Menu

Audiobooks for me for a long car ride

AFwife Claire

I was going to search for this, since I know I've seen threads about this, but I thought I'd just ask again.  Next Saturday I'm driving from VA down to AL to pick up my second son, and I was hoping for some good audiobook recommendations.  What I don't like--lots of cursing or big sex scenes.  I really have a hard time listening to much cursing--I can gloss over it a lot easier when I'm just reading it myself than I can when listening. Thanks!

I just finished this book.  It was powerful.  Story of 2 sisters that spans 20 years and 3 continents.  One mentally Ill, the other trying to care for her.  

Note though....there are a few brief, not very explicit scenes in the book.  The audio version was wonderfully done, but the book itself could have done without these few brief scenes/references.

Screenshot_20180428-193609.png

• Like 1

My favorite audiobooks are:

The Girl With All the Gifts by Mike Carey

The Last One by Alexandra Oliva

I am Legend by Richard Matheson

The Bishop's Wife by Linda Wallheim

The Boston Girl by Amanda Diamant

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafron

Mr Penumbra's 24 hr Bookstore by Robin Sloan

• Like 1

These are some great suggestions!  I am reading reviews on amazon right now!  

I loved Orphan Train, so I'm very interested in another one by that author.

I read East of Eden for a book club when we were stationed in Ohio.  I still remember it, and some of the discussion points from the club, very vividly--it definitely made an impact.

My oldest son read The Martian and recommended it, but I had totally forgotten about it.

Thanks so much much!  The car trip down will be about 10 hours, but I'm actually looking forward to all the time by myself, lol.  Usually we take family trips, and the audiobooks are all kid-related (which I have enjoyed too!), so it seems like a real treat to have books just to my taste!

• Like 3

Hoping you do come back later and let us know what you did listen to  ((-:

Adding some my favourites to this thread with a disclaimer... books have to suit the mood I'm in at the time, a summertime, super-light, listen can seriously irritate in winter :

A Reluctant Widow ~ Georgette Heyer ( absolute flufferton listen. Gentle, cosy, English mystery.  Any romance is clean)

News of the World ~ Paulette Jiles (BaW recommendation. Loved it!)

North and South ~ Elizabeth Gaskell (listening to this now, it's like Charles Dickens and Jane Austen birthed this book. Charming)

Gray Matter ~ David Levy (N/F. Medical Memoir/Christian)

BBC Dramatised Charles Dickens 

Scaramouche ~  Rafael Sabatini  (the narrator was fine once I settled into the story)

First Lady ~ Sonia Purnell ( Biography about Clementine Churchill)

• Like 3

I logged on to the new forum because I finally had something to contribute?

The Glass Castle is a very enjoyable audiobook. A true story read by the author. 

A whole different genre are the books by Liane Moriarty. They make the time go by quickly. 

• Like 1

Just now, Toocrazy!! said:

I logged on to the new forum because I finally had something to contribute?

The Glass Castle is a very enjoyable audiobook. A true story read by the author. 

A whole different genre are the books by Liane Moriarty. They make the time go by quickly. 

ETA -  I have zero idea where my user name came from?!? I was Lewber, although I didn't really post enough that it mattered. But that's weird. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5