second, I want to smack upside the head.

1 hour ago, Quill said:

“In my honest opinion” still makes no sense to me. Presumably, if I am giving you my opinion, it is the option I believe to be true. When people use, “To be honest...” or, “honestly, I think...” it is usually meant to stem what could sound harsh otherwise.  “To be honest, green does not look particularly nice on you; pink is the better color.” Or, “Honestly? I think Jack is a giant douchebag and you are wasting your time going back over there.” 

Ah, ok, here's the disconnect.  I don't think I've been in a conversation where I've been asked opinions on relationships or attire.  It's usually stuff like "what do you think the post-credit scenes of the next Marvel movie will have" or "when do you think Jim Butcher is finally going to publish the next Dresden book" or "do you think we should stop at home between ball games in case a kid has to poop".  I don't do "emotional value" conversations well or with any regularity.

• Haha 1

Is this a post modernist thing when people think that they can just change a phrase’s meaning to what “makes sense to them “?  

This is literally how language has always worked. It changes.

But in this case, my guess is that those people had never seen what IMHO stands for, they'd just figured out the gloss through context and guessed at the exact composition of the constituent words.

As for tfw, I usually parse it as "that face when" because I see it tied to reaction gifs! All of which perforce have faces.

I was floored when I saw someone use it on here, so I finally looked up what it really meant, because I was certain that wouldn't be a phrase that person would ever use.  Made so much more sense.

To be perfectly honest, I find "shaking my head" to be waaaaaaay snottier than "so much hate". I dunno, it just seems like it means the same thing, but it's said in a unnecessarily sanctimonious way. But that's just my opinion.

9 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

To be perfectly honest, I find "shaking my head" to be waaaaaaay snottier than "so much hate". I dunno, it just seems like it means the same thing, but it's said in a unnecessarily sanctimonious way. But that's just my opinion.

I always read SMH as "smegging hell," because I've watched way too much Red Dwarf.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/4/2018 at 4:16 PM, Jean in Newcastle said:

I don't take my language cues from Buzzfeed. . .    It is "humble". 

Agreed. If one were less kind one could say that BuzzFeed is where you work if you don't want a humanities OR a STEM degree. 

But then, 16% of respondents here appear to support the "honest" attribution. I have never seen "in my honest opinion" used in literature, news / reporting or art so if this is a thing it surely started after 2006 or so.

• Like 2

Yo, guys, Buzzfeed has legit Pulitzer winners on staff. Apparently their business model always was to lure is in with quizzes and listicles (and online polls), then sneak in a dose of hard-hitting investigative journalism.