Menu

Come join the discussion - Bible Believing Chrisitans

TechWife

Can I please join too?

Going back to read the links now. As someone who grew up with DV, and who has personally helped a christian woman leave her dv husband with support from our church, I have zero tolerance for this from church leaders. None.  

• Like 2

I wish I'd been prepared to type DH's rant when I told him about this.  It was half an hour long, biblical, and ended with self-defense instructions to the DD in the room on how to disable a man in case she ever finds herself taking a beating. ?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I was raised that the only scriptural reason for divorce with freedom to remarry is adultery.  For cases of abuse, during the 70s, 80s, and 90s it was common to hear similar advice, to be more submissive, pray etc. Yes, there was extensive damage.  That's changed now in that denomination, as far as women are not criticized for separating or encouraged to stay. But neither are they encouraged to leave or call the police.  They still are not allowed a scriptural divorce on those grounds (abuse). although divorce without remarrying for that reason is not considered a sin. So I have known women who legally separated or actually divorced, but just have not gotten remarried.

My personal views have changed somewhat.  The example Jesus gave of adultery is clearly one of the parties breaking the bond of the "two being one flesh".  I cannot imagine another way  to more clearly violate the concept of "one flesh" than abusing the other person.  A person would never do that to their own body, ever.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, goldberry said:

I was raised that the only scriptural reason for divorce with freedom to remarry is adultery.  For cases of abuse, during the 70s, 80s, and 90s it was common to hear similar advice, to be more submissive, pray etc. Yes, there was extensive damage.  That's changed now in that denomination, as far as women are not criticized for separating or encouraged to stay. But neither are they encouraged to leave or call the police.  They still are not allowed a scriptural divorce on those grounds (abuse). although divorce without remarrying for that reason is not considered a sin. So I have known women who legally separated or actually divorced, but just have not gotten remarried.

My personal views have changed somewhat.  The example Jesus gave of adultery is clearly one of the parties breaking the bond of the "two being one flesh".  I cannot imagine another way  to more clearly violate the concept of "one flesh" than abusing the other person.  A person would never do that to their own body, ever.  

I have seen abuse and adultery equated with abandonment.  Abandonment doesn't just mean physically leaving, of course.  "Breaking the bond of the two being one flesh" is a good way of putting it, I think.

• Like 2

Wow I had never heard of Patterson but that's just not okay.  Having not been raised in the church, and never having experienced this kind of "teaching" I am always shocked.  I know none of these so called leaders and don't really pay attention to them but maybe I should so I can decry them.

On 5/4/2018 at 9:25 PM, Patty Joanna said:

And NO one is exempt from their judgment.  After Hank Hanegraaf entered the Orthodox Church, Pulpit and Pen wrote an open letter of condemnation to the Orthodox Church.  :::yawn:::

I like to refer to it as the Pig & Pulpit.

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...

Even more ugly has come to light in the past week or so. As of Wednesday, Paige Patterson is no longer the president of SWBTS. Here are my thoughts, as posted on the Bible believing Christians club: 

Patterson was removed from his position as president of SWBTS. He has been given the title “president emeritus” and will get free on campus housing as a “theologian in residence.” 

I am encouraged by baby steps - he’s out of a job. I am discouraged at what the trustees had to say in their statement. Baby steps are steps, so I am hopeful. It’s going to take a long time to get to the bottom of the muck and examine it in the light of Biblical truth and then to make changes accordingly. 

https://swbts.edu/news/releases/statement-regarding-dr-paige-patterson/  Now  we wait to see who will preach at the annual meeting. Then, after the annual meeting, it will be time to get to work and fix this mess.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TechWife said:

Even more ugly has come to light in the past week or so. As of Wednesday, Paige Patterson is no longer the president of SWBTS. Here are my thoughts, as posted on the Bible believing Christians club: 

Patterson was removed from his position as president of SWBTS. He has been given the title “president emeritus” and will get free on campus housing as a “theologian in residence.” 

I am encouraged by baby steps - he’s out of a job. I am discouraged at what the trustees had to say in their statement. Baby steps are steps, so I am hopeful. It’s going to take a long time to get to the bottom of the muck and examine it in the light of Biblical truth and then to make changes accordingly. 

https://swbts.edu/news/releases/statement-regarding-dr-paige-patterson/  Now  we wait to see who will preach at the annual meeting. Then, after the annual meeting, it will be time to get to work and fix this mess.

It could be they are cautious and not wanting to jump ahead of themselves before investigating and what not (I don't know the exact structure of the SWBTS). Perhaps eventually they will let him find his own housing...

I have attended a S. Baptist church for the last 10 years.  I am not really Baptist, but at the time, this church was a good fit.

I still didn't know who Patterson was until now.  

We have stayed at the Baptist church because of my middle son.  He is graduating from HS this year and once he does, we will be leaving the church and finding another.  For many reasons, but the women's roles in the church is one.  I grew up in a church where women could be ordained.  I don't feel comfortable where they can't.  But this is even more extreme.

• Like 1